Phrases sayings and slangs

mike phipps

Featured Posts

“It's a bit black over Bill's Mother's” seems to be quite widespread, why is it always Bill's Mom's?

Blunt knives: “You could give yerself a nasty bruise with that.”

Hungry: “I'm 'ungry as a Gyppo's whippet” or “I could eat a jed oss (dead horse) between two mattresses.”

Thirsty: “I'm as thusty as a cactus.”

Constipated: “I'm as clammed as a rook.”

Shock: “Oh my giddy aunt.”

Amazement: “Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs” or “Well I'll go to Brierley Hill”

Brierley Hill (close to Dudley, notable for the ”Nine Locks”, of which there are eight) is often referred to locally as Brierley Bonk (bonk = bank = hill) but I've never once heard it said “well I'll go to Brierley Bonk”.

And can someone please explain “You'll be laughing on the other side of your face in a minute” ?

“It's a bit black over Bill's Mother's” seems to be quite widespread, why is it always Bill's Mom's?

Blunt knives: “You could give yerself a nasty bruise with that.”

Hungry: “I'm 'ungry as a Gyppo's whippet” or “I could eat a jed oss (dead horse) between two mattresses.”

Thirsty: “I'm as thusty as a cactus.”

Constipated: “I'm as clammed as a rook.”

Shock: “Oh my giddy aunt.”

Amazement: “Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs” or “Well I'll go to Brierley Hill”

Brierley Hill (close to Dudley, notable for the ”Nine Locks”, of which there are eight) is often referred to locally as Brierley Bonk (bonk = bank = hill) but I've never once heard it said “well I'll go to Brierley Bonk”.

And can someone please explain “You'll be laughing on the other side of your face in a minute” ?

was talking to my brother last night he said if you had done somthing wrong and you was going to get a wallop of your dad it was just that you,ll be laughing on the other side of your face another was if you left all the lights on " it,s like blackpool eluminations in here

As for the spellings, a guy I worked with 30 years ago used to say, "At one foul sweep". :lol:

... and I thought it was one swell foop. :lol:

I quite like the Glaswegian "wally close" (wally rhyming with galley) meaning "posh" - so posh they could afford to live in a tenement flat with the communal entrance hall (the close) decorated with ceramic tiles (wally). Wallies are also (ceramic) false teeth.

And the standard request to sling your hook - "Away raffle yer doughnuts".

(Aye, an' I hope yer next shite's a hedgehog!)

What about ' You look like a bundle of rags, tied up in the middle' and 'Pull a comb through your hair, it looks like the wreck of the Hesperus'

My Grandma's two most used were'

'You look like you've been pulled through a hedge backard's' and 'You don't know your luck till a dead Horse kicks you' :lol:

My Grandma's two most used were'

'You look like you've been pulled through a hedge backard's' and 'You don't know your luck till a dead Horse kicks you' :lol:

Yes, my mum used to think that I had traversed several hedges in my time.

One thing I heard many years ago from a man who was commenting on his daughter. He said, "She's as dim as a TOK H lamp".

Pete

"It looks black over Bill's mothers"

"The back of Rackhams"

"I'll go to the foot of our stairs"

Richard

"The back of Rackhams" referred to the area frequented by the street version of "Cut side Sally's", ladies of vendable virtues

My Gran used to like her tea much stronger than we did, so when presented with a weak cup she would comment "it's like cats pee and pepper"

well whatbgreatbsayings we have still chuckling over tawny owls blunt knife " you could ride bare arse to borneo " and osprey sprincklers " hope yer next shites a hedgehogg

Well, I'm deeply shocked! :lol:

A lot of the language in this thread would have been completely unacceptable when I was a child - I must have led a very sheltered childhood!

When we asked what was for dinner, the answer was invariably "Lumpit". From, "like it or lump it" - ie, like it or put up with it.

My mother was told by her parents "Them as don't ask, don't want, them as ask, don't get".

Cath

As an admonishment when failing to see or find something in plain view: "If it had teeth, it would bite you!".

MP.

My favourite (very rude) phrase from my time in Geordieland (look away now if of a nervous disposition):

hadaway and shite, man!

roughly translated as "go away", better translated as "bugger off!".

MP.

Edited by MoominPapa

We used to get

wait and see pudding

a lot!

oh and my mother got into a lot of trouble on the mine in Portugal when she referred to something or someone as being

'as old as the hills'

The General Manager and wife were called Mr and Mrs Hill!

Oops

Being a Bob I have always wanted to know where the saying " Bobs your uncle" came from.

It is sometimes claimed that Bob is Robert Cecil, 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, and that the phrase came about when "Bob" indulged in a little nepotism, when as Prime Minister in 1887 he appointed his nephew Athur Balfour to be Chief Secretary of Ireland.

The implication was that Balfour was not regarded by the establishment as being even an outsider for the role, and that he only got it because Bob was his uncle.

And there I was, sat like Piffy on a rock bun.

Yes, that is one that step-daughter uses all the time.

Another one round these parts, in response to any protest that something isn't where it logicaly ought to be;

"It says Lanry on the side of buses, but they don't sell it"

Yes, that is one that step-daughter uses all the time.

Another one round these parts, in response to any protest that something isn't where it logicaly ought to be;

"It says Lanry on the side of buses, but they don't sell it"

In my family it was "like Patience on a rock bun".