overstaying

sueb

Featured Posts

I go on holiday and Hubby lines himself up for a waterways abso. Any one heard that after 14 days you can't return for 10 weeks? The return time seems to change with the wind.

The mooring warden at Blisworth has no connection with boating. He is a fisherman; info just for interest

Sue

The mooring warden at Blisworth has no connection with boating. He is a fisherman; info just for interest

I wonder if that's the same warden who left us an overstay ticket after we'd been moored at Blisworth for six days?

MP.

I go on holiday and Hubby lines himself up for a waterways abso. Any one heard that after 14 days you can't return for 10 weeks? The return time seems to change with the wind.

Sue

Utter b*ll*cks so far as I know, Sue. I've seen 28 days on signs but don't know how enforceable they are.

Since when did a fisherman have any investment or interest in a canal other than being a free play area. I ask you, what's the world coming too.

Wriggly

PS Very grumpy this evening, am going to bed to be grumpy in comfort.

Sue

tell him in no uncertain terms to f off

Sue

My advice is to show any over zealous official a copy of the British Waterways Act (1995) and the relevant Bylaws and ask him to justify his action.

I've never had to do this yet, but I've got them printed off just in case.

phone bw to check that he is a patrol man. It may be a similar situation to one i experienced where a nasty man threatened me and told me the mooring rules (just as i arrived!) suggesting i had to move on within 24 hours (14day mooring). He had nothing to do with bw and they knew all about him. The rules are quite clear so i dont think you need to worry.

Sue

The fishing warden near Leighton used to live on his boat. He said BW would do stuff (like new towpaths that were not mud) for fishing clubs as their (ever changing, new to canals) managers understood about catching fish etc., But it took years to get the idea of boating across to these same managers, much less getting them to believe what boaters wanted and as for getting them to do it...

I wonder if that's the same warden who left us an overstay ticket after we'd been moored at Blisworth for six days?

MP.

Yes most probably. We had been there 5 days

Sue

We didn't see the mooring warden, who prefers to act secretly. It was the Patrol Officer who called and he was polite and friendly. The 10 week rule was something he had been told so letter is on it's way to Watford asking for clarification of this 'rule'

Sue

There used to be or still is, a man on the K&A Bath locks who pretends to be BW. Telling boaters what they can and can't do.

He wares a mock BW uniform (no logos). I was fooled by him on my first 4 trips there.

:lol:

Must admit never run into this 'mock' BW man on my visits, but there is a genuine BW lock keeper called Nigel who has been there for some years now. Always found him helpful and informative.

Had an interesting encounter with a genuine BW bod the other day. He wandered up to where I was moored, and had been for nine days, and duly tapped the boat number into his machine -- all well. We then started chatting, whereupon he said that of course, I had been here for 'two or three weeks'. He obviously realised my riposte was genuine and immediately withdrew the assertion with a 'fair enough then' comment.

This episode has now made me curious regarding exactly how they do log duration of stay at any one point. -- clearly not very accurately, by the look of it !

Mike.

Must admit never run into this 'mock' BW man on my visits, but there is a genuine BW lock keeper called Nigel who has been there for some years now. Always found him helpful and informative.

I've never seen a BW lock keeper there, only this man who pretends to be the lock keeper.

Had an interesting encounter with a genuine BW bod the other day. He wandered up to where I was moored, and had been for nine days, and duly tapped the boat number into his machine -- all well. We then started chatting, whereupon he said that of course, I had been here for 'two or three weeks'. He obviously realised my riposte was genuine and immediately withdrew the assertion with a 'fair enough then' comment.

This episode has now made me curious regarding exactly how they do log duration of stay at any one point. -- clearly not very accurately, by the look of it !

Mike.

From what I've been told, the data loggers are exactly that they simply enter the data into the machine; the database is updated and sends messages to the enforcement team where needed.

If that model holds true the chap with the PDA isn't counting.

There used to be or still is, a man on the K&A Bath locks who pretends to be BW. Telling boaters what they can and can't do.

He wares a mock BW uniform (no logos). I was fooled by him on my first 4 trips there.

When I wintered down near Limpley Stoke in 2001/2002 there was this geyser with a bag of 'Documents enclosed' notices he was sticking to all the boats. He wasn't BW he was just annoyed by the boats... I thought it was quite funny and rather sad. A bit like the person who wrote 'NO PARKING' in white spray paint on their bit of pavement kerb to try to prevent me parking a taxed vehicle on a public road.

the world is full of them. Let them get on with it and try not to worry.

Its GOOGLE, the beasts of evil and the herald of the constant observation state that bother me :lol: