Lost engine key

lydiacafc

Featured Posts

Hi

Hopefully I have posted this in the right place. Hope someone can advise me.

My engine key went overboard, and can't find the spare one anywhere. Does anyone have any idea how easy spares are to obtain, if so where/how? I am pretty sure it's a Perkins engine...

Thanks in advance.

:lol:

If it is like that, they are standard Lucas Tractor keys. Most chandlers have them, as do agricultural suppliers. They don't have different keys for different ignition locks

Richard

Get one of these too:

41nzxpO5WBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Some boats we've hired on the broads have the ignition key glued/welded into the ignition barrel, always thought that was great security wise.....

As a result never dropped the key in the river though....

Edited by MJG

I see your point but not really as anybody could walk into a chandlers or whatever and get one from there :lol:

I know, I was thinking of copy-ability of the key really.

I personally think it should be like getting a river Nene Key in that you had to fill out boat details to be allowed a key, and they were funny half-cylinder shaped keys which I suspect wouldn't be copied easily.

I see your point but not really as anybody could walk into a chandlers or whatever and get one from there :lol:

You seem to have confused how it should be with how it is.

"Tractor" keys are very common on older boats, and they are all identical. And common to a lot of other things too like - tractors

Richard

Ah, you are talking about the watermate keys aren't you. As you were. Yes, that is a bit silly

Edited by RLWP

I've never seen the point of an 'engine key' on a boat - we just use a switch!

That's because turning the switch is probably the least part of starting a Kelvin IIRC

Richard

All that is necessary is to switch on the power to the starter - we have a push button to operate the starter motor.

There was a lot of stuff with valves and things beforehand before doing anything electrical, wasn't there?

Richard

There was a lot of stuff with valves and things beforehand before doing anything electrical, wasn't there?

Richard

That was just a ritual - a bit like prayers before dinner . . .

Richard

The only valves I have are in my wireless.

My Skoda is 12 valve....8 in the engine and 4 in the radio..

Bob

I personally think it should be like getting a river Nene Key in that you had to fill out boat details to be allowed a key, and they were funny half-cylinder shaped keys which I suspect wouldn't be copied easily.

You cannot get a Watermate Key cut at any normal High Street Key Cutting Shop because they use a different blank fron the standard Yale Blank used on Domnestic Door keys. (4 Ridges-3 Hollows, as compared with 3-2 on a normal door key)

the keys are suprisingly hard to get hold of for your average joe. i have never seen a canoeist with one, but have had plenty who tag along in the more docile locks.

we have had several request to buy the key off of us from kids up and down the river, and more alarmingly, parents at the campsite that springs up near wansford lock. none had boats or canoes.....

alot of the public water points have locks that can only be opened with the EA key so this helps with vandalism etc.

that key seems to be one of the things the EA got right a very long time ago!

Could you describe a "River Nene" key and what it is used for? Lily Maud, our boat which we bought Dec last year, was based in the Fen area and there is a half round key that I do not know what it is for. could this be the phantom "River Nene" key?

Keith

Could you describe a "River Nene" key and what it is used for? Lily Maud, our boat which we bought Dec last year, was based in the Fen area and there is a half round key that I do not know what it is for. could this be the phantom "River Nene" key?

Keith

it should say abloy on it, the part you hold will be a rhombus type shape. they are roughly 2.5" long. the key part is half round with 4 notches of varying depth.

its used for the lock gear, pump out, if you can find a working one! water and rubbish points

Edited by gazza

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got one of the 'tractor' keys suggested above to try as I thought it looked similar, sadly it doesn't fit! I've now tried contacting Diperk as apparently they are a Perkins agent in the UK...

I've looked at the key hole for the ignition and there are no identifying numbers on it or anything like that, and can't see anything in my boat "manual" put together by previous owners.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I got one of the 'tractor' keys suggested above to try as I thought it looked similar, sadly it doesn't fit! I've now tried contacting Diperk as apparently they are a Perkins agent in the UK...

I've looked at the key hole for the ignition and there are no identifying numbers on it or anything like that, and can't see anything in my boat "manual" put together by previous owners.

Perhaps just replace the ignition lock. Not particularly expensive off Ebay, we've got one...

PC

All that is necessary is to switch on the power to the starter - we have a push button to operate the starter motor.

I thought of that, then thought "pre heaters"

Then I had another thought. Patrick has his arm down weedhatch, Val leans back on starter button...

So I kept the tractor key arrangement

I thought of that, then thought "pre heaters"

Then I had another thought. Patrick has his arm down weedhatch, Val leans back on starter button...

So I kept the tractor key arrangement

You have the starter button in the kitchen?

:lol:

** runs whilst putting on coat....**