SM Hudson...

Featured Posts

as I was thinking function I was more inclined to-

2oars.jpg

Look, we're just really not going to do the paddles vs oars debate all over again.

You are going to have to find another boatbuilder

Richard

You are going to have to find another boatbuilder

Richard

Do you know I think I have - what do you think of this???

4591234172_f9e3c61014.jpg

What a thing of beauty and just look at that bow.....

Think the BB is some guy called Hudson sommmit...

Right I give in, off to me pit now - important 'stuff' to sort tomorrow guys...

TTFN

Edited by MJG

• 3 weeks later...
Now this could cause a fuss!

Maybe not one for the purists but we have aways admired the SM Hudson boats and whilst we appreciate that there are those that don't like the bow we also appreciate that there are those present that are fortunate to own one.

The following is a (fun!) link to a few of the SM Hudson boats that we have been fortunate to come across to date... a long way to go yet but I have almost used my monthly upload limit so more to come in around thirty days but there are 21 named boats to go at in the meantime.

The link posted should take you to the opening page which I have done in order that the description of the group is read... from there simply click on the "photostream" on the toolbar below the name to browse a continual stream of images or then go further and click on "sets" once this page has loaded to view sets by the name of the boat...

Have fun...

http://www.flickr.com/people/50005139@N08/

Updated :lol:

Lots for the likers and lots for the knockers, just added around 250 new images... details of update on original link or to go straight to the sets http://www.flickr.com/photos/50005139@N08/sets/

There's a 'Hudson' moored next to me at the moment, nice enough boat I suppose. It appears to have 'champhers' or a perhaps a 'semi vee' hull. is this normal for a Hudson specced shell?

Paul

There's a 'Hudson' moored next to me at the moment, nice enough boat I suppose. It appears to have 'champhers' or a perhaps a 'semi vee' hull. is this normal for a Hudson specced shell?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Sorry I can't be more helpful with the question, I can't envisage what you mean.

What name is the boat?

I think that some of the earlier Hudson/s may be attributed more to Paul Barber by influence and did have a different looking bow (opinion, not fact) ref. Th'ilson Giant but most if not all that i've seen first hand would appear to be what you would typically think of.

Hi sorry I can't be more descriptive :lol:

If you can imagine the base plate having a large champher either side running perhaps 8-10" up the sides, I guess it enables the boat to snug up to the bank on shallow canals, I can't think of many other reasons for it.

I'll check on the name tonight

Paul

If you can imagine the base plate having a large champher either side running perhaps 8-10" up the sides, I guess it enables the boat to snug up to the bank on shallow canals, I can't think of many other reasons for it.

Paul

I think I know what you mean but still couldn't say if it was typical on the earlier SM Hudson boats, I haven't heard of it.

The link shows fairly clearly the completely flat baseplate of a boat being built a couple of years ago, there is a full length rubbing strake below the waterline in roughly the same position that you mentioned... I wonder if this could appear as it may have done when viewed actually in the water?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50005139@N08/...57624179776026/

Other than that i'm lost... Neil Hudson perhaps? :lol:

Paul

I can honestly say that I've never heard of a Hudson with a chined hull. Perhaps it's a first. Paul, don't tell anyone where you are or you'll have all the Hudson twitchers (or should that be Hitchers) flocking with all their binoculars and monoscopes to see it. Could it be a summer migrant? :lol:

Roger

• 1 month later...

Paul

Can not say about this boat, but a couple that I helped build in the early 80`s were built on a 2 metre wide base plate so the straight side parts had to be folded in approx.50mm at the bottom to obtain the correct beam.The fold was about 100mm up from the base plate. the straight side ending where the fore & aft swims started.At that time you could offer a 10mm base plate for the same price as an imperial size plate/s in 6mm, may be this boat was built in this way

• 5 years later...

we were gutted on Steves death as had planned a boat to be built by him for us. We love the Hudson shells. I am at the moment trying to trace qwether a boat built in approx 1976 was built by him. It says it was built by Hudson homemade crafts, but cannot find a builder of this name and thought maybe uit was what Steve called his original boat building business. I love the way his bows swim in the water and make the boat so easy to handle. If any one has a 65-70 foot tug Hudson then by gimmeny we would have it like a shot!!

we were gutted on Steves death as had planned a boat to be built by him for us. We love the Hudson shells. I am at the moment trying to trace qwether a boat built in approx 1976 was built by him. It says it was built by Hudson homemade crafts, but cannot find a builder of this name and thought maybe uit was what Steve called his original boat building business. I love the way his bows swim in the water and make the boat so easy to handle. If any one has a 65-70 foot tug Hudson then by gimmeny we would have it like a shot!!

If you want a 'Hudson' shaped hull (there is nothing special in it shape wise to give a boatbuilder a headace anyway!) ask Graham Reeves as he I believe has already built one or is about too for a customer.

Steve's earlier craft were shaped differently from the style you are thinking of.

Edited by Leisure boater

If you want a 'Hudson' shaped hull (there is nothing special in it shape wise to give a boatbuilder a headace anyway!) ask Graham Reeves as he I believe has already built one or is about too for a customer.

Or just buy a second hand Hudson. You can have mine for about 100K, otherwise I'm happy to keep it.

There was a virtually new one for sale recently, in unfortunate colour and perhaps too short for you.

Or there's this one:

http://narrowboats.apolloduck.co.uk/advert.phtml?id=453925

Edited by nicknorman

Steve built so many they crop up second hand on a regular basis. Just keep an eye on The Duck and the better brokers. You'll start spotting them...

Do not forget there was a Neil Hudson who also built boats and was not related to S M Hudson

Bear in mind that Steve Hudson was only 17 years old in 1976 and as I understand not a boat builder then, so almost certainly not him.