New Look Aylesbury

Josher

Featured Posts

I have checked this time - and I am reassured that there is in fact a canal in Aylesbury.

Click for the architect’s impression of how the new Waitrose and Travelodge would look in Aylesbury town centre, and for loads of images and links to reports etc..

It's part of plans to 'open up' the canal near the new Waterside theatre.

Aylesbury Vale District Council is meeting to discuss the plans later this month.

The council will eventually get all the money back from the 2 new buildings costing 18 million pounds, and make some profit, by leasing them out over the next 25 years.

This is also means the Council retains ownership of the land.

There will be 280 new car parking spaces above Waitrose and 15 houses will be affected in terms of parking or views out of their window.

Next year the current Civic Centre car park will be demolished and replaced by a ground floor car park, which means the canal will be visible from Market Square.

The hotel and supermarket are part of phase 1 of planned improvements to Aylesbury.

The next stage would be to build the new Peter Jones Enterprise Academy on the other side of the canal basin.

The Academy building will also feature a restaurant with chairs and a piazza helping to give a more 'lively' feel to the canal basin.

No design has yet been approved for the Academy, and Mix96 understands the current HBOS building which is about to be vacated wouldn't meet the Enterprise Academies needs.

The next phase of development is to create 35 new shops including a Debenhams in a new look Aylesbury town centre.

Warners who own Aylesbury Hale Leys shopping centre were taking the plans forward but they have pulled out because of the recession which means no design has yet been approved.

TIMESCALE FOR THE WAITROSE AND TRAVELODGE

• July 2010 Submission of planning application

• End October 2010 planning approval

• End October 2010 to January 2011 Judicial Review period

• August to December 2010 procurement

• End January 2011 to end February 2012 construction

• February 2012 to June 2012 fit-out and opening

"A restaurant with chairs", eh? Obviously an upmarket development.

I similarly was disappointed that there was no canal arm when we went to Avebury a few years ago.

There is however a pub in the middle of the stone circle - very civilised!

Tim

It is my understanding that the Council's proposals for the Canal basin re-development will also involve evicting the Aylesbury boat Club, without whos sterling efforts over the past 40 years, the Aylesbury Arm would now be a derelect ditch.

It is my understanding that the Council's proposals for the Canal basin re-development will also involve evicting the Aylesbury boat Club, without whos sterling efforts over the past 40 years, the Aylesbury Arm would now be a derelect ditch.

They actually involve the construction of a new basin for the club about a mile up the canal.

Tim

They actually involve the construction of a new basin for the club about a mile up the canal.

Tim

Isn't the whole appeal of the current basin it's proximity to the middle of town ?

It certainly is, as visiting boaters and ACS and their boats are part of that experience.

Once all this has happened, what will still be there canal-wise at the current basin, please, Tim ?

TH1_157201053marinaartistsimpressio.jpg

Marina plans under spotlight

14 July 2010 Bucks Herald

Proposals to build a new canal basin and private club house in Aylesbury will be heard by a council planning committee on Friday.

The scheme is pivotal to Aylesbury Vale District Council's Waterside plans, by enabling the current facilities in Aylesbury town centre to be moved further up the canal to Stocklake.

However, while Aylesbury Town Council has raised no objection, the plans have been given the thumbs-down by Bierton Parish Council.

They say that the scheme should not be considered until firm proposals for around 70 new homes in the field opposite come forward, so that a proper assessment of its impact can be made.

They also have concerns over flooding, parking and the opening hours of the facility.

However, the district council argues that the application cannot be 'delayed indefinitely' pending the housing development.

The committee meets at 1pm at the Oculus in Gatehouse Road.

"A restaurant with chairs", eh? Obviously an upmarket development.

I similarly was disappointed that there was no canal arm when we went to Avebury a few years ago.

Are there restaurants without chairs?

If permanent moorings move out of town, well, mixed feelings, If vistor moorings move out, very bad

I may be a luddite, but I think that all the waterspace should be available to cruise, for example, that corkscrew bridge at Paddington Basin should be opened "on demand" for any boater who fancies touching the end.

Sark is about the only place that has no canal where I feel 100% comfortable, perhaps because it has no cars and very good cider

Are there restaurants without chairs?

My point entirely, MP - I wondered why that phrase occurred in the description of the development, as if the downtrodden plebs of the town had previously been forced to eat standing up or perch on those tiny semi-seats which are attached to the walls of certain fast-food emporia (or so they tell me :lol:

Whilst the plans may go ahead I fear that changes will be made that leave the canal in serious jepardy. One of the pictures in the op's clicky says, 'How the new Peter Jones Enterprise Academy may look'

Sometime ago I raised this. I found this PDF file This says to me the ACS is history. And my feeling is that as soon as the ACS are out then the plans will change significantly.

How is it that BW could give a 200 year lease to AVDC when the lease they gave ACS still has 7 years to run? Why didnt BW give ACS a 200 year lease in 1992?

How is it that BW could give a 200 year lease to AVDC when the lease they gave ACS still has 7 years to run? Why didnt BW give ACS a 200 year lease in 1992?

I don't know but if I was in charge BW (and all other navigation authorities) would be prohibited from parting with any land that has navigable water on it

I also didn't like the 1980's habit of moving railway stations at the end of branchlines back 100 yards for development, or of putting the bypass between the railway station and the town (Welshpool and Chorley to name but two)

New marina in Aylesbury given go-ahead

Published Date:16 July 2010 Bucks Herald

Proposals to build a new £2 million marina off Oakfield Road have been passed by Aylesbury Vale District Council.

The council's strategic development control committee today (Friday) approved the plans to build a canal basin and private clubhouse for Aylesbury Canal Society at Circus Field in Aylesbury.

The district council itself submitted the application as it wants to build the marina to free up the existing boater facilities in the town centre, which are set to be incorporated into the Waterside scheme. The marina could be built by early next year and will eventually be joined by around 70 new homes next door.

Bierton Parish Council objected to the proposals.

Speaking at the meeting, chairman of the parish council, Brian Robson, criticised the lack of information in the officer's report and said it was wrong to consider the application in isolation from the 70 new homes which are likely to be built.

"As AVDC is the sponsor, applicant, technical arbiter and, as a planning authority, the decision maker, the process for examining this application must be seen to be beyond reproach," he said.

A large number of absences meant only four councillors were sitting on the committee, only one more than the minimum required.

I don't know but if I was in charge BW (and all other navigation authorities) would be prohibited from parting with any land that has navigable water on it

I also didn't like the 1980's habit of moving railway stations at the end of branchlines back 100 yards for development, or of putting the bypass between the railway station and the town (Welshpool and Chorley to name but two)

The whole ownership thing is a bit more complicated than that as BW do not own all the land surrounding Aylesbury Basin.

New marina in Aylesbury given go-ahead

Published Date:16 July 2010 Bucks Herald

Proposals to build a new £2 million marina off Oakfield Road have been passed by Aylesbury Vale District Council.

The council's strategic development control committee today (Friday) approved the plans to build a canal basin and private clubhouse for Aylesbury Canal Society at Circus Field in Aylesbury.

The district council itself submitted the application as it wants to build the marina to free up the existing boater facilities in the town centre, which are set to be incorporated into the Waterside scheme. The marina could be built by early next year and will eventually be joined by around 70 new homes next door.

Bierton Parish Council objected to the proposals.

Speaking at the meeting, chairman of the parish council, Brian Robson, criticised the lack of information in the officer's report and said it was wrong to consider the application in isolation from the 70 new homes which are likely to be built.

"As AVDC is the sponsor, applicant, technical arbiter and, as a planning authority, the decision maker, the process for examining this application must be seen to be beyond reproach," he said.

A large number of absences meant only four councillors were sitting on the committee, only one more than the minimum required.

Details here

Tim

I believe that they did but that it was compulsorly purchased by AVDC.

Tim

The land at the south western end of the basin, was never owned by BW and was not compulsorily purchased by AVDC, although they may have subsequently aquired it.

The site at the end ogf the canal used to be owned by my Uncle who had his Motor Cycle and Car sales and maintenance garage located there . In the early 1960's the front of the site was compulsorily purchased by Bucks CC in order to provide land for the Wendover Road widening scheme, leaving only the workshops and Office in my Uncle's possession. He then did some sort of deal to sell the remaining land for developement which enabled him to purchase a small farm in Stoke Mandeville where he built a large barn from which he continued to sell cars.

The ugly Office building which was built on the site used to be occupied by the Inland Revenue, but I do not know whether they owned the site or leased it.

Edited to add:- All this has reminded me that I am supposed to be writing down my cousin's recollections of playing with the boat children in the basin during school holidays. Also her friend worked for Harvey Taylors when she left school and she also agreed to let me have her recollections.

Edited by David Schweizer

• 2 weeks later...
Floating restaurant to make waves in Aylesbury

Published Date: 28 July 2010

A floating restaurant could be opened in Aylesbury's canal basin in the town centre. More details and impressions of the basis in 2012 here.

Hi,

I read the article in to-day's 'Bucks Herald'. It would appear that the developers have pulled out due to the recession and The Local Authourity are hoping to 'go it alone' with a re-development scheme.

The figues showed an small annual profit and they are hoping that an uplift in land values will increase the profit margin. It's not all cut and dried and there are lots of loose ends to tie up.

There was a nice picture of the basin showing the only original building - the ex FMC warehouse, shame that this will be lost. The artist's impression of the finished scheme incorporated a lot of artistic licence with regard to the size of basin remaining.

Not sure about the floating restaurant, another redevelopment pipe dream?.

Another nail in the coffin of Aylesbury, a town ruined by ferro concrete redevelopment since the 1960's and the third seperate shopping area to be created (Friars Square, Hale Leys Square and now Waterside).

Leo.

Aylesbury Boat Club were really nice to us when we visited a few years ago - a very friendly welcome indeed.

The Basin itself is also great in that it is relatively central but still secure and peaceful. It's one of those where you leave the yard and suddenly pop out in the middle of the town!

I am very sceptical about the future of the Club and I fear the basin will become noisy and brightly-lit and unsuitable for overnight stays.

Aylesbury Boat Club were really nice to us when we visited a few years ago - a very friendly welcome indeed.

The Basin itself is also great in that it is relatively central but still secure and peaceful. It's one of those where you leave the yard and suddenly pop out in the middle of the town!

I am very sceptical about the future of the Club and I fear the basin will become noisy and brightly-lit and unsuitable for overnight stays.

At which point AVDC will fill it in. This seems to be the whole point of the exercise as I have been saying for years.

Hi,

I think ACS will have a bright future at the proposed new site at Broughton, but the basin will probably be filled in only allowing for a winding point.

New flats and boats make poor bedfellows, it's a shame because as has been stated, the basin has a lovely central position within the Town.

A waterway of sorts will have to remain to allow the outfall of Bear brook.

Leo.