SM Hudson...

Featured Posts

Nope!! Looking to retire this year currently searching for a quality hull like the Hudson's but the boss has a back problem and is worried that they are a bit heavy on the tiller for her

They are, unless you have 3" of steel plate added to the leading edge of your rudder next time it's out for blacking. We did that, and it made our Hudson as light as a hire boat to steer, but still had the behaviour of a heavyweight. Sort of. But it was good.

Nope!! Looking to retire this year currently searching for a quality hull like the Hudson's but the boss has a back problem and is worried that they are a bit heavy on the tiller for her

Just change the rudder like Edd Rimmer did with his Challenger one

Obviously you don't have to deploy it, but what on earth is the point of erecting a deck board and "cratch" over an area that has a solid tug deck?

(Other than pure weirdness!.....)

Obviously you don't have to deploy it, but what on earth is the point of erecting a deck board and "cratch" over an area that has a solid tug deck?

You would need to be very short in stature for sure. It was hard enough on my back in ours with a proper front well deck, that just seems silly.

I do like the rest of the boat though.

ed - I thought it looked familiar - I see it moors at Strawberry Island.

Edited by MJG

Yes, and those rivetty-looking things: what do they do?

Yes, and those rivetty-looking things: what do they do?

Well I know what they do on a proper boat, where they serve an important role in stopping it just being a series of iron or steel plates with holes in.

But in this case, no idea, I'm afraid!

Well I know what they do on a proper boat, where they serve an important role in stopping it just being a series of iron or steel plates with holes in.

But in this case, no idea, I'm afraid!

As I suspected: they're evidently just as useful as the deckboard and cratch cover.

As I suspected: they're evidently just as useful as the deckboard and cratch cover.

The latter might at least stop some bits of the boat getting unnecessary rusting. The "rivetty things" on the other hand......

If you want a 'Hudson' shaped hull (there is nothing special in it shape wise to give a boatbuilder a headace anyway!) ask Graham Reeves as he I believe has already built one or is about too for a customer.

Steve's earlier craft were shaped differently from the style you are thinking of.

so the boat i am tracking down as to whether it could be a S M Hudson could be one of his really early ones? hmm food for thought there. thank you i will look at Reeves.

The latter might at least stop some bits of the boat getting unnecessary rusting. The "rivetty things" on the other hand......

And as for all that ridiculous multi-coloured paint, what's that for? Any sensible boat would just be a uniform beige.