A small favour

FrigateCaptain

Featured Posts

Could anyone help?

I have some large(ish) logs that need to be cut and although i have a saw, I have nerve damage/problems in my hands meaning

that i get through 2 cuts then have to stop.

If you can help, we're at Bradford on Avon on the Kennet and Avon

Thanks

oh should read the post before replying, was about to offer help and ask where, a bit far sorry :lol:

sure someone will offer soon

Could anyone help?

I have some large(ish) logs that need to be cut and although i have a saw, I have nerve damage/problems in my hands meaning

Thanks

Make sure any volunteer know what they're doing. Chain saws can be lethal in the wrong hands.

Make sure any volunteer know what they're doing. Chain saws can be lethal in the wrong hands.

Im surprised that you can still buy them without proving that you have been trained to use one, especially with all the H+S bull***t around these days, but then H+S isnt really about anyones health or safety is it, its about insurance liability.

Apparently an even bigger killer can still be bought, too, the motor car.

One difference though being that some training is required to drive a motor car, and a qualification needs to be achieved before being let loose with one on your own.

One difference though being that some training is required to drive a motor car, and a qualification needs to be achieved before being let loose with one on your own.

Which reinforces the theory that, even with training, it is still a greater killer.

Im surprised that you can still buy them without proving that you have been trained to use one, especially with all the H+S bull***t around these days, but then H+S isnt really about anyones health or safety is it, its about insurance liability.

Some 'health and safety' excuses are just that, excuses, driven by fear of litigation. However, there should be no argument that enlightened H&S policies in industry have saved lives and prevented countless unscrupulous employers from killing and maining their employees in the pursuit of profit.

Safety when using a chainsaw isn't a joke. I for one would not dream of hiring one without the necessary 'ballistic' clothing to save my limbs if I should drop the saw or lose my grip.

When you hire potentially hazardous tools, you can also get the proper safety equipment. It's plain stupid not to.

Which reinforces the theory that, even with training, it is still a greater killer.

Obviously.

I just don't quite understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you suggesting that whilst the current death and serious injury rates from chain-saw accidents are less than those from motoring accidents that it is not necessary to do anything further to try and protect people from the former ?

In fact, can you produce a statistic that shows that a trained motorist, who is also an untrained chain-saw user, isn't still at considerable risk from using the saw as well a his car? (There are a hell of a lot more motorists than chain saw users, so you need to consider it in percentage terms, rather than absolute numbers, of course).

Obviously.

I just don't quite understand the point you are trying to make.

Are you suggesting that whilst the current death and serious injury rates from chain-saw accidents are less than those from motoring accidents that it is not necessary to do anything further to try and protect people from the former ?

In fact, can you produce a statistic that shows that a trained motorist, who is also an untrained chain-saw user, isn't still at considerable risk from using the saw as well a his car? (There are a hell of a lot more motorists than chain saw users, so you need to consider it in percentage terms, rather than absolute numbers, of course).

No I'm suggesting that a chainsaw, like many power tools and other everyday items, is a dangerous thing, if not used sensibly and with the correct safety equipment.

There has to be a certain amount of personal responsibility, with any activity that involves risk, though.

It isn't as if the H&S bods haven't looked into it, or regulated the sale of chainsaws.

Unless the regs have changed, since I did the course, it is illegal to buy a top-handled chainsaw, without the necessary certificate of competence.

Hi FrigateCaptain,

Sent you PM couple of days ago. Not sure when I will be passing as based in Bristol but may be going to Box mine soon so fairly close. If you have no joy send me a PM with your phone number and if close by happy to stop and assist, I have all the safety kit and happy to use own saw if the wood is clean.

Bat

Unless the regs have changed, since I did the course, it is illegal to buy a top-handled chainsaw, without the necessary certificate of competence.

I think this still applies, but never been asked to show when I have bought one ( although always bought at trade shows), but then the big blue book is a lot to carry around !

I think this still applies, but never been asked to show when I have bought one ( although always bought at trade shows), but then the big blue book is a lot to carry around !

yup still applies, although they have done away with the blue book still have mine though

wouldnt be without my tophandled saw :lol: , try using a ground saw in the tree!! and bloody great tool for loging :lol:

yup still applies, although they have done away with the blue book still have mine though

wouldnt be without my tophandled saw :lol: , try using a ground saw in the tree!! and bloody great tool for loging :lol:

Don't do a lot of climbing these days ( its amazing how you get heavier bones as you get older !) but top handle great for hedge laying

Don't do a lot of climbing these days ( its amazing how you get heavier bones as you get older !) but top handle great for hedge laying

and i thought it was down to all the pies :lol:

hedgelayings a skill i don't have, amongst many, i have tried but it hurts too much, those hedges are thorny you know

what area do you work. i do get the odd request for some hedgework

Could anyone help?

Thanks

If you're passing Claverton, feel free to knock on our door (evenings and weekends) and I'd be happy to do it for you.

Tom.

• 2 weeks later...
Could anyone help?

Thanks

Hi,

Finally be down your way on friday as going down Winsley mine, not sure what time we will be out but should be able to do some if not all the logging if still needed. Have PM'ed my mobi number but will need to know by Thurs eve as safety kit stored in garage. Also good directions would be useful, postcode (or grid ref) for satnav etc.

Iain