VHF

Smudge

Featured Posts

Yes, I also need one, although busting my pelvis and making me a non driver has put it off the radar for a while. :lol:

I can't speak for him, not having used him, but some have recommended this chap, (not sure if it's close enough for you).

Walton Training VHF Training Link

Yes I went on his course and it was excellent.

It's 3 years since I did my VHF course, but I think I am correct in saying that there are no recreational channels for use in the UK, as mentioned above. There are channels for marina use and information, use of any channel outside the guidelines is likely to be subject to heavy penalties and possible confiscation of the equipment. Marine VHF is for safety and emergency use, plus commercial ship and port handling, there is no leisure provision.

Roger

It is some 20 years since my wife and I sat our operator's exam, but when out sailing on the Irish Sea and off the west coast of Scotland, it was standard practice to call other leisure boats on Channel 16 and then switch to an operating channel for a chat (normally 06 or 08). I was not aware this was outside the guidelines (but that doesn't mean this was OK).

We currently use a handheld VHF for rivers (Ouse and Trent usually) to contact lockies and to monitor other boat/ship movements. Also found it useful on the Severn, Thames and Weaver. Pack it away on canals, but sometimes wish there was a standard channel for boater's use of walkie talkies. If there is, I am sure someone on this forum will tell me!!

It is some 20 years since my wife and I sat our operator's exam, but when out sailing on the Irish Sea and off the west coast of Scotland, it was standard practice to call other leisure boats on Channel 16 and then switch to an operating channel for a chat (normally 06 or 08). I was not aware this was outside the guidelines (but that doesn't mean this was OK).

We currently use a handheld VHF for rivers (Ouse and Trent usually) to contact lockies and to monitor other boat/ship movements. Also found it useful on the Severn, Thames and Weaver. Pack it away on canals, but sometimes wish there was a standard channel for boater's use of walkie talkies. If there is, I am sure someone on this forum will tell me!!

Well it's very normal to chat boat to boat at sea,fishing boats are doing it all the time, never heard of it being against the law..!! When I was at sea we always chatted to our company vessels both on VHF and M/F (SSB) as did many others. Would be a very dull world if you could not chat with others at sea or on rivers and canals too.

Hi Derek,

After much debate recently, some (maybe many) will be monitoring the PMR446 band on Ch8 Code 0 on the Canals this year - I won't go over the whole "ins and outs" of the options, but the 446 band seems to tick most boxes for most people's use and requirements... Have a look around ( in the last week) at the two or three threads on the subject...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

Hi Derek,

After much debate recently, some (maybe many) will be monitoring the PMR446 band on Ch8 Code 0 on the Canals this year - I won't go over the whole "ins and outs" of the options, but the 446 band seems to tick most boxes for most people's use and requirements... Have a look around ( in the last week) at the two or three threads on the subject...

Nick

Thanks Nick, I will do a search to find out more about it.

PM also sent.

Regards,

Derek

It is used on The Ribble and Wyre up here, along with The River Lune (Glasson Dock) but not compulsory of course, but you get to know what's going on and can tell tem if you need to where you are.

Also you get regular weather reports from Liverpool Coastguard. (It's heavily used on the Mersey)

On the Lune, Wyre, and Mersey there is still a lot of commercial ships so it should be kept on, but the Ribble is leisure only these days do it's not so important.

I have also used it on The Trent and The Aire and Calder Navigation where it was brilliant for avoiding contact with the 400 ton coal barges that go up and down. I also got stuck behind a very large barge on The Trent, and he moved over to let me pass when I called him up.

I don't think it's essential, but is very useful, and I wouldn't want to be without it on the Rivers.

You may as well be fully licenced as the course is very eeasy, only one day, and the licence is then free year on year both for the boat and you. The fines are very severe these days if you are caught without and Ofcom have VERY sophisticated tracing equipment.

Well it's very normal to chat boat to boat at sea,fishing boats are doing it all the time, never heard of it being against the law..!! When I was at sea we always chatted to our company vessels both on VHF and M/F (SSB) as did many others. Would be a very dull world if you could not chat with others at sea or on rivers and canals too.

We were told on tuesday at the course that fishermen do this and they shouldnt but are overlooked by the coastguard cos of the nature of there job.

We were also told the only 4 channels for boat to boat that you can use are as said above 6 8 72 77

We have vhf and use it now and then. It gives some peace of mind knowing that it is there if.........

Can't undestand why people go unlicensed as when we bought ours and registered on line it was free and no annual amount payable.

I heard that the lockies use vhf on the weaver so if your mobile goes on the blink you have a fall back - or vice versa come to think of it! Can't speak personally about the Weaver - not done that as yet so will leave it to those in the know (which is not us).

We used ours a lot on the Aire & Calder Navigation. Was always useful to call the lock keepr at Ferrybridge (when there was a lock keeper there) when joining from Selby and the Rive Aire. Useful to know if there was any commercial traffic in the vicinity, as we'd previously met an empty barge on the bend in Knottingley which resembled a block of flats coming towards us on full chat and almost putting us on the towpath.

Also handy to use on the tidal Ouse bewteen Selby and Naburn to alert the lock keeper at Selby to have the lock set when coming downstream from Naburn.

No - not as far as I know - what are people finding are the current course / exam fees this year ?

Nick

I was referring to Woolymishka's comment that the licence is free which is true, on renewal but, last time I looked, the initial licence costs £25 in addition to the course fees (which, I believe varies, depending on where you attend).

I was referring to Woolymishka's comment that the licence is free which is true, on renewal but, last time I looked, the initial licence costs £25 in addition to the course fees (which, I believe varies, depending on where you attend).

The licence for the equipment is free.

The user licence as you say is/was £25 for the certificate plus £80 odd quid for the course fees.

The course i did was £60 plus £25 for your licence.Your radio licence is free at the mo but will cost £20 starting from i think its the 1st april

The course i did was £60 plus £25 for your licence.Your radio licence is free at the mo but will cost £20 starting from i think its the 1st april

Strictly, pedantically, speaking it's a certificate that you pay for, to prove that you have attended the course and passed, it's issued by the RYA. The licence is for the vessel (or for a portable set) and is currently free of charge provided you apply on line, £20 for paper applications. It's issued by Ofcom, I've just looked on their website and found no reference to charging being introduced for online applications.

Tim

Strictly, pedantically, speaking it's a certificate that you pay for, to prove that you have attended the course and passed, it's issued by the RYA. The licence is for the vessel (or for a portable set) and is currently free of charge provided you apply on line, £20 for paper applications. It's issued by Ofcom, I've just looked on their website and found no reference to charging being introduced for online applications.

Tim

I went on there this morn and couldnt find mention either i was just quoteing what i was told on tuesday.

Sent my certificate off yesterday along with my £25

Just to avoid any confusion, the equipment licence as already mentioned, is to licence the equipment to a particular vessel. What may not be clear is that it is illegal to use the equipment without an operators licence or under the direct supervision of a licence holder, which can only be obtained once you have passed the RYA certificated course. The only exception to this is if the licence holder is incapacitated and another person needs to make a distress call when there is a present or imminent danger.

The authorities can get quite hot under the collar about misuse as it considered essential maritime communication, for safety and operations at sea. Fines are I believe are up to £2000 plus equipment confiscation.

Roger

Just to avoid any confusion, the equipment licence as already mentioned, is to licence the equipment to a particular vessel. What may not be clear is that it is illegal to use the equipment without an operators licence or under the direct supervision of a licence holder, which can only be obtained once you have passed the RYA certificated course. The only exception to this is if the licence holder is incapacitated and another person needs to make a distress call when there is a present or imminent danger.

The authorities can get quite hot under the collar about misuse as it considered essential maritime communication, for safety and operations at sea. Fines are I believe are up to £2000 plus equipment confiscation.

Roger

I can echo this - Whilst using a radio ( any radio) transmitter, especially if they are the cheaper types, it seems impossible that, potentially, quite severe problems could result - naturally this is rare, but the enforcement people have a job to do to ensure e.g. the services' comms are not affected by illegal transmissions, and are conditioned to treat all misuse in the same way.

Example : if you are having a quiet chat to a boat a mile up the cut on e.g "an old marine set", accidentally switched to high power, or with an output stage fault, or on a channel that unbeknown to you has a harmonic that is the input to a Police repeater, or on the input to a passing airliner, 20,000 feet above you ( yes, they have radio too) - your conversation could be being broadcast to a large number of inappropriate people.

The direction finding abilities of the agencies are now so impressive ( I have visited a tracking station and seen for myself) that they can instantly pinpoint the source of the transmission on a map and direct the nearest enforcer to come and "switch the problem off" - it is no longer a nerdy anorak, that might come round a few days later and ask if you " happened to have a "XYZ" band transmitter and ask if you would mind not doing so" - they can easily be round in a few minutes with the Police to confiscate the apparatus and cart you off to the local police station. ( they did that in the 2nd World War !!" The penalties are now really quite severe, especially for known infringements, making it is essential to get a license, so at least you are fully aware of the potential problems that can be caused... and they can't "get you" for that.

A significant part of the training in the amateur radio license is about interference to other services, how not to cause it and reminding you of the penalties for doing so ( including losing your license) which are much greater for a second offence...

At the end of the day, we really don't want the Police / Ambulance comms to be disrupted if its us that has called for their emergency aid....

It is really displaying a complete ignorance of the state that technology has reached these days to think that "it's only a little short range thing"

and think you will "get away with it" that to operate without proper licensing is just demonstrating pure ignorance...

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

It's 3 years since I did my VHF course, but I think I am correct in saying that there are no recreational channels for use in the UK, as mentioned above. There are channels for marina use and information, use of any channel outside the guidelines is likely to be subject to heavy penalties and possible confiscation of the equipment. Marine VHF is for safety and emergency use, plus commercial ship and port handling, there is no leisure provision.

Roger

There may be no actual leisure provision, but surely leisure boaters can use marine VHF for purposes other than safety & emergency use? I guess contacting port authorities as well as other leisure boaters could come under safety. Anyway, on my course we were told to use VHF only for "ship's business" which can encompass talking about conditions, other traffic, speed & timings, but obviously not what time you'll be in the pub.

There may be no actual leisure provision, but surely leisure boaters can use marine VHF for purposes other than safety & emergency use? I guess contacting port authorities as well as other leisure boaters could come under safety. Anyway, on my course we were told to use VHF only for "ship's business" which can encompass talking about conditions, other traffic, speed & timings, but obviously not what time you'll be in the pub.

Operating of locks, checking availability of moorings, and so on are all classed as valid uses. The latter, enquiring by radio whether there is any room left to moor at a particular spot on the river late in the afternoon, was even used during the practice sessions on my course as an example of how to operate correctly and within the terms of the licence.

Sometimes these can be stretched creatively by a comment such as "I'm about moored outside the supermarket so anybody else who needs to stop will need to breast up alongside me, and I expect to be at least another 30 minutes because I think I forgot to remind my wife to buy some sausages" which may actually be intended purely for the ears of SWMBO on her walkie-talkie in Tescos when you discover that the fridge is empty, but can obviously be justified as a general navigational announcement to other boats in the vciinty who may wish to moor up.

Get a ham certificate for that, mine's costing 20 quid

Hey Heffalump ...

...by "Ham certificate" I hope you don't mean Amateur Radio certificate" as they are now F R E E - all you have to do is confirm once every 5 years that you are still alive and wish to keep it... but don't forget, else you may have to start from scratch all over again !!! :lol: :lol: although kids as young as 9 manage to get it quite easily, so really anyone can for a little application...

So, what's costing £20 ??? or is "happy birthday to you" time ??

Nick

Hey Heffalump ...

...by "Ham certificate" I hope you don't mean Amateur Radio certificate" as they are now F R E E - all you have to do is confirm once every 5 years that you are still alive and wish to keep it... but don't forget, else you may have to start from scratch all over again !!! :lol: :lol: although kids as young as 9 manage to get it quite easily, so really anyone can for a little application...

So, what's costing £20 ??? or is "happy birthday to you" time ??

Nick

Bugger me, I must admit I was going to do it last year and I was going to go on a course for the foundation license I think it was a day or something leading up to the test or something, has that changed now? I've been skint ever since, I've got the book and everything. Need some hard core saving up for some equipment though :lol:

Bugger me, I must admit I was going to do it last year and I was going to go on a course for the foundation license I think it was a day or something leading up to the test or something, has that changed now? I've been skint ever since, I've got the book and everything. Need some hard core saving up for some equipment though :lol:

I'll PM you, save boring all the others with this....

Nic

:lol: