And finally....

heyjude999

Featured Posts

Well at long last our boat will be handed over next Friday morning.

I want to sing from the rooftops but there are 6 days between now and then for something to go wrong so I am holding off the celebration just yet.

The next couple of weeks will not be easy, as we have to move to temp accomodation next weekend and then move to the boat the following weekend but it's so close I can almost smell the wood.

The forum has been useful is this journey, sometimes incredibly sceptic and critical and rarely balanced but it's been interesting and I thank everyone of you who has helped us.

Really looking forward to sitting on the back of the boat now, with a glass of something nice, watching the wildlife thinking it was all worth it.

Please all send positive thoughts that the Trent does not flood, the canal does not freeze, or that there are no other mishaps.

I want to sing from the rooftops but there are 6 days between now and then for something to go wrong so I am holding off the celebration just yet.

The next couple of weeks will not be easy, as we have to move to temp accomodation next weekend and then move to the boat the following weekend but it's so close I can almost smell the wood.

The forum has been useful is this journey, sometimes incredibly sceptic and critical and rarely balanced but it's been interesting and I thank everyone of you who has helped us.

Really looking forward to sitting on the back of the boat now, with a glass of something nice, watching the wildlife thinking it was all worth it.

Please all send positive thoughts that the Trent does not flood, the canal does not freeze, or that there are no other mishaps.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Oh you're so lucky we've got another year to wait for ours. Will look out for you. Where are you mooring?? We have one reserved at Mercia. Hope it goes well for you..

We will be at Tinsley for a good while before we retire early and set off on our travels.

Feels like we have waited forever, we have been paying for the mooring for 14 months.

quote name='abfab' date='Feb 20 2010, 03:38 PM' post='493105']

Oh you're so lucky we've got another year to wait for ours. Will look out for you. Where are you mooring?? We have one reserved at Mercia. Hope it goes well for you..

We will be at Tinsley for a good while before we retire early and set off on our travels.

Feels like we have waited forever, we have been paying for the mooring for 14 months.

quote name='abfab' date='Feb 20 2010, 03:38 PM' post='493105']

Who built your boat?? We are retiring early too...

We planned to sell our house but could'nt in the end so have rented it long term.

But our plan is to save like crazy once we are on the boat, we have a magic figure in our minds and when we get to that we are off we reckon 4 years ish.

J D Narrowboats at Shardlow built Incommunicado, she is 58ft x 10ft 6in so a lovely living space. We are not too worried we cannot get everywhere because in the long term we plan to go to France.

Who built your boat?? We are retiring early too...
Edited by heyjude999

Good luck with it Jude. We want plenty of updates and lots of photos too. :lol:

Kev

Cant offer any practical advice just best wishes, and if youve come this far the rest should be plain sailing, you are in a very enviable position go and enjoy it and dont look for the wheel to come off as sometimes things do go straightforward. :lol:

Best of luck with your boat, but be warned the Trent is running high and I don't know if the stoppage at Cranfleet Cut has been cleared yet. I would suggest a gentle potter along the T&M until the river goes down - we had a lot of snow overnight and more is forecast.

Well you have to laugh, (sorry I think it's hysteria) got there on Friday ready to unpack and guess what boat still not finished..............oh well.

Not good at all...

You didn't ring to double check - ?

Actually thinking about it, a courteous company should have contacted you, they must have known you were coming. -

What still needs finishing??? -

I was about to add my best wishes to the end of this thread but I am gutted to see there was a problem at the last moment - what have they still got to do and have they given you a new ETA?

I feel so sorry for you as hold ups like this when you are embarking on a new chapter of your life are so unsettling

On a practical level - who would be comfortable giving this boat it's maiden voyage on the River Trent, in winter flow conditions? Look at the posts 13 & 14 from 21st and 22nd of Feb. I don't think we have had much dry weather in the last week.

In another thread we have been told the Soar is 'in flood' and movement has been stopped (by which I assume they mean that some locks are padlocked).

The route plays hopscotch with the Trent until Nottingham, but every 'cut' has a weir to go with it, to turn a minor engine mishap into something much worse. Then with only a brief respite at Newark it's River all the way.

Downstream it maybe, but the motor will have to be turning fast just to give steerage, and turning fast for 8 or more hours continuously.

In itself, the engine may be fine, but the installation?? All it takes is a wire connection or a nut and bolt shaking loose and that's it, you can't just sit there while you investigate the problem, as though you are on the Grand Union.

One shouldn't ignore the domestic waterworks either, one connection not properly made, or pulled slightly loose while doing later work, and the continuous vibration could open the joint. It's only an interior flood, but again, not what you want while running a fast moving River.

Funnily enough, I had no objection moving an older boat on the River in these flow conditions, but a new and untested one? No thanks.

Good Luck, I think you need it.

Most surely a blessing.

We've been down to the GU at Leicester and it's just in the amber and further rain looks likely. So I think you are better off letting them finish the boat off and give the Soar/Trent chance to subside a bit

Most surely a blessing.

We've been down to the GU at Leicester and it's just in the amber and further rain looks likely. So I think you are better off letting them finish the boat off and give the Soar/Trent chance to subside a bit

Congratulations on the new boat - enjoyyyyyy . . . . !

I watched an old edition of Waterworld on some channel or other last night. The programme followed a couple with their young lad as they left their sold house and travelled to pick up their brand new boat.

They got there and sure enough the boat wasn't ready as the lady of the boat said there were a few final things to be done.

These things included, believe it or not, the radiators, pipework, curtain rails and curtains and you can only assume other items as well. the new owners were stepping over the boatyard staff as they were still carrying out the fitout.

As has been mentioned, why on earth can't the boatyard say (and admit) that they have failed in their agreement to supply.

I feel for Heyjude. must be frustrating, high rivers or not. this is an important time in their lives.

I wish you better luck and happiness once you do eventually get afloat.

Martyn

Been today and looking better, mostly trim/doors/fire testing/skirting boards/couple of electric points, all fiddly time consuming.

I reckon the boat yard have been doing a raindance all week to give them extra time.

Yes it is a blessing not disguised for the boatyard, they will be praying the Trent stays like this for the next few days.

I still think it's the wow factor that is keeping me going...it really is stunning.

Thank you for your good wishes.

They set the date and time and rang us a couple of days before to say everything was almost there, bar a couple of bits, that was why I was so shocked.

Not good at all...

You didn't ring to double check - ?

Actually thinking about it, a courteous company should have contacted you, they must have known you were coming. -

What still needs finishing??? -

They set the date and time and rang us a couple of days before to say everything was almost there, bar a couple of bits, that was why I was so shocked.

But it does just sound like a couple of bits to be frank,

I read your subsequent post as you'd got there and it didn't have an engine.......

What you've described is certainly no worse than when we bought our current house.

Given the probs some others have had buying a new boat I think you've done pretty well... make the most of it and just enjoy..

Edited by MJG

Wouldnt worry too much. As others have said the Trent is very high and running very quickly at the moment, so it may be a blessing in disguise. Pray for weather like this for this week then you should be OK after that. Give the water time to calm down a little.