Wet and Dry vacuum cleaners

wrigglefingers

Featured Posts

Well, it's been a rubbish week. No job in sight, streaming cold which has kicked off my asthma in big style again, and the clutch on the car gave out yesterday (on the way home from looking at a new amplifier for the monstrous system I've be planning from Cobbett, so that's a no hoper for a while, tsk).

I digress though, the one shining event of the week has been that my vacuum cleaner (which I loathed with a passion as it's totally useless but was very very expensive) blew up on Tuesday and so by judicious exercise of my Christmas pressie money I can buy a new one. I'm thinking of buying a wet and dry vacuum as it is inevitable that the water pump on Cobbett will break and I have no desire to spend a entire Saturday evening scooping out the water with a mug ever, ever again. Any thoughts on a Numatic? It's either a Charles or a George.

Wriggly

PS what's the best amplifier and dock for a iPod on a boat? I'm thinking Cyrus 6SE and Arcam dock at the mo (sod the clutch; I drive too much any way ....)

I'm thinking of buying a wet and dry vacuum as it is inevitable that the water pump on Cobbett will break and I have no desire to spend a entire Saturday evening scooping out the water with a mug ever, ever again.

Hi..

Machine mart do a very good vetvac for around 40 pound. I've used one to suck the oil from my engine and the water that gathered in the point. But, once you use it to suck up oil it's not a good idea to then use it to vacuum the carpet :lol:

Hi..

Machine mart do a very good vetvac for around 40 pound. I've used one to suck the oil from my engine and the water that gathered in the point. But, once you use it to suck up oil it's not a good idea to then use it to vacuum the carpet :lol:

Thanks Casper, not planning any carpet due to cat and textile activities; they don't go well together. Thea kills carpets with a venom never, ever practised on a rodent....

Well, it's been a rubbish week. No job in sight, streaming cold which has kicked off my asthma in big style again, and the clutch on the car gave out yesterday (on the way home from looking at a new amplifier for the monstrous system I've be planning from Cobbett, so that's a no hoper for a while, tsk).

I digress though, the one shining event of the week has been that my vacuum cleaner (which I loathed with a passion as it's totally useless but was very very expensive) blew up on Tuesday and so by judicious exercise of my Christmas pressie money I can buy a new one. I'm thinking of buying a wet and dry vacuum as it is inevitable that the water pump on Cobbett will break and I have no desire to spend a entire Saturday evening scooping out the water with a mug ever, ever again. Any thoughts on a Numatic? It's either a Charles or a George.

Wriggly

PS what's the best amplifier and dock for a iPod on a boat? I'm thinking Cyrus 6SE and Arcam dock at the mo (sod the clutch; I drive too much any way ....)

Hi Wriggly

Get a Charles- had one for over twenty years and it's still going strong. Wet or dry, it has cleaned the worst imaginable bilges over the years- oil, mud,canal water,diesel , you name it , it's sucked it up. Brilliant. We had to get a couple of new hoses over the years, the plastic end wears down if you don't use the metal tubes . The motor has never failed ( famous last words!)

Amplifier? i would have a pair of Leak TL12s- but I doubt they would suit you.

Bill

Wriggly

Hi

Is it a Dyson?

They dont advertise it but the will rebuild any Dyson back to as new for a fixed fee of about £60.

Alex

I use one of these http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wet-n-Dry-Vacuum-Cleaner/invt/505031

Dry bilge every time, also good for retrieving tools, nut and bolts from under engines.

Andrew

The Wickes is the same as the Earlex WD1000 we've got (but a better price, grrrr!).

It's a bit big and noisy, but does the jobs.

Earlex WD1000

Hi Wriggly

Get a Charles- had one for over twenty years and it's still going strong. Wet or dry, it has cleaned the worst imaginable bilges over the years- oil, mud,canal water,diesel , you name it , it's sucked it up. Brilliant. We had to get a couple of new hoses over the years, the plastic end wears down if you don't use the metal tubes . The motor has never failed ( famous last words!)

Amplifier? i would have a pair of Leak TL12s- but I doubt they would suit you.

Bill

A pair of TL12s? You lucky boy! And why wouldn't I want to enjoy the velvety sounds of a pair of vintage and very special valve amps, hmmm? Not sure they'd be stable or secure on a damp narrowboat though :lol: Once had some valve Quad amps (IIs, from memory) which were partnered with ESL57s, only two stage - I think the Leaks are three-stage? Just awesome when you sat in exactly the right spot.

Anyway, thanks for the advice about a wet and dry. The original vacuum isn't a Dyson, it's a LG although just as useless!

Vax, no questions asked, the classic style cannister is the one you want... :lol:

ebay clicky

As for Dysons, throw them in the bin, they're not as good as they claim, better to get something else, and bagged too, don't want clouds of dust flying up out of your bin as you empty a bagless... :lol:

How do you access that service?

If you must, go to dyson's website and take your pick of vacuums here:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/help.asp?article=56

Not sure what they do in terms of in-house servicing or whether they collect and return it... :lol:

Vax, no questions asked, the classic style cannister is the one you want... :lol:

ebay clicky

As for Dysons, throw them in the bin, they're not as good as they claim, better to get something else, and bagged too, don't want clouds of dust flying up out of your bin as you empty a bagless... :lol:

If you must, go to dyson's website and take your pick of vacuums here:

http://www.dyson.co.uk/support/help.asp?article=56

Not sure what they do in terms of in-house servicing or whether they collect and return it... :lol:

Well you say that but I have one of the older ones - had it about 12 years and found it the best vacuum cleaner I have ever had. I agree the new ones look to be made of cheaper plastic and that does not bode well for the internal gubbins. I've replaced my old Dyson with another but I wouldn't mind refurbishing the original.

Well you say that but I have one of the older ones - had it about 12 years and found it the best vacuum cleaner I have ever had. I agree the new ones look to be made of cheaper plastic and that does not bode well for the internal gubbins. I've replaced my old Dyson with another but I wouldn't mind refurbishing the original.

and we had ( have ) a DC01 which I think was one of their first since shortly after they came out, and its still going, despite being used for plaster and brick dust, which I admit is doing it a power of no good... We also had it "refurbished" at the flat cost of around £60 too !!

Nick

Try owning a Sanitaire (fair enough they're pretty rare here in the UK, but still appears on ebay), outcleans a dyson anyday, that and a Tristar (another american vacuum that is one of the best, also rare here, but they do crop up), there's more to the vacuuming world than a dyson... :lol:

Does make me wonder though, why do european cylinders lack any form of decent motorised power nozzle? My old Electrolux Z1185e Slimline has been transformed by giving it yet another american vacuum tool, a Eureka Rotomatic power nozzle (converted to 240v), it cleans far better now than it did with the supplied (not matching though) floor brush tool... :lol:

Hi

Did you find a Dyson contact, if not I can ring my friend.

Alex

The support/help link kindly provided by 2cvbloke didn't help much

I've heard that there is a "Dyson Doctor" somewhere near Boston but I'd be grateful for other contacts as well

Do you want to PM me a number?

I've heard that there is a "Dyson Doctor" somewhere near Boston but I'd be grateful for other contacts as well

Hi,

Just phone Dyson, I found them very helpful - they will re-build it to new standard for £60, you see very few Dysons down at the tip due to this service - what ever the condition their Sevice Engineer will re-build it, they see it as some kind of challenge.

Leo

Hi,

Just phone Dyson, I found them very helpful - they will re-build it to new standard for £60, you see very few Dysons down at the tip due to this service - what ever the condition their Sevice Engineer will re-build it, they see it as some kind of challenge.

Leo

You haven't seen my local tip then... :lol:

Hi again

This friend is on holiday but said to contact Dyson web site / support/ arrange a service

Dyson support

Alex

I have B osch vacuum wet and dry around £80 from screwfix, eats everything i can throw at it

but...

it's crap below about 80Hz

I have B osch vacuum wet and dry around £80 from screwfix, eats everything i can throw at it

but...

it's crap below about 80Hz

How on earth are you running it above 80hz? :lol:

And that said, if you are running it that high a frequency, you're probably killing the motor, the faster it spins the more likelihood it'll throw the windings from the armature... :lol:

You haven't seen my local tip then... :lol:

The 'tip' staff probably are not tuned in, round our way it's salvage the Dyson, spend £60 and sell on a rebuilt (new) machine for £90+.

£30+ tax free.

Sound economics.

Leo.

When they re-build it it is virtually brand new, every part is renewed.

The 'tip' staff probably are not tuned in, round our way it's salvage the Dyson, spend £60 and sell on a rebuilt (new) machine for £90+.

£30+ tax free.

Sound economics.

Leo.

When they re-build it it is virtually brand new, every part is renewed.

Well, who knows what they do after the tip closes, but there' certainly stacks of the buggers each time I go to drop something off (and hope to take something away too!!!)... :lol: