Boating Etiquette 2

Sarah and Ian

Featured Posts

Morning All

Finally got to go out on Dignity this week had a nice run up to Barton Turns had a night in the Barton Turns the a nice run back in the wind yesterday. A couple of things happened on the journey that I would like to pass by you both to see have you opions.

1) We left the Marina at about 11.00 and headed through Willington for those who know Willington there is a tricky bridgehole there. We had just gone through this bridgehole when I looked behind me and saw a another boat he was weaving a fair bit and but was gaining on us. We passed through another bridgehole and when I looked over he was even close. After about 200 yards or Sarah said whats he doing . Basically he was trying to overtake me he bumped into my stern as he passed and pushed me towards the trees then had the gall to say thankyou. He then proceeded to weave up the canal and by the time we got to Dallow Lock he was long gone.

2) Sunday was really windy with some really strong gusts of wind. It was so bad that we struggled to set off after going through locks. As soon as we pushed the front out the wind was blowing it back in again! We headed back to towards the Marina fighting the wind and attempting to go through the locks without being blow all over the place. We eased off as we went past boats admittedly not as much as I normally do due to the blustery conditions. But if Im following someone I usually find I ease of a lot more than they do. Any way we went passed numerous boats on the way back and we were passing another row of boats when a chap was carry a gas bottle back to his boat. Shouted "Are you going fast enough!" whilst shaking his head. I said I was trying to combat the blustery wind where he then told be "f off". I was speechless. I was not flying past them and my wake was not bouncing them around their was no clanging of mooring rings etc.

So what do folk think I was unlucky to come across 2 idiots?

What happened to friendly folk on the cut :lol:

Morning All

Finally got to go out on Dignity this week had a nice run up to Barton Turns had a night in the Barton Turns the a nice run back in the wind yesterday. A couple of things happened on the journey that I would like to pass by you both to see have you opions.

1) We left the Marina at about 11.00 and headed through Willington for those who know Willington there is a tricky bridgehole there. We had just gone through this bridgehole when I looked behind me and saw a another boat he was weaving a fair bit and but was gaining on us. We passed through another bridgehole and when I looked over he was even close. After about 200 yards or Sarah said whats he doing . Basically he was trying to overtake me he bumped into my stern as he passed and pushed me towards the trees then had the gall to say thankyou. He then proceeded to weave up the canal and by the time we got to Dallow Lock he was long gone.

2) Sunday was really windy with some really strong gusts of wind. It was so bad that we struggled to set off after going through locks. As soon as we pushed the front out the wind was blowing it back in again! We headed back to towards the Marina fighting the wind and attempting to go through the locks without being blow all over the place. We eased off as we went past boats admittedly not as much as I normally do due to the blustery conditions. But if Im following someone I usually find I ease of a lot more than they do. Any way we went passed numerous boats on the way back and we were passing another row of boats when a chap was carry a gas bottle back to his boat. Shouted "Are you going fast enough!" whilst shaking his head. I said I was trying to combat the blustery wind where he then told be "f off". I was speechless. I was not flying past them and my wake was not bouncing them around their was no clanging of mooring rings etc.

Sounds like idiots to me.

Unless you were going so slowly that he was unable to avoid catching up with you, even at tickover, number one was just being an arse.

In windy conditions, tickover may not be possible. In such cases, "the slowest speed that will allow sufficient steerage to avoid being pushed into the bank or other boats" is the appropriate speed. Whilst his initial irritation was understandable, his reaction when you explained was idiotic.

I asked a similar question (passing moored boats at higher than tick-over speed) on here after a trip out in high winds in November last year.

The consensus view at that time seemed to be people would rather have you pass at a slightly higher speed than usual than hit them because you've lost control of your boat.

as to the overtaking issue - I generally just move to one side if I see a boat gaining on me and let them pass - invariably as I am probably just touching the prevailing limit and if somebody else wants to speed there is often little to be gained in getting in to an altercation with someone like that.

As Dave says - sounds like a couple of idiots.

I'm going to go a bit against the consensus on the first one. If you knew he was catching you up, did you make any plans to let him pass, or try to communicate with him by waving or shouting?

The second bloke's an idiot. I'll bet he's tied up with his ropes at 90 degrees to the bank so his boat surges back and forward at the least provocation.

Richard

Somone on your tail or in this case on your stern makes me despair - though I would agree with RLWP - did you consider letting him go by pulling over or waving him through?

We find that if we wave them through then peace reigns, though as he appears to have been weaving about a fair amount before he got to you I am not sure if letting him pass would have been safest thing?

As for the muppet asking if you are going fast enough - you could have said no I suppose!!

Coping with cross winds is never easy and any boater should IMHO have some considerations to those trying to do a juggling act between bashing other boats (going too slow) and staying in the channel by an increase in power.

All we can say - there are always some who have a moan no matter what speed you are doing.

We have noticed that some moored boaters don't go by wash but by engine sound and make the assumption that if the engine is running fast then the boat is as well - not always the case as many of us know.

Don't worry - most of us are pretty considerate (well try to be......)!!

As for the muppet asking if you are going fast enough - you could have said no I suppose!!

Coping with cross winds is never easy and any boater should IMHO have some considerations to those trying to do a juggling act between bashing other boats (going too slow) and staying in the channel by an increase in power.

Yes, on an early trip in Ripple I got blown into the side of a moored boat and hung up on his tiller, it cost me £75 in repairs to his boat as I wrenched the tiller round.

The only think I can say is that he perhaps should have taken the tiller off, but even so, if I'd gone faster there would have been no problem

When we get one coming up behind us we let them round - as long as we are not approaching a lock. We choose the spot and pull over and slow. (The spot we choose should be wide or has no trees/bushes on our side.) Then we wave chummy round. Of course there are always clowns (most not hirers) who simply go for it ignoring us, who try to tell them to wait until its safe (and at a spot we choose). In that case we try to minimise their effect on us by going on the deep side (near the towpath) and waving them into the shallows. Most of this sort seem not to have a clue about overtaking and will often suck us down the hill to ram them as they pass too close and/or too fast. Strangely these sorts are often found moored as your second chap - yelling at others to slow.

On passing moored boats in windy conditions we reckon that the breeze often causes worse wash on moored boats than we create when passing even though we are not at tickover. We do pass as far off on the other side as possible which seems to reduce the complaints but there are always some.

Before now we, moored up, have actually encouraged newly started hirers to pass quicker in a cross wind - they having been yelled at by some private to slow - a thing we observed more than one did to every hire boat but not to shares and privates who passed often at excessive speed!

Edited by Tiny

You dont say what this other boat was. If it was a stern driven or outboard powered craft it is likely to be seen weaving around as they dont steer too well at slower speeds. We often find we gain on narrowboats as we cant go as slow as they do, we do however wait until there is a decent straight to overtake on, which doesnt take too long to find on the Fossdyke/Witham.

As for the moored boat owner he was just being a knob. Im sure he wouldnt have appreciated you hitting him if the wind had caught you. Just ignore him.

After the gravel workings bridge on the Burton side of Willington there is ample deep water to allow passing. Courtesy and boating etiquette suggest that if some one has a faster boat than yours, even if you are travelling at what seems to be the maximum possible speed, then at the first opportunity you should let them through. If you reduce speed and the overtaking boat comes slowly past there is no chance of a collision. We had a boat do a flyer on us as we left Atherstone Top last year who then travelled at a snails pace and would not move over to let us past. By Hartshill, which shows an adequate degree of restraint on my part I think, I was getting a little miffed and finally overtook him without his permission on the sweeping bends after Hartshill where I knew there was deep water. Right or wrong? I didn't really care. There is nothing worse that being stuck for mile after mile behind some one who wishes to travel far more slowly than you do or can. Regards, HughC.

Thanks all most appreciated thought I was losing the plot but your support means I know I was right in what I was doing.

With regards to passing boat I hadn't been following us for more thana quarter of a mile. It was the fact he caught up with us really quickly then passed us. I normally move over and wave people across when its safe to do so and there are no trees to get pushed into. As I do not like people following to fast. He was a narrowboat not a cruise as I often let cruisers past. I was not going overly slow but the banks badly erorded so I don't go shooting of for breaking wash. If he had indicated his intention to pass I would have moved out of the way. He was in a normal boat with a normal engine. I have no problem with his passing but the manner which he did it that annoyed me.

As for the bloke who shouted at me I guess as we're youngish he thought he could act all hard by shouting at us. And massage his own ego! He wasn't even on his boat that annoyed me as well.

Edited by Sarah and Ian

Any way we went passed numerous boats on the way back and we were passing another row of boats when a chap was carry a gas bottle back to his boat. Shouted "Are you going fast enough!" whilst shaking his head. I said I was trying to combat the blustery wind where he then told be "f off". I was speechless. I was not flying past them and my wake was not bouncing them around their was no clanging of mooring rings etc.

Sadly this seems to be one of the serial "slow down shouters" who take it upon themselves to police the canals. As always when this happens to you for no reason it can be very upsetting, it takes you by surprise and can leave a bad taste for a long time.

Next time (and there will be a next time) you will be more ready and can either ignore or respond as you feel. Try not to let this put you off, these people do seem to have some sort of mental problem, it's just part of life's rich tapestry!

If I am going at the fastest reasonable speed in a strong crosswind and letting someone pass would blow me into the side to be stuck there then I won't let them pass, if they try to pass then I will increase angle of boat to try to block them. Sometimes you have to be resolute.

If I am going at the fastest reasonable speed in a strong crosswind and letting someone pass would blow me into the side to be stuck there then I won't let them pass, if they try to pass then I will increase angle of boat to try to block them. Sometimes you have to be resolute.

Instead of becoming an irregular canal police force, have you considered letting them know when you will let them pass?

Richard

Instead of becoming an irregular canal police force, have you considered letting them know when you will let them pass?

Richard

Yes if possible but from 150' in a strong wind? sign language, megaphone? but I will try to indicate with some body language such as regularly looking back but if they can't judge when it's impractical to overtake then it's their problem not mine. It's not about being a police force but about not tolerating fools.

Edited by nb Innisfree

Yes if possible but from 150' in a strong wind? sign language, megaphone? but I will try to indicate with some body language such as regularly looking back but if they can't judge when it's impractical to overtake then it's their problem not mine. It's not about being a police force but about not tolerating fools.

Aha. If that's what you do, I'd be happy to follow you. The worst thing is coming up behind a boat that steadfastly ignores you. A different category of fool.

Richard

Didn't someone on here describe tapping another boater on the shoulder with their bow?

Aha. If that's what you do, I'd be happy to follow you. The worst thing is coming up behind a boat that steadfastly ignores you. A different category of fool.

Richard

Didn't someone on here describe tapping another boater on the shoulder with their bow?

Depends what kind of look I give you :lol:

The worst thing is coming up behind a boat that steadfastly ignores you. A different category of fool.

I agree.

For the first example from the original posting, as no mention is made either of the speed OP was doing, or the boat following, I think it's hard to make a firm judgement.

There's nothing worse than being up the tail of someone slow moving who makes little effort to either let you pass, or to indicate their reasons for not doing so, and when they might.

As we are told

and by the time we got to Dallow Lock he was long gone.

it seems reasonable to assume that the overtaking boat was going substantially faster than the OP, and, unless speeding, it seems reasonable that they should have been allowed passt as soon as safe to do so.

Shouted "Are you going fast enough!"

I normally say, "Yes, thanks".

Since we started boating almost invariably with a GPS on the roof, I have been longing for people to shout....

"Do you know what speed you are going !?!"

but sadly it hasn't really happened for us.

(Obviously not going fast enough ! :lol: )

• Greenie 1

I agree.

For the first example from the original posting, as no mention is made either of the speed OP was doing, or the boat following, I think it's hard to make a firm judgement.

There's nothing worse than being up the tail of someone slow moving who makes little effort to either let you pass, or to indicate their reasons for not doing so, and when they might.

As we are told

it seems reasonable to assume that the overtaking boat was going substantially faster than the OP, and, unless speeding, it seems reasonable that they should have been allowed passt as soon as safe to do so.

I agree Alan but he must have travelled less than a quarter of a mile passed moored boats and 2 bridge holes before he got close and passed. We left from Mercia and went through Willington I can only presume he came of one of the mooring in Willington. I am more than happy to let people past and often let boats come out of the lock ahead of me as to not impede there progress. But I think to catch up with someone and force their way past where its not the best place due overhanging trees etc is out of order. The only person going to end up in Trouble was us as he passed us on the inside and his passing wash forced to the other side.

I'm over it now. I concluded the bloke was a Prat.

We have noticed that some moored boaters don't go by wash but by engine sound and make the assumption that if the engine is running fast then the boat is as well - not always the case as many of us know.

You can conduct the following experiment to see how illogical the do-you-know-how-fast-you're-going brigade are.

When you come to a line of boats, go past in one of the following ways:

1st scenario: don't slacken speed – result people will shout at you.

2nd scenario: don't slacken speed, but turn the engine down to a tickover (in my case about 90 rpm) – result people will stick their heads out and say “thankyou.”

3rd scenario: slow right down, but with the engine in neutral, keep up the revs – result people will shout at you.

Great fun – works nearly every time. :lol:

Great fun – works nearly every time. :lol:

I didn't have you down as a trouble maker!

EDITED TO ADD:

Presumably you have even more scope for confusing people with a motorised butty, but with a hydraulic transmission ?

Edited by alan_fincher