3 women and me

astalweeks

Featured Posts

Hiring a boat from oxford in a couple weeks. Is it going to be feasible to get to Windsor and back in 1 week? Mr Canal Planner suggests it is but the 3 women will be wanting to go shopping in Reading Henley Marlow and Windsor which I feel will use up a lot of the time. I have been advised to skip out on the Reading stop which would save a few hours.

Hiring a boat from oxford in a couple weeks. Is it going to be feasible to get to Windsor and back in 1 week? Mr Canal Planner suggests it is but the 3 women will be wanting to go shopping in Reading Henley Marlow and Windsor which I feel will use up a lot of the time. I have been advised to skip out on the Reading stop which would save a few hours.

I reckon you will be worn out and incapacitated through exhaustion....

:lol:

Nick

I reckon you will be worn out and incapacitated through exhaustion....

Nick

Doubt it, 2 of them are my daughters :lol:

What is this sho-ping of which you speak? Is this time spent in a chandlers?

Richard

Women see a shop. They have to go in and finger very item on display. This a Fact and the fact is it takes up a lot of cruising time.

Women see a shop. They have to go in and finger very item on display. This a Fact and the fact is it takes up a lot of cruising time.

I see. This is entirely different to the time spent in a chandlers exploring the possibilities of a new fitting for your doors or an interesting electronic device related to batteries. Sho-ping is a frivolous and wasteful activity whereas time spent studying the shelves in a chandlers is an important part of keeping a boat working properly of course. Perhaps you could introduce the female members of the crew to the delights of a well stocked chandlers.

Richard

A new ash bargepole is always nice, or some new ropes, or a new kind of piling hook....

I did mean that you will likely be doing all the work !! and the others will be doing all the light duty work and the shopping !! ;)

( what did you think I meant ? :lol: ) :lol:

Quite ! :lol:

Nick

Surely they won't let you go past the Tesco's mooring at Reading without stopping?

Have you considered changing the Oxford run for a week aboard a North Sea Ferry

With all the shopping and entertainment facilities for them - and lots of water on the horizon for you

(coat)

Edited by Grace & Favour

A few years ago I essayed the Four Counties Ring in a week, along with two females.

My plan was that they would steer the boat, I would do the locks and get some healthy exercise, and everybody would be happy.

In the event, one was called back to work and the other refused point-blank to steer the boat.

She got a lot more exercise than she had bargained for, I got none, and there was no time for shopping at all. We made it back with seconds to spare.

Moral: Don't be too ambitious, and allow for changes of plan

A few years ago I essayed the Four Counties Ring in a week, along with two females.

My plan was that they would steer the boat, I would do the locks and get some healthy exercise, and everybody would be happy.

In the event, one was called back to work and the other refused point-blank to steer the boat.

She got a lot more exercise than she had bargained for, I got none, and there was no time for shopping at all. We made it back with seconds to spare.

Moral: Don't be too ambitious, and allow for changes of plan

We met a Hen Party with a token man coming down the Napton Flight last week, he was steering and about 5 females were doing the locks.

shopping

Eh? Does not compute....I've never quite understood it....!

Mind you he did look tied

She got a lot more exercise than she had bargained for

Far tooo much information!

Janet

• 2 weeks later...
I see. This is entirely different to the time spent in a chandlers exploring the possibilities of a new fitting for your doors or an interesting electronic device related to batteries. Sho-ping is a frivolous and wasteful activity whereas time spent studying the shelves in a chandlers is an important part of keeping a boat working properly of course. Perhaps you could introduce the female members of the crew to the delights of a well stocked chandlers.

Richard

A new ash bargepole is always nice, or some new ropes, or a new kind of piling hook....

Mrs Leo likes Chandlers..... through the door and heads for the shelves with shiny brass things .........

Doesn't know what half are for, but they do look very pretty.....

Mmmmmm....... chandlers!!

Am I allowed to admit that I can get very bright eyed at the thoguht of a trip to B&Q or, especially, a good chandlery, but that I would rather wear my clothes till they have holes in than go other kind of shopping?

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot that there was also Oxford, Abingdon,Wallingford Goring etc to go through and could we just stop for a few minutes. At each, there and on the way back. Consequently in a week we managed to get as far as Pangbourne before we had to turn round to come back.

So the answer to my question (to which nobody was able to give straight reply) is No, it is not feasible. However the Thames is very nice and the beer was good. :lol:

Haha - bet you could drive to any of those places in about 30 mins?

I'm with Odana here!!

Me too... I can only go clothes shopping with a clear, defined (and short) list of what I need, else I very quickly lose the will to live - on the other hand I can spend hours in B and Q, Maplins, Wickes etc - Its good to see that it isn't only us blokes that detest clothes shopping and actually do like the above sort of shops !

Nick :lol: