just recived a huge electric bill

bespin

Featured Posts

hi we are looking for help, the marina that we have moored in as just billed us for the electric after a year and a half of being there, had assumed that the mooring fees had covered the electric as we had not been sent a bill in the time we had been here and nether had anyone else. It also appears now that not everyone as been sent a bill now either. the bill as only been broken down into 2 different rates over that time too. ive just read the resale of electric guidelines and will be asking for a detailed brakedown of the charges. any advice would be greatfully recived as we will be struggling to pay this thanks.

thanks for the replys, can not check the contract as it is just on a bill of sale for the boat and says resedental mooring avalable as required. we have nothing else in writing nor does anyone else. we will be going to see them next weekend now when we can to discuss it with them.

thanks for the replys, can not check the contract as it is just on a bill of sale for the boat and says resedental mooring avalable as required. we have nothing else in writing nor does anyone else. we will be going to see them next weekend now when we can to discuss it with them.

Get someone new to enquire about moorings and see what they get. Try to get them to get a written quote for all likely charges.you then have something to use if they dont tell of electricity charges or deliberately decieve.

Surley if nobody was notifyed when they tuck up the mooring they cant charge after 18 months, no contract in writing then they cant just pop up with a bill.

Surley if nobody was notifyed when they tuck up the mooring they cant charge after 18 months, no contract in writing then they cant just pop up with a bill.

It's happened to us, after a year [not where we are now], and so I wouldn't disbelieve it elsewhere...

OP, would you like to reveal, or PM if needed, the mooring in question?

Also, it's worth, despite the ban on reselling at a profit, being aware of any standing charges that are added, to take up that 'slack' in the profit margin...

Ta,

PC

will be asking to see there bills to check the amounts, though i have a feeling they are correct, its just a lot to pay in one go. would like to find somewhere up north that is a normal marina with residential moorings then we might not get this sort of thing happening to us

I certainly wouldnt pay all up front, if they can just do that then they can wait for payment.

Or find a new mooring asap and do a moon light, if there isnt any agreement signed then.....

Sounds a dirty trick for them to do that, winds me up when people try things on. Even if you are legaly binded to pay they cant expect full payment.

I certainly wouldnt pay all up front, if they can just do that then they can wait for payment.

Or find a new mooring asap and do a moon light, if there isnt any agreement signed then.....

Sounds a dirty trick for them to do that, winds me up when people try things on. Even if you are legaly binded to pay they cant expect full payment.

Too right... I agree...

PC

thanks for that, col. will be asking for the figures to work it out, im not agest paying what we owe just want to make sure its right and that we can afford it. we are wondering why now too though not everyone as been charged yet. dont know if they will. will have to see.

have you asked in the marina office why they haven billed everyone? You could have a friendly natter and see what they say. If its not a mistake then get the breakdown of price per unit and ask how its calculated. Do you have a meter from supply to your boat?

How much is a huge bill? do you have a meter? what are the unit charges? how to keep the bill to a minimun is to not to use electric heating, your problem, is similar to many households when they were paying there electric bills by direct bebit, then the electric price went up and when the the meter was read they got a huge bill, we used to pay a one off charge every year, now we have a meter, what a difference that makes, no electric heating now we use the wood burner all the time and the alde bolier, so we pay as we go I used the oiled filled for one day and could soon work out it was going to cost many hundreds a year!!

How much is a huge bill? do you have a meter? what are the unit charges? how to keep the bill to a minimun is to not to use electric heating, your problem, is similar to many households when they were paying there electric bills by direct bebit, then the electric price went up and when the the meter was read they got a huge bill, we used to pay a one off charge every year, now we have a meter, what a difference that makes, no electric heating now we use the wood burner all the time and the alde bolier, so we pay as we go I used the oiled filled for one day and could soon work out it was going to cost many hundreds a year!!

The amount can vary to one person to another on how much huge is, if i got a bill droped on me for a few hundered, that would be huge to me, next person like shedding pea`s.

I think the main point would be how they can just dump a bill on you after 18 months and maybe expect it payed in full.

If the OP was told about extra cgarges when taken up the mooring it would be a different matter.

Good things for us all to check when we get new moorings i think.

the bill is around 700 and as come at a bad time really. we have a meter and the readings from that, i think the large bulk of the bill is from the fan heater in winter when we had the desiel stove which didnt heat the rads to well. now have a proper stove and use that. was told when we took up the mooring that it was metered but not when you would be charged for it. asked everyone and no one had ever recived a bill so assumed that it was in the large mooring fees. which is our mistake really should have asked more questions will be asking for a brake down of costs so we can check its correct and asking for easyer terms to pay it off then a quarterly bill if he is going to start charging for the use of it. also looking at saving elecy too. though we are a bit unsure how secure the moorings are at the moment here so might be looking for a new one soon if anyone knows of any in yorkshire area there dont appear to be meny around. so might end up on the canal were we will not have to worry about lecky bills as we will not have any :lol:

If you are plugged in to a supply that you knew was metered, it's fair to assume that at some point you would get a bill based on what you have consumed (or why would the meter be fitted).

What is a little unfair is that it's taken the marina 18 months to bill you.

I would be talking to the marina people and ask for time to pay it.

thanks for that, col. will be asking for the figures to work it out, im not agest paying what we owe just want to make sure its right and that we can afford it. we are wondering why now too though not everyone as been charged yet. dont know if they will. will have to see.

pm sent.

We live on a residential marina and pay a "full time residential subsidy" as opposed to that paid by weekend boaters. Its £70 and covers coucil taxes, electricity, parking etc. Quite a good deal methinks.

What does puzzle me is why n earth after 18 months - I would be tempted to do as a previous poster suggested, check your contract very closely and ask to pay it off. Thats a lot to have to come up with in one shot.

Edited by kiki

I know it's a little late for your situation this time but I bought one of those Energy Monitors (about £20) and mounted it in the saloon where it can't be ignored. It can be set to the unit rate and gives an instant read out of my next bill as well as 'encouraging' me to be a bit tight! Plenty on Ebay.

I know it's a little late for your situation this time but I bought one of those Energy Monitors (about £20) and mounted it in the saloon where it can't be ignored. It can be set to the unit rate and gives an instant read out of my next bill as well as 'encouraging' me to be a bit tight! Plenty on Ebay.

Do they have battery backup, so a "mistake" e.g. unplugging, doesn't wipe the memory ?

Nick

I feel it's completely unreasonable for the Marina to only present you with a bill after 18 months . .

I think you should have a gentle, courteous and extremely firm conversation with them, and organise a planned payment of this over an eighteen month period, (remembering of course that you'll be using electricity over the next eighteen months too!)

(if we assume you use electricity at approx the same rate - then the total bill over the next eighteen months will be (the past)£700, plus (say) £800 in future (allowing for price increase) - - that's a monthly bill of circa £85 per month.

Do they have battery backup, so a "mistake" e.g. unplugging, doesn't wipe the memory ?

Nick

Our very cheap one doesn't, but it does show power factor, which is quite useful, and the reason I bought it.

PC