Busiest Canals BW figures

magpie patrick

Featured Posts

Okay, well you did ask. The following are from BW’s lockage report 2009, which contains figures for 2008. the report is mainly lockages, which are measured by remote metering on how often the lock fills (the assumption being that it empties once for every time it fills, although this could be leakage rather than operation). BW have formulae for converting lockages to boat movements, but while they are a useful rule of thumb they aren’t that reliable when applied universally. For example, on average a narrow lock will see four boats for every three fillings, because a boat going down a full lock doesn’t need to fill it, but at busy times boats going down full locks is more common as queues occur. It gets even more complicated for broad locks, which are more likely to be shared at busy times. But here goes

I took locks with under 500 lockages (in the other thread)and over 4000, there were more of the latter than the former.

The busiest locks. Now this is where a wide lock, or especially a large lock like those on the Aire and Calder, might really be carrying a heck of a lot more traffic than a narrow lock, but on the basis that for highway capacity the measure is “ratio of flow to capacity” I haven’t tried doing the sums on how many boats, there are only so many times a lock can be worked. Because water supply is the issue, certain waterways like the GU and the T&M are well represented, whereas the Llangollen and rivers like the Soar are not. This is the top twenty, another 9 recorded over 4000 lockages

1. Woodend, T&M 9525

2. Colwich, T&M 9495

3. Wychnor, T&M 8041

4. Marston Doles, Oxford 7689

5. Calcutt Top 7454

6. Tixall S&W 7434

7. Napton Bottom 7348 (2007 figure)

8. Star T&M

(made famous by Terry Darlington) 6821

9. Hillmorton no.2 6773

10. Gailey S&W 6652

11. Bakers (Oxford) 6566

12. Hillmorton no.3 6500

13. Brick Kiln S&W 6425

14. Tyrley 6235

15. Atherstone Top 5974

16. Watford no.1 (GU Leics) 5873

17. Bradford K&A 5872

18. Cockshutes,T&M 5589

19. Kings, T&M 5202

20. Whitley, Aire and Calder 4950

The GU doesn’t feature much for two reasons, one is wide locks (same boats for half the lockings) and the other is it isn’t actually that busy. Hire boats are the driver and south of Braunston there aren’t that many hire bases.The locks are recorded, but don’t make the list

Also note that Hillmorton no2 and Hillmorton no.3 are adjacent, they are the bottom pair of the Hillmorton locks which are duplicated. Between them the have a staggering 13,273 lockings a year (Hillmorton are numbered 2 to 7, with each duplicated pair of the flight of 3 having seperate numbers)

The GU doesn’t feature much for two reasons, one is wide locks (same boats for half the lockings)

For that reason, it is strange that Whitley Lock on the Aire and Calder appears on the list - it is a huge lock and could take nine narrowboats at a time with ease (although it is more normal for just two or three boats to pass through at a time).

For that reason, it is strange that Whitley Lock on the Aire and Calder appears on the list - it is a huge lock and could take nine narrowboats at a time with ease (although it is more normal for just two or three boats to pass through at a time).

Yes and Bulholme would have been 22 with 4644 lockages. I suspect it is the size of these locks that sees them getting monitored, and both have a "baseline" level of use through the gravel run to Wakefield, at a rough guess 1000 lockings a year.

Because of water management, Castleford is also recorded, at 1308, but it only gets counted of the lock is worked, which suggests 3 out of 4 lockings at Bulholme are when Castleford is level

Patrick,

Your list is in many places consistent with a report I saw, but curiously seems to omit at least a couple of high usage ones I saw.

I'll use 2008 numbers, as that seems to be what you have.

Because water supply is the issue, certain waterways like the GU and the T&M are well represented, whereas the Llangollen and rivers like the Soar are not.

Shropshire Union - Lock 4, Cholmondeston at 8014 not present ?

LLangollen - Lock 1, Hurleston at 7259 not present ?

The 2008 number I have for Staffs ans Worcs Tixall is 7734, not 7434

I also have the Napton 7348 figure as being a 2008 rather than a 2007 number ?

Possible my eyes are squiffy at this time in the morning, but I'm not convinced you have a top 20 that is fully consistent with other published numbers ?

There are two cases at least in my list where there is no 2008 number in my version of the list, but the 2009 numbers indicate that locks would have made it into your 2008 list.....

Coventry - Lock 12, Glascote is 6538 (2009)

Grand Union - Lock 6, Braunston is 6405 (2009

The GU doesn’t feature much for two reasons, one is wide locks (same boats for half the lockings) and the other is it isn’t actually that busy. Hire boats are the driver and south of Braunston there aren’t that many hire bases.The locks are recorded, but don’t make the list

See Braunston, above

There is suspect data for the GU in the report I saw.

Whilst I can believe Marsworth Top at 3203 and Cow Roast at 2410, it is inconceivable to me that Lock 1 on the Aylesbury Arm achieved 1405, (and it's not a blip, as 1507 is claimed for 2009). Something not quite right there, as there simply cannot be roughly half as many boats commencing the Aylesbury Arm as those locking onto to Tring Summit from the North

There is suspect data for the GU in the report I saw.

Whilst I can believe Marsworth Top at 3203 and Cow Roast at 2410, it is inconceivable to me that Lock 1 on the Aylesbury Arm achieved 1405, (and it's not a blip, as 1507 is claimed for 2009). Something not quite right there, as there simply cannot be roughly half as many boats commencing the Aylesbury Arm as those locking onto to Tring Summit from the North

Also the Aylesbury Arm is closed for most of the winter months.

Leo.

Alan, I've checked and you are right re: Braunston and Hurleston, but my report (an internal BW one) doesn't have any records on the Middlewich Branch

I've also missed one from the least used list, Rhodes Field

I'll amend but not now, I'm on the way to London and at Didoct Parkway as I type

As for the top lock on the Aylesbury branch, the anomaly is probably because the meters record lock fillings, and it's the top chamber of a staircase so will way over-read compared to a standard lock

Edited by magpie patrick

As for the top lock on the Aylesbury branch, the anomaly is probably because the meters record lock fillings, and it's the top chamber of a staircase so will way over-read compared to a standard lock

I suspect the local lenghtsman may also use the lock to run water down the arm? Could the counter differentiate?

I suspect the local lenghtsman may also use the lock to run water down the arm? Could the counter differentiate?

depends how much the water level alters, the counter relies on changes in pressure in a tube (well most do) and they are designed to be a bit insensitive so they don't count having to top up a leaky lock by a foot as "filling". That said, the only time I've tried opening paddles at both ends of a lock it got more than half full and that would definitely count.

We use just the top lock at Hatton to wind the boat opposite the cafe. Bet that messes the figures up!

Richard

Indeed it does, as does the presence of a hire base below lock one at Calcutt!

edited to add, there is a counter in the top chamber of Bingley Five Rise, I wouldn't even begin to estimate boat movements off it

Edited by magpie patrick

Is Bradford on Avon the only monitored lock on the K&A? Surely without at least monitoring Seend, but better the Caen Hill flight, you will not get a true idea of 'traffic' on the K&A, as Bradford on Avon is the only lock between Semington and Bath, and as such is used a lot by CM's who travel between Bath and Semington, but don't actually move beyond the Semington/Seend lock.

I don't think there is much traffic using the 'whole' of the K&A, but rather a lot of 'local' traffic, be they either short term hireboats, or local 'rezident' boats.

:lol: The state of the locks can't encourage much travel to be fair... :lol:

Is Bradford on Avon the only monitored lock on the K&A? Surely without at least monitoring Seend, but better the Caen Hill flight, you will not get a true idea of 'traffic' on the K&A, as Bradford on Avon is the only lock between Semington and Bath, and as such is used a lot by CM's who travel between Bath and Semington, but don't actually move beyond the Semington/Seend lock.

I don't think there is much traffic using the 'whole' of the K&A, but rather a lot of 'local' traffic, be they either short term hireboats, or local 'rezident' boats.

:lol: The state of the locks can't encourage much travel to be fair... :lol:

Others are monitored, but Bradford is the only one that gets in the top twenty

1. Woodend, T&M 9525

Just before the First World War, over 2 million tons of goods were carried on the L&LC, and around 1.75 million of those were between Liverpool and Wigan. If each boat carried 45 tons, then that works out at 38,888 loaded boats passing through the locks there annually, probably an understatement as some boats would not be fully loaded and many others would be returning empty. Makes you wonder why the L&LC is closed due to water shortage today when none of its locks appear in the 'top 20'.

Others are monitored, but Bradford is the only one that gets in the top twenty

Which kind of confirms my suspicion, that Bradford on Avon is busier probably because of hirers and 'rezident', because it is the only lock between Bath And Semington, and that is also the busiest stretch of the (western) K&A. Not many 'rezident' will go up or down the Caen Hill just to keep moving. Indeed, was it Frigate Captain who said that BW had 'confirmed' that if you 'cc'd' between Bath and Caen Hill, you were unlikely to get trouble?

We use just the top lock at Hatton to wind the boat opposite the cafe. Bet that messes the figures up!

Richard

Indeed it does, as does the presence of a hire base below lock one at Calcutt!

Compare the figures for Napton and Marston Doles to see the difference a few moorings can make

Alan, I've checked and you are right re: Braunston and Hurleston, but my report (an internal BW one) doesn't have any records on the Middlewich Branch

I've also missed one from the least used list, Rhodes Field

I'll amend but not now, I'm on the way to London and at Didoct Parkway as I type

That probably explains why Cholmondeston lock is not included, but I'm surprised that Church Minshull lock doesn't have a mention in the other figures as it always seems to be as busy as Cholmondeston!!

This report is in the public domain......

BW Annual Lockage Report 2009

That probably explains why Cholmondeston lock is not included, but I'm surprised that Church Minshull lock doesn't have a mention in the other figures as it always seems to be as busy as Cholmondeston!!

Only a relatively small number of locks have the recording equipment, and even then for some years data doesn't get listed.

I don't think you can read too much into some of the numbers. For example Cosgrove on the GU shows a much higher rate of usage than other bits of the GU, but I suspect if you had gigures for Leighton, 3 Locks or Stokew hammond they might also be higher, due to a big hire fleet that does a lot of short lets, and a general preference by the punters to travel in the direction with less locks.

Also the Aylesbury Arm is closed for most of the winter months.

Leo.

Since when? We moor at Aylesbury and reguarly go boating in the winter months.

Tim

Indeed,

Certainly was fully open when we visited in January.

However from my experience, averaging over an entire year, I think you would struggle to support the number of lockages BW are recording. There must be an awful lot of days when not a single boat passes that staircase.

I wonder if no locks above Hurleston on the Llangollen have measuring equipment as the flow of water round the weirs (caused by water fed down to Crewe waterworks) is such that opening all the paddles of a lock both ends leaves it little changed. So water volumes in these locks are not importent - what is is how much water flows into the reservoir at Hurleston as BW have to pay a penalty for under delivery. Hurleston locks are just below the reservoir inflow so get measured.

From the figures we are not surprised that the Heywood to Fradley bit of the T&M is the busiest bit and it's lightly to get worse as more marinas there fill up. Likewise the Shroppie.

Both the under 500 list and the top twenty, updated to take account of the mistakes Alan pointed out

All the under 500’s

1. Ellesmere Port Top Wide 35 lockings

2. Gardham (8, Pocklington) 55

3. Pool Quay (Monty) 95

4. Bow Locks 149

5. Rhodes Field, Ripon 153

6. Higher Maunsel (B&T) 154

7. Glasson Sea Lock 286

8. Lock 30W, HNC 307

9. Lock 16E HNC 349

10. Littleborough, Rochdale 354

11. Turnerwood 34, c’field 372

12. Lock 12W HNC 404

13. Sharpness 406

14. Gringley 61 c’field 425

15. Ellesmere Port Top Narrow 441

16. Lock 2 Huddersfield Broad 489

17. Bracebridge 51 c’field 490

And the busiest ones

1. Woodend, T&M 9525

2. Colwich, T&M 9495

3. Wychnor, T&M 8041

4. Colmondeston 8014 (From Alan)

5. Marston Doles, Oxford 7689

6. Hurleston 7529

7. Calcutt Top 7454

8. Tixall S&W 7434

9. Napton Bottom 7348

10. Star T&M

(made famous by Terry Darlington) 6821

11. Hillmorton no.2 6773

12. Gailey S&W 6652

13. Bakers (Oxford) 6566

14. Glascote 6538 (2009, from Alan)

15. Hillmorton no.3 6500

16. Brick Kiln S&W 6425

17. Braunston 6405

18. Tyrley 6235

19. Atherstone Top 5974

20. Watford no.1 (GU Leics) 5873

21. Bradford K&A 5872

22. Cockshutes,T&M 5589

23. Kings, T&M 5202

24. Whitley, Aire and Calder 4950

And for Luctor’s benefit the counts on the K and A

Lock 13 Widcombe Top 2289

Lock 14. Bradford 5872

Lock 15 Semmington 3477

Lock 21 Seend 3138

Lock 49. Maton, Devizes 1614

Lock 51 Wooton Rivers 2198

Lock 85 Newbury 2369

Regardless of boat numbers, that would tell me that, without intervention there isn’t a problem at Cean Hill but there is a big problem on the pound between lock 14 and 15 with not enough water, and between 13 and 14 with too much, especially as Widcombe Locks don’t have bywashes.

This report is in the public domain......

BW Annual Lockage Report 2009

Quite so, but that's not the report I've got...