Ecofan

mayalld

If you have ever used an ecofan  

132 members have voted

1. 1. Did it make any difference

• Yes, it made a huge difference
    • Yes, it made some difference
    • Well, I suppose that it made some difference, but not enough to justify the expense
    • I couldn't detect any difference, it is fine as an executive toy, but no use for heat distribution
    • HOW MUCH did I pay for this snake oil

Featured Posts

What's the difference between an ecofan and this forum? The forum is far better at hot air circulation. :lol:

How about a few of us try a little scientific experiment to see whether or not an ecofan REALLY makes any difference - significant or otherwise?

Though - actually thinking about it - this is not as simple as it may sound. The obvious thing would seem be to take a BEFORE and AFTER ecofan temperature reading in the 'test area' with the stove at a reasonably high and steady temperature. But there are a number of factors that may affect results e.g. Temperature of stove/speed of ecofan; Timing -when to take readings? Length of boat; Layout - 'straight' or 'S' shaped?; Placement of walls, partitions, doors; Windows/vents - open or closed? Position of windows/vents; Efficiency of insulation? Rate of heat loss? etc. etc.

Others of a far more technical/scientific mind-set than I may have the solution....or not as the case may be.

Edited to add: Oh and BTW - the poll IS (unintentionally perhaps) biased

Edited by quebec

Dimwit to the fore! what is an ecofan? and what is the difference between an ecofan and my three blade cooling fan? :lol: If they really work can one be recommended for my lounge as most of the heat seems to go up the chimney?

Heat operated fans ... they sit on top of the stove and stir the air around

45k1870s3.jpg

Woah, they are ugly, suppose others think they are beautiful, maybe another couple of questions for the poll? So the hot air moves the blades round? Do they need 'priming' to start or does the heat just move them, rather like the discs that spin round in the light?

I am of the "it works for me" Brigade. We have a 60 ft trad stern boat. There is a Bubble stove at the front left side (forrard port side). The rear / aft / stern cabin is cold. However, with the eco fanny on the bubble stove, the temperature in the stern / aft / rear cabin increased by about 5 deg C. This was in weather of about -3 deg C outside.

So, it does work, although it could be better.

2 blade paid for not a present fan.

Keith

:lol:

Hi.

We have a two blade model atop our wood burning stove at home. This stove heats the whole house with the ecofan. Before we purchased it heated the lounge. The fire is in an inglenook, and the heat is certainly distributed further with the fan. Still don't understand the physics but thats nothing new!

John.

Woah, they are ugly, suppose others think they are beautiful, maybe another couple of questions for the poll? So the hot air moves the blades round? Do they need 'priming' to start or does the heat just move them, rather like the discs that spin round in the light?

Err, no, the temperature gradient across a heat sensitive semi-conductor type sandwich (mounted between the lower leg and the finned upper section) creates an electrical current which drives a motor which turns the fan. You have to have the fins at the top (the bit you probably consider ugly) to create the temperature gradient otherwise they wouldn't work. They self start once the heat has built up enough to create sufficient electrical current.

Roger

They have a groovy plate on the base that generates electrickery from the heat and that drives the motor.

They're not that ugly!

scientific analysis using recently calibrated temperature probe.

stove situ mid lounge in front end of 70ft narrowboat - lounge - kitchen - bedroom - bathroom layout - BMC and engine room not included as door shut!!!!

5 pm

outside temp 1 c

lounge temp 24c static thermometer

temp at 6ft 25 c

temp at floor level 23 c

bedroom 6ft 22 c

bathroom 6ft 21 c

6pm

outside temp 0c

lounge temp 24 c

temp 6ft - 25

temp fl - 23

bdrm 22

bathroom 21

removed ecofan from stove at 6pm

7pm

outside temp -1c

lounge temp 24

temp 6ft - 26

temp fl - 21

bdrm - 19

bthrm 17

8pm

outside temp -1c

lounge tmp 24

6ft 26c

fl-21c - put socks on now

bdrm - 18

bthrm - 16

9pm put ecofan back on stove at 8.30pm

outside temp - -1c

lounge 24.5 c

6ft - 25.5

fl - 23c

bdrm - 20

bthrm 18

Ecofan wins for my layout

my feet are slowly warming up now!!!

Came across this posting on another forum from a guy in Northern Norway who has a hunting cabin:

"The temperature in the cabin upon arrival was about 0'F, and the warming of the cabin had to start. To get the cabin to about 72'F, usually takes 6-8 hour when the temperatures are so low. The big difference this year was that I had the Ecofan Airplus with me. And this time it only took me about 2hrs to get the cold out of the cabin."

snipped results

Excellent, well done. Proof of what the enlightened knew anyway and confounds the doubters........although I've no doubt they'll try and come up with some arguments against this data........but, then again, some people still believe that the earth is flat :lol:

Roger

oh please, can I vote?

Tell you what. You haven't got an Ecofan. I haven't got an Ecofan. If we both vote at opposite ends of the scale, then it will balance and cancel out without changing the results. What do you think?

Richard

Tell you what. You haven't got an Ecofan. I haven't got an Ecofan. If we both vote at opposite ends of the scale, then it will balance and cancel out without changing the results. What do you think?

No participation without circulation!

Well the doom-mongers can say what they like. I had the two blade model and it spread the heat around down the full length of my 59ft nb cabin quite well. No-one would pretend that the temperature was as good in the stern bedroom as it was in the forward saloon but it was a damn sight better than without. Also, it certainly helped to keep your legs warmer in the saloon than they were before without it. No, it's not psychosomatic, it really works.

Roger

Here Here. They are fantastic! The Canadians in their log cabins cant be wrong, they invented it! End of story.

Richard

I'm in, who's voting for what? Snake oil or jumping out of the bath and running down the street shouting before remembering you wished you'd taken a towel with you... Your choice!

I'd rather not be left wishing I'd brought a towel though, it's cold out there :lol:

I'm in, who's voting for what? Snake oil or jumping out of the bath and running down the street shouting before remembering you wished you'd taken a towel with you... Your choice!

I'd rather not be left wishing I'd brought a towel though, it's cold out there :lol:

Yeah but you see, if you had an Ecofan, when you came back into the boat from your Eureka moment without towel just think how much more evenly warmer you'd be! :lol:

Roger

From what I've read, and the fact it's a neat gadget, I'd normally go for the Eureka moment. But as an experiment I'll try on the Snake Oil option if you want

Richard

This isn't electoral fraud is it? Collusion and tactical voting and all that

Edited by RLWP

stove situ mid lounge in front end of 70ft narrowboat - lounge - kitchen - bedroom - bathroom layout - BMC and engine room not included as door shut!!!!

5 pm

outside temp 1 c

lounge temp 24c static thermometer

temp at 6ft 25 c

temp at floor level 23 c

bedroom 6ft 22 c

bathroom 6ft 21 c

6pm

outside temp 0c

lounge temp 24 c

temp 6ft - 25

temp fl - 23

bdrm 22

bathroom 21

removed ecofan from stove at 6pm

7pm

outside temp -1c

lounge temp 24

temp 6ft - 26

temp fl - 21

bdrm - 19

bthrm 17

8pm

outside temp -1c

lounge tmp 24

6ft 26c

fl-21c - put socks on now

bdrm - 18

bthrm - 16

9pm put ecofan back on stove at 8.30pm

outside temp - -1c

lounge 24.5 c

6ft - 25.5

fl - 23c

bdrm - 20

bthrm 18

The fact remains that this is a small fan running at less than 1 volt. It is not possible to get the results that you claim from such a small power source. People moving about the boat will circulate more air. The fluctuations in temperature that you describe would be normal with or without an Ecofan. To claim that such a fan will circulate air up to 50ft away is ridiculous.

Why did it not increase the lounge temp?

The fact remains that this is a small fan running at less than 1 volt. It is not possible to get the results that you claim from such a small power source. People moving about the boat will circulate more air. The fluctuations in temperature that you describe would be normal with or without an Ecofan. To claim that such a fan will circulate air up to 50ft away is ridiculous.

Why did it not increase the lounge temp?

So either he is telling porkies or the figures are correct in which case it seems likely that the fan was having some sort of effect, why we don't really know but that is the evidence :lol: