Rescuing images from an SD card

Guest User

Featured Posts

OH's camera decided to violate it's own SD card ... subsequent switching on and off, removing and reinserting the card was to no avail, all it keeps saying is "card error".

Since then, we've tried using the laptop to read the card, but the computer says "disk not formatted, format disc ? (Y/N)".

As yet, no reformatting has been done (!).

I've previously had this happen (on a different camera) and simply bought a new card, but this time there's some photos we'd like to recover if at all possible ... does anyone know if there's any downloads out there to help salvage the contents of the card ?

Edited by Graham!

OH's camera decided to violate it's own SD card ... subsequent switching on and off, removing and reinserting the card was to no avail, all it keeps saying is "card error".

Since then, we've tried using the laptop to read the card, but the computer says "disk not formatted, format disc ? (Y/N)".

I've previously had this happen (on a different camera) and simply bought a new card, but this time there's some photos we'd like to recover if at all possible ... does anyone know if there's any downloads out there to help salvage the contents of the card ?

I have used this card recovery software to save some valuable images before.

http://www.cardrecovery.com/sd-recovery/

It cost me but they do a trail version which shows (but from memory doesn't allow you to fully recover and save until you purchase) worked a treat for me.

We have a stand alone card reader which your welcome to use if your passing, but it does sound like the card is corrupt in some way, would a company like Jessups have a look for you in store? Think theres one in Slough

Graham,

this sounds like damage to the file aquisition table.

google a peice of freeware called 'recuva' .

download and install this and it will find and recover any and all files, use the deep scan mode and it will recover files even after formatting.

Cheers Mark.

Additional thought. If you or a friend don't already have an imaging program and feel able, you could try using something like Clonezilla. The aim being to make a sector by sector copy of your SD card. This way if you do accidentally damage the data on the card while attempting to find your images, you could still have a copy elsewhere to attempt recovery from.

Good luck with it.

Andy.

Edited by Changing Tack

• 2 weeks later...

An update on this ...

I've tried several of the (free) file recovery programmes, sadly no success.

Worst was Recuva, it refused to even try with the dead SD card.

Other programmes (ZAR, CardRecovery, Stellar Phoenix, Photorec, etc) at least went through the motions of scanning the SD card but all failed to find any files at all (?).

Least worst Most useful was PC Inspector File Recovery, it was unable to read the card but at least by way of apology it gave an error message; "NT_read error - Error no.23 drv:129 LA:0 blocks:2" (don't know what it means though, any ideas ?)

By way of extra dicking about observations; my desktop (Windows XP professional) is unable to read the SD card ... every time I plug it in via a card reader to the USB port, it reports that the card is unformatted ... so, with nothing left to lose I let the PC have a go at formatting the card - to which it answered "unable to format drive E:" .... I get the impression most of the recovery programmes would work fine if the the card still had a readable formatting structure ? I also get the feeling it's probably a failure of the internal connections within my card rather than a data corruption issue ?

This is the second I've had that's failed, both have been Lexar 4GB SDHC.

Edited by Graham!

Sorry my recomendation didn't help...If you care to send me the card i,d be happy to try with card recovery on my pc . Pm me if interested.

I have a similar "situation" on my PC / card readers...

It seems that the faster cards can not be read on older card readers - which to me suggests that there is a driver issue...

or the faster cards "wiring" is different.

I don't know if you can check if another ( later ?) card reader will read it ? It could be something to do with the 32 / 64 bit

structure as well - I have not got to the bottom of why with mine, other than some cards have to be read in some readers

and some on my latest W7 PC

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I have a similar "situation" on my PC / card readers...

It seems that the faster cards can not be read on older card readers - which to me suggests that there is a driver issue...

or the faster cards "wiring" is different.

I don't know if you can check if another ( later ?) card reader will read it ? It could be something to do with the 32 / 64 bit

structure as well - I have not got to the bottom of why with mine, other than some cards have to be read in some readers

and some on my latest W7 PC

Nick

The thing about SDHC cards and older card reader drivers is quite true, and if you persevere you may be able to find a more up to date driver. I managed to for my old Acer

Richard

The thing about SDHC cards and older card reader drivers is quite true, and if you persevere you may be able to find a more up to date driver. I managed to for my old Acer

Richard

Thanks for the confirmation - I will try and find drivers that make it work...

Nick

Had a similar problem, ended up by putting the SD card into an USB adapter (from Poundland) which is then plugged into a USB port, hey presto it worked! (just lucky I guess). Might be worth a try?

Ditchdabbler

Not just lucky. The USB adapter you bought will be OK for the SDHC card, and will connect to the PC via USB. By buying my modern hardward (the cheapo USB adapter), you solved your own problem!

Good one, and all for a pound

Richard

If you think it might be a software driver issue then try a platform other than Windows. Mac OSX is particularly strong with device drivers. Some Linux systems can be good with drivers too.

If you can't get your SD card to read on your PC, install a different operating system?

I think I'd go for the Poundland USB special before buying a Mac to solve this particular problem.

Richard

Sorry my recomendation didn't help...If you care to send me the card i,d be happy to try with card recovery on my pc . Pm me if interested.

Thanks for the offer. I seem to be getting somewhere now that I'm back in the UK and have access to my own laptop; Previously my desktop PC didn't want to know (a venerable Dell on XP professional) even with various USB 2.0 card readers including the Poundland jobbie ... however, my laptop (HP DV7 with Windows 7) with integral card reader slot manages to read the card ... well sort of, it can create a catalogue, and read some of the image files ... but after acouple of goes at copying the files to another drive it gets upset and tells me to it can't read the card any more. So far none of the recovey progs have managed to read the card on either machine. I've tried running disc-check to repair but it hasn't done much to help as far as I can see ... I've got a dozen or so images back ... I'll keep pecking away at it and see how many I can recover.