Speedwheel setups?

Featured Posts

Yes correct. Though in this case it is a little brass box, almost identical to the one you can see with bevelled gears inside.

These ones were from metal framed windows when they were replaced (one of the BBC buildings I think)

Edit: picture taken on Christmas Day 2007 (i think it was 2007) sitting opposite the Blue Lias pub at Stockton. Engine had decided to destroy its drive plate so it was being changed.

RIMG0052.jpg

RIMG0050.jpg

Edited by Speedwheel

I've posted in the For Sale & Wanted section about a replacement Lister Petter type throttle lever to fix the duff one on the boat but I'm also wondering on changing over to a speedwheel arrangement. I've steered a couple of boats with a wheel and must say I do prefer it. Does anybody have any pictures of their set up?

I have a HA2 so I'd need to convert the turning of the speedwheel under the hatches to a lift up and down postion in the engine room.

Thanks

I have just found this blog, sorry its so late but I couldn't remember which boat it was. He made his own speedwheel and there are some reasonable photos.

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/02/bit-more-done.html

and

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/02/throttled.html

I have just found this blog, sorry its so late but I couldn't remember which boat it was. He made his own speedwheel and there are some reasonable photos.

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/02/bit-more-done.html

and

http://nbdove.blogspot.com/2010/02/throttled.html

Thanks for that, I tried to post some photo's the other day but my mobile dongly thing had an of day.

It's made from an old "G" cramp and the rest, I made from flat stock and some bushes I knocked up.

Andrew

Thanks for that, I tried to post some photo's the other day but my mobile dongly thing had an of day.

It's made from an old "G" cramp and the rest, I made from flat stock and some bushes I knocked up.

Andrew

Looks ok to me.

- Presumably the provision for holding the speed wheel from moving forwards/backwards is well out of shot or up by the wheel itself.

- Using this distance along with the flex in the shaft to take account for the end of the bellcrank moving in an arc? Or have i missed somthing.

Daniel

Looks ok to me.

- Presumably the provision for holding the speed wheel from moving forwards/backwards is well out of shot or up by the wheel itself.

- Using this distance along with the flex in the shaft to take account for the end of the bellcrank moving in an arc? Or have i missed somthing.

Daniel

Does it actually matter if the speedhwheel moves forwards and backwards a bit?

I had a nice setup on a Russell Newbery I had in one of my narrow boats. it was a simple case of a short threaded rod passing through an internally threaded block which was secured to the mounting bracket. the end of this threaded rod pushed against one end of a bell crank rather than being fixed to it. it worked lovely even if the speedwheel did move forwards and backwards a few millimetres. it was a fine thread which helped. Of course the short threaded rod was extended to the steering position but that goes without saying.

edited to add clarity

Edited by magnetman

Looks ok to me.

Daniel

Yes, it's bushed at the speedwheel support bracket.

The bell crank doesn't move that much, about an inch. So the deflection of the rod isn't that great. There's about 3 feet of unsupported rod.

Andrew

• 1 year later...

Well, well well... after all this time... well over a year... Ariel finally got herself a Speedwheel!

Last Friday, after Kez had seen Ariel loaded, we set off from Sale heading for Lymm. With deliveries on the way and when we got there we eventually tied up quite late.

001.jpg

Early on Saturday morning I was up and about and working from the Laptop :( but shortly after I had finished 'The Man' turned up to work his magic.

Taking down the old lawn mower control, that had been 'temporarily botched' with a shoe lace after it snapped towing Emily Anne last December!

002.jpg

Getting the speedwheel rod lined up in the cabin

003.jpg

Lining the rod up through to the engine room

004.jpg

The main bit of kit...

005.jpg

Thanks to 'The Man', Compo for sorting it out.

Taking down the old lawn mower control, that had been 'temporarily botched' with a shoe lace after it snapped towing Emily Anne last December!

I prefer the term "jury rigged", I avoid botching things ;)

Ariel's been Compo-ed! :D