Where is Finch?

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Due to set off at the end of the week to Lower Heyford for the Summer.

The question does arise where is that toerag 'Finch'. Last time I was

on the Oxford. The toerag broke in and nicked two bottles of 18 year old

single malt plus my Goretex Jacket.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Taking a break from ICT for the Summer

Due to set off at the end of the week to Lower Heyford for the Summer.

The question does arise where is that toerag 'Finch'. Last time I was

on the Oxford. The toerag broke in and nicked two bottles of 18 year old

single malt plus my Goretex Jacket.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Taking a break from ICT for the Summer

Well, apparently he was on the southern Oxford a couple of months ago, but he didn't pinch any alcohol so your malt is probably safe (if you re-stocked). I expect Finch is no more of a threat than anyone else? Make sure you keep secure.

Yes it seems engines running are a greater threat!!!

:lol:

Bloody hell Phylis, you're going to get your own version of Godwins law you are.

Mass starvation in Africa. Yea, but at least it's not engine running!

Economic meltdown. Count your blessings, at least it's not an engine running after 8.

What actually is your point here? Is running engines into the evening ok on the grounds that worse things happen? Should people accept that life is too short to discuss such trivialities? If so, why not shut up about it?

Is running engines into the evening ok on the grounds that worse things happen? Should people accept that life is too short to discuss such trivialities?

Well yes.

There are a lot worse things happening than the odd random person, whom we dont know, running their engines.

You are more than welcome to try out the house of a thousand screams if you like.

You're missing the point, possibly several. At my house I have no complaints about screaming babies, therefore to me it is just no issue. Does this mean you have no right to bemoan your broken sleep? Live and let live.

You cannot deny the right of others to be disturbed by a diesel engine just because TO YOU it is less of an issue, if someone is being kept awake then it is an issue, there is a rule, the engine runner is at fault, end of.

So in short,

QUOTE (Phylis @ Mar 16 2010, 02:30 PM)

Or 18 month old brats screaming the house down, yes, much worse than an engine running

You are wrong, I cannot hear a crying brat, but I can hear an engine so here and now the engine is worse.

if someone is being kept awake then it is an issue, there is a rule, the engine runner is at fault, end of.

So the baby is at fault. Can i go and turn it off?

I cannot hear a crying brat, but I can hear an engine so here and now the engine is worse.

It is 3.17pm in the afternoon. The engine can run all it likes

There are far greater threats, in the world, than a petty thief who goes out of his way to do minimal damage to his victims boats.

Keep 'em peeled.

Define what you mean minimal damage. Repairs cost money.

Firesprite

Middle Levels

Broken Lock/window....Minimal damage.

The same sort of damage done by most tea leafs. The costs add up

In my case the front doors had to be replaced when he crowbar his

way in (It was him, his dabs on everything). You can not get replacement

doors quickly, my insurance claim came to over 1000 notes and this

was ten years back. Why the doors? Portholes of course.

Firesprite

Middle levels

Precisely!....yet we choose to demonise this sad character.

I can't agree with calling him a 'sad character'. The real damage that he does is not nessecarily to the boat, but the state of mind of those who's boat he breaks into. Laugh or scorn all you will, but having your property broken into can make people feel insecure and scared in their own home, even to the point where people have had to move (standing by for the 'I'm alright jack' brigade to dismiss this as 'wooly clap trap'... :lol: ). That is besides the financial loses that mmay or may not be covered by insurance. And don't forget that if you claim on your insurance, your premium will go up.

Burglars are scum, and should be treated as such. If somebody ever breaks into my house, he leaves feet first. (he fell of the stairs when I scared him m'lud)

I can't agree with calling him a 'sad character'. The real damage that he does is not nessecarily to the boat, but the state of mind of those who's boat he breaks into. Laugh or scorn all you will, but having your property broken into can make people feel insecure and scared in their own home, even to the point where people have had to move (standing by for the 'I'm alright jack' brigade to dismiss this as 'wooly clap trap'... :lol: ). That is besides the financial loses that mmay or may not be covered by insurance. And don't forget that if you claim on your insurance, your premium will go up.

Burglars are scum, and should be treated as such. If somebody ever breaks into my house, he leaves feet first. (he fell of the stairs when I scared him m'lud)

I'm well aware of the psychological effects of burglary and I have neither laughed nor shown scorn for anyone who has fell victim to him or anyone else.

The fact remains that he is someone who has been let doown by society and hs former employees and, like so many ex-forces personnell, has descended to homelessness, petty crime and, quite possibly, mental health issues.

Despite this, he remains a thief and I do not condone his actions and yes, if I caught him in the act of breaking into my boat, I would like to think I could limit myself to using reasonable force to stop him.

Unfortunately, you just blew your defence case on burglar killing as you have now demonstrated your intention to do so on a public forum. The prosecution will find that very useful

Richard

The prosecution will still have to prove that I pushed him off the stairs. Intent is not the same as actually doing something.

They also need to find this forum, this post, and link me with it.

That is if I push him off the stairs. He may well fall on his own screwdriver. Oh bugger, that's another one shot...

BTW Carl, I did not mean to infere you in the 'i'm alright Jack brigade'.

BTW Carl, I did not mean to infere you in the 'i'm alright Jack brigade'.

Actually I do count myself lucky because I wasn't too traumatised, when kids torched my boat (for fun....not for food, drink or clothes). Stuff is just stuff.

Swmbo wasn't so lucky and suffered greatly, though.

Guest wanted
I'm well aware of the psychological effects of burglary and I have neither laughed nor shown scorn for anyone who has fell victim to him or anyone else.

The fact remains that he is someone who has been let doown by society and hs former employees and, like so many ex-forces personnell, has descended to homelessness, petty crime and, quite possibly, mental health issues.

Despite this, he remains a thief and I do not condone his actions and yes, if I caught him in the act of breaking into my boat, I would like to think I could limit myself to using reasonable force to stop him.

I'd be interested in knowing what interventions have been attempted, putting aside the criminal element, this guy sounds like he's trying to survive in a way that he understands. I am not condoning theft but I wonder what is going on in his head. He sounds like he needs some help.