London Moorings for up to 3 weeks???

matty40s

Featured Posts

I may have to leave the boat for up to 3 weeks in October, I am currently in Central London and was aiming to be up the L'n'Stort by then. I can't really stretch to a marina.

Is there anywhere recommended, and anywhere you wouldn't touch with the narrowboat pole??

I know Hackney etc is no go.. how is Tottenham and North of there?

I may have to leave the boat for up to 3 weeks in October, I am currently in Central London and was aiming to be up the L'n'Stort by then. I can't really stretch to a marina.

Is there anywhere recommended, and anywhere you wouldn't touch with the narrowboat pole??

I know Hackney etc is no go.. how is Tottenham and North of there?

So, what you are saying is;

Can anybody recommend somewhere safe where I can get away with overstaying.

• Greenie 1

I would call BW, explain the reason for the overstay, and ask them if this would be okay with them.

They very rarely say no, especially out of season, and if BW says it is okay, then who cares what anyone else thinks?

Upon this point I would agree.

However, if the OP intends to simply try and get away with overstaying, he mustn't expect any sympathy for me!

So, what you are saying is;

Can anybody recommend somewhere safe where I can get away with overstaying

No, I do not wish to overstay, or indeed pay nothing at all,

and haven't mentioned staying on visitor moorings (although if I have to I shall be comtacting BW to let them know the situation).

I have also been into the BW offices down here repeatedly seeking any information on Winter Moorings as the e-mail arrived and still we have no information As BW STILL havn't got roun'Tuit.

If you look back at my initial question, I am asking peoples advice on ANY moorings (as some responses already show) as I may be unable to move the boat for 3 weeks.

sorry, edited to ask opinions advice again after Dave tried to have his usual fight in a paper bag with a couple of soggy crisps and an apple core.

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1

Why is Hackney 'no go'? I would have recommended the Middlesex Filter Beds or Walthamstow/Hackney Marshes as I've spent some lovely winters in those spots without any more or less hassle than I've had elsewhere.

But would you leave a boat there unattended for three weeks as it would appear that the OP wants to do - I don't think so.

Tim

But would you leave a boat there unattended for three weeks as it would appear that the OP wants to do - I don't think so.

Tim

I left one at the Middlesex Filter Beds for two weeks while I was in Spain once and then left it again at Walthamstow for 10 days while I was the USA. I guess I'm living on the edge?

Edited to add that when I left the boat at the Filter Beds, a mouse moved on board. That was pretty gross but hardly constitues a 'no go' scenario.

Edited by Leonie

everyone goes Hackney ooh no (as they do Tottenham) but theyre confusing rural Hackney with urban Hackney. There are loads of liveaboard boats moored at the locaations Leonie mentioned, so your boat will not stand out as unnattended.

ETA If it was our boat then Id rather leave it at tottenham than enfield or above waltham town lock simply because there are more boaters around.

If the OP moored opposite our marina at Stonebridge I could arrange with a neighbour to watch it for him. My berth is already being used by someone else unfortunately.

Edited by Lady Muck

ETA If it was our boat then Id rather leave it at tottenham than enfield or above waltham town lock simply because there are more boaters around.

I left my boat just under Waltham Town lock once, with the agreement of the Manager of Hazlemere Marina for 4 weeks over Christmas as I went to Australia to visit my family. I think that marina is closed/closing now so this wouldn't be possible but you could definitely leave it above the lock with little or no trouble. I did have four bags of coal nicked off the roof while I was gone but it was the first truly cold winter the UK had seen in years so I considered it long term mooring fees and thanked my lucky stars that they'd left me the other four.