Leeds & Liverpool Canal Restrictions and Closures

Dalesman

Featured Posts

Oh dear what a dump

As per my original post,

This and the other guff you posted could be a problem if you intended holidaying solely at Selby,

last time I hired a boat the idea was you set off and returned to your hire base - the general idea wasn't that you stayed moored there...

Clear enough yet you twit....

As per my original post,

This and the other guff you posted could be a problem if you intended holidaying solely at Selby,

last time I hired a boat the idea was you set off and returned to your hire base - the general idea wasn't that you stayed moored there...

Sadly, we're booked...

Otherwise we'd bw off to Selby

The Selby Canal, The Aire and Calder,

While on Guernsey recently, for a holiday, we met a bloke who lives there, his ideal holiday was to take a plane to Manchester, book a B and B for the week, and go round all the markets in Blackburn etc..

As per my original post,

Hmm don't seem to remember calling you a twit.

All I am saying joining, or leaving a boat, Selby makes a piss poor impression

Sadly, we're booked...

Otherwise we'd bw off to Selby

The Selby Canal, The Aire and Calder,

While on Guernsey recently, for a holiday, we met a bloke who lives there, his ideal holiday was to take a plane to Manchester, book a B and B for the week, and go round all the markets in Blackburn etc..

Sorry MP. I've read your post a couple of times and the point of it is eluding me...

Care to elaborate?

Hmm don't seem to remember calling you a twit.

Well there are a lot worse that I could have used....get over it.

All I am saying joining, or leaving a boat, Selby makes a piss poor impression

and all I'm saying is that the start and end point of any canal boat holiday can be in some pretty glum areas, it's irrelevant, particularly when a business has had to re-locate it's hire operations for a once in a 30 year event, I reckon they need a bit of support not a winge about--

"Ooh I think theres a bit of weed in the canal there"

and

"Ooh thers a few puddles in the yard where you've relocated to"

FFS....

Edited by NB No Deadlines

The little rat looking thing in your pic , is it a real dog or a badly stuffed toy thing that has seen better days.

Dear me....you haven't read my signature properly have you?? :lol: ....

Edited by NB No Deadlines

Sorry MP. I've read your post a couple of times and the point of it is eluding me...

Care to elaborate?

one man's meat is another man's poison.

I also think, even if I didn't want to start a boat holiday in Selby, I'd rather start there than start somewhere where the canal was closed!

This has just been a news item on Radio Five Live, about 6.40 a.m. A chap (Ian somebody) who runs a hire fleet in Skipton confirmed that despite the recent heavy rain the closure looked likely to go ahead. He explained that the dry ground had soaked up the rain like a sponge so that not enough of it reached the feeder reservoirs. So unless there's further heavy rain (and I think that some is forecast for today) about half of the canal will close. Ian did emphasise that people could still cruise in the other direction from Skipton, i.e. towards Leeds, so his firm was still open for business, but he aptly stated that recently bookings had been "drying up".

your not paying attention ,look closer ,dont make yorself look a twit.

I'm afraid I have no ruddy idea what you are blathering on about...

one man's meat is another man's poison.

I also think, even if I didn't want to start a boat holiday in Selby, I'd rather start there than start somewhere where the canal was closed!

Get you now sorry it wasn't clear to me - I agree and if I was a business I would rather temporarily move there than lose valuable summer holiday income.

This has just been a news item on Radio Five Live, about 6.40 a.m. A chap (Ian somebody) who runs a hire fleet in Skipton confirmed that despite the recent heavy rain the closure looked likely to go ahead. <SNIP>

I made a mooring enquiry to a marina yesterday that is smack bang in the middle of the stoppage and they too confirmed that they are expecting it to go ahead despite recent rain.... :lol: - the key issue now then will be how long it stays in place...

• 2 weeks later...

On the local BBC news (Yorkshire) last night they talked about the L & L canal being closed to boats, however they never mentioned that the canal from Leeds to Gargrave is still OPEN , no doubt all the tourists will now think the whole canal is closed and stay away, not very good for trade..!! :lol:

Seen the hire boat man from skipton on one , he was explaining the parts that remain open.

Does anybody know if the recent rain has had any effect on the reservoirs?

Any idea how the water level is above the Johnson flight at Wheelton?

Thanks

Nigel

On the waterscape website it says that thay'll be updating it today so we'll know more later as to wether it's gonna open soon

Today's update just confirms the continuation of the closure until further notice. The notice on the NABO site (link above) gives a bit more background as to the current situation with reservoir levels.