What engine

Trix

Featured Posts

If I was looking to re-engine a 27ft narrow boat which had the option of being propelled by an outboard motor I would go for a nice Honda 8hp four stroke outboard.

Electric start, very efficient, quiet as a mouse and it doesn't take any space away from the inside of the boat.

With the high cost of diesel and changes to the tax regime I don't really find that diesel engines have the inherent cost advantage that they have had before, specially for smaller vessels.

With the high cost of diesel and changes to the tax regime I don't really find that diesel engines have the inherent cost advantage that they have had before, specially for smaller vessels.

Hmmm, that's interesting...... Could you use a petrol car engine and 'LPG' it ?? Are there LPG sources available on the water ?? Would that be a good idea,do you think ?? If you did use a car engine,what would be the max advised power output ??

Hmmm, that's interesting...... Could you use a petrol car engine and 'LPG' it ?? Are there LPG sources available on the water ?? Would that be a good idea,do you think ?? If you did use a car engine,what would be the max advised power output ??

Petrol-engines are only safe as outboards, and some of the makers have GPL kits for those, as long as everything is kept outside and very well vented it should be safe.

Yanmar used to do diesel outboards that were pretty noisy in 27 and 32 Hp, and Coventry Climax had a go at it too, without success.

Peter.

There are couple of things here. Petrol becomes a vapour that is heavier than air, which in a car is no problem because it flows away at ground level. In a boat it collects in the bilges making an explosive mixture, and there has been a thread here recently about a boat that blew up. This is why the boat safety scheme is very strict about petrol. I believe LPG is much the same

Secondly, you'll pass loads of marinas and boats that will sell you diesel, but none at all that will sell you LPG. This could be a bit of a problem

Richard

Things like the Sabb were around 10 horsepower, and I suspect the Ducati was similar.

An engine not so far mentioned in this league would be a single cylinder Yanmar, which some speak highly of.

Another not yet mentioned...

http://www.bukhdiesel.com.au/spec_docs/BUK...V%2010%20ME.pdf

£800 with gearbox etc here

Possibly overkill, but a friend has the DV20 and it's a sewing machine that can seemingly take unlimited abuse.