Drought UK 2010

Josher

Featured Posts

I'm a volunteer community flood warden for Leicester City Council with a role to identify where Fluvial and Pluvial flooding may occur in the area on the east side of the Soar in the city centre. The Soar is very low now and recent rain showed no real effect in levels, reflected in the EA's report on the Trent levels. My biggest task is identifying what road drain is not doing it's job as many are Victorian and only 2 weeks ago street and premises were flooded in a rainstorm. The climate is changing for whatever reason and unfortunately for many here are dependant on having water under their hulls, moored or on the move. The canal below Foxton was baked dry in 1976 and with lower investment on maintaining the infrastructure that can happen very easily again. It rained briefly last night and more is forecast this week but the majority will be on the north west of the country. On a domestic level I'm thinking of collecting the shower and washing up water for the vegetables growing in our garden as our waterbarrels are nearly empty now and I hate using the hose.

I don't care what Phylis says, water levels, be they on waterways, reservoirs or drinking supplies, is something I want to know about, especially if my strawberries are going to suffer... :lol:

I know, I should get a water butt, but there's little room in out back yard for one... :lol:

I'm a volunteer community flood warden for Leicester City Council with a role to identify where Fluvial and Pluvial flooding may occur in the area on the east side of the Soar in the city centre. The Soar is very low now and recent rain showed no real effect in levels,<snip>

Interestingly, the lock below The Albion at Loughborough was flowing over the gate last Friday with a definate current comming down from Loughborough, (it also did this when I was there at the festival but put it down to booat movement above the lock at the time)

Is this fed from the Soar?

Gary

Yes, it's quite a long pound, but at Pillings , the gates are usually left open unless the river is in flood. There is a double wier down to the river, but there will always be a flow unless the lock gates are shut. above there it is Barrow Deep Lock, however, you will still get a flow fro the soar through Quorn and above.

I'm actually quite innterested in these drought figures. I'm in the progress of setting up a business on a narrowboat, and to top the worries about drought , now they have closed the Caen flight, because of a busted gate. Great, just what i'm looking for...

What was the current scap price for iron plate again?

Dont get me wrong it is very worrying that the water levels are quite so low in places, but do we really need a link to every water based article in every newspaper in the country?

If we are worried about the water levels in area which we are going to travel it isnt difficult to find out the situation without every single story about a dry reservoir.

London does have a functioning desalination plant for use in emergencys. This was completed recently. More such plants are planned across the country but are costly to build and the water produced is expensive!

Big business over in Singapore:

"SIWW, Singapore, June 30, 2010 - (ACN Newswire) - PUB, the national water agency, is calling an open tender today for the second and largest desalination plant to be built at Tuas. To be completed by 2013, the plant will add another 70 imperial million gallons or 318,500 cubic metres) of desalinatedwater a day to the nation's water supply.

Following the completion of the fifth and largest NEWater plant at Changi last month, the new desalination plant is Singapore's latest water supply infrastructure project. Like the first reverse-osmosis desalination plant at Tuas, the second plant will be constructed under a Design, Build, Own and Operate (DBOO) arrangement and utilise reverse osmosis technology."

I love the fact that the national water agency is called PUB!

the full article in Earth Times here does go on to point out:

"As desalination is currently the most energy intensive water supply source, Singapore has been embarking on research and development work in search of more cost-efficient ways of producing desalinated water.For example,in 2007, Singapore Environment and Water Industry Development Council awarded a S$4 million research grant to Siemens to develop a novel electrochemical desalination technology that can halve the energy consumption used in seawater desalination. This project will be completed in 2011."

The canal below Foxton was baked dry in 1976 and with lower investment on maintaining the infrastructure that can happen very easily again.

yes. Tony & Mary ran FBS from the Soar in Leicester that year their boats being amongst the last boats down through Kibworth and south leicester.

we are already getting a little concerned down on the Wey & Arun as we pump all our water from the river Arun at Drungewick and only have so much extraction licence. the lower section saved us last year by closing it and using the water to maintain the 3 main sections. this year we may have to do it sooner!

Dont get me wrong it is very worrying that the water levels are quite so low in places, but do we really need a link to every water based article in every newspaper in the country?

If we are worried about the water levels in area which we are going to travel it isnt difficult to find out the situation without every single story about a dry reservoir.

You don't have to click on the links or even read (or "contribute") to the thread.

The Forum won't dry up. Don't Panic!

You don't have to click on the links or even read (or "contribute") to the thread.

The Forum won't dry up. Don't Panic!

I havnt been reading the links but out of habit i have been opeing the topic in the vane that something may have been written instead of yet another link to yet another news website.

London does have a functioning desalination plant for use in emergencys. This was completed recently. More such plants are planned across the country but are costly to build and the water produced is expensive!

Thanks for that.

I find it interesting and it is useful to have so much information available in one place. You can always press the off button Phylis if you don't like the Drought 2010 channel. :lol:

I find it interesting and it is useful to have so much information available in one place. You can always press the off button Phylis if you don't like the Drought 2010 channel. :lol:

as do I :lol::lol:

by the way its usually a button with a circle and a line pointing up! :lol:

How low does the level on l&l need to be before they stop the farmers with huge water pumps taking supplies from the pounds.

This was brought up recently about the Rochdale Canal. Often it is because when the canal was planned water abstraction permission was given to certain land owners in the Act, and this cannor be revoked without a lot of expensive legal work.

Drought impact: The low river levels (and leaks from the river-fed Exeter Canal) are having an unfortunate impact on wild salmon, leading to calls not to eat them and a conflict of interest between fly fishermen who are putting back and re-stocking and net fishermen who aren't. This is Exeter .

More water at Marsworth than I've seen other years, mind it was usually later in the year.

The management of water on Tring summit is, as I understand it, very complex, involving a mixture of the 4 main reservoirs, bore holes, and run off from other areas.

I don't think you can gain much impression of the situation at any point in time by looking at summit levels, the Marsworth flight, or just one or two of the reservoirs.

That said, I can never understand why one of the first things they place restrictions on is the Aylesbury Arm, even though water is usually flowing over most of the top gates when they do. :lol:

Another problem that might start to mean restrictions around this area is the dreaded blue green algae, which is apparently starting to build in some of the reservoirs. When we walked them the other day, men in boats were busy stringing out floating bales of barley straw across one of the reservoirs, which apparently helps control it. There are warning notices about it's risks to human and animal health.