What engine

Trix

Featured Posts

Hi I have just acquired a 27ft springer that has an outboard on it, we pulled it out of the water and it has a prop and shaft so we want to return it to an inboard. Question is what should I be looking for and where, as with everyone we are on a tight budget so it will have to be second hand, not worried about having to work on it (as long as I have a manual) as I work on engines, albeit bike engines for a living.

I need to know size, make, rough costs, where to look and anything i need to go with the engine. I have been told its better to fit a engine thats cooled from water housed in a tank in the boat (like a rad on a car) views please.

regards to all

How much room do you have to spare?

If you work out how much room you'd have for the engine, gearbox, batteries (if they're going to be housed in the engine compartment) aswell as the shaft, and other bits and peices, it'll be easier to work out what options you have.

It's just not just length and width which you need to take into consideration, but height aswell.

Any clues to what the origional engine was.If water cooled then there may be a skin tank ,if air cooled maybe some air vents[could have been welded up } Im quite in favour of air cooled Listers which come in a variety of sizes.Somebody else will be along in a minute with more thoughts..Hopefully.Good luck with your project.

currently the bed is where the engine would have been but this will be coming out so I guess to a certain extent we have a blank canvass however its a short boat so space will be a premium.

If the boat doesn't have the skin tank fitted, it might be better (and certainly cheaper) to go either air cooled or raw water cooled. As Liam has said, the room you have is likely to be a big factor in what engine you go for. Any idea what engine was there originaly?

Iain

Any clues to what the origional engine was.If water cooled then there may be a skin tank ,if air cooled maybe some air vents[could have been welded up } Im quite in favour of air cooled Listers which come in a variety of sizes.Somebody else will be along in a minute with more thoughts..Hopefully.Good luck with your project.

looks like there is some sort of pipe leading out into the water possibly blanked off I will try to get some photos of it

Sorry no idea about original engine wish I did then I would have an idea where to start

I'd say the SR2 would not have been common in something as short as 27 foot.

Most likely might be the Ducati.

Which, given their reputation, may be why it now has an outboard !

I suspect only a very small engine is likely to be able to be shoe-horned in ?

how many horse power am I looking for

Things like the Sabb were around 10 horsepower, and I suspect the Ducati was similar.

An engine not so far mentioned in this league would be a single cylinder Yanmar, which some speak highly of.

Mine, which is about the same length as yours (26 feet) is powered by a 3-cylinder Thornycroft, actually a marinised Mitsubishi. These were extensively used in plant equipment such as mini-diggers so there should be quite a few used ones about.

A lot of the early 'small' springers had single cyclinder Yanmars in them.

Yanmars have improved a lot over the years. Many of the early ones were taken out because of reliability problems and the fact that they 'rattled' themselves to destruction.

Like the boats, they were cheap engines.

A lot of the early 'small' springers had single cyclinder Yanmars in them.

Yanmars have improved a lot over the years. Many of the early ones were taken out because of reliability problems and the fact that they 'rattled' themselves to destruction.

Like the boats, they were cheap engines.

Here is my thinking and I know this will probably cause some discussion. I have read a great deal on various forums about people new to boats lasting 10 minutes because the dream is not the reality, I also read that holidays on boats are not what it is really like. So I found the boat I could afford that if it all went wrong would not break the bank (although it will I am sure put a large dent in it) springers are cheap and once its been fully replated will have a virtually new hull. My plan long term is to sell the house and buy a live aboard boat but that will cost me 30k upwards and is many years off. This old girl will have cost me 5k including the welding (full replate) and poss engine on a mooring that is perfect for us at this time. I work on engines although marine engines are a complete mystery at this point and diesel is fairly vague (I work on motorbike engines) so hopefully once I get my head round the differences I can do my own mechanics. The referb of the boat bits and pieces will be used as a learning curve for when I buy and fit out my bigger boat later on.

Yes I know this is all if's and but's and the springer is the skoda of the nb world, however after lots of thought this seems to be the most sensible route for me, it may all go wrong and there may be another cheap springer on the market soon or maybe just maybe this little boat will be the start of a dream that many have followed and loved. That's the thinking behind a cheap boat and engine. Be prepared for many more daft questions though.

All the best...........

Edited by Trix

Aye - but Trix would have a lovely trip down to Cornwall thrown in as well! :lol:

Travel to Cornwall a lot my children live in Bodmin have found an engine just up the road though ummmmmmmmmm