Greetings from Ansty.....

Featured Posts

Greetings from Ansty - currently moored opposite the Rose & Castle's beer garden after picking Moira up yesterday from Stoke Golding.

Cruised about 2 hours yesterday and moored just before the Lime Kilns last night, managed to find a spot (possibly the only one) that BW have obviously recently dredged out and dumped their efforts on the tow path.... ie very muddy!!!

We were running low on light so had little choice. Using the mooring plank allowed us once moored to step over it but things were a bit sticky whilst we actually moored :lol:

Weather's being kind so far cold but dry - the M&S 'thermals' and Millets gloves I got for xmas have been a godesnd.

Today we've been moving about 5 1/2 hours, turned left at Marston stopped for lunch on the Coventry just opposite the big school, seen quite a few boats 'on the move', surprised me thought it would be extremely quiet this time of year but seemingly not.

The greatest sense of achievement came doing our first lock unassisted. Probably not a big deal for 99% on here (especially as it was Sutton stop lock, possibly the easiest lock on the whole system :lol: - it was as if it had been purpose designed especially for people doing locks as a couple for the first time) - so the crew we normally have with us are officially redundant!! More challenging locks to come tomorrow.

Pizza for tea and a well earned G&T or two beckons...

Cheers,

Cruised about 4 1/2 hours today and currently moored just up from Hilmorton locks - we had planned to go through them today but decided to do them in the morning. Has been very cold today (more wind chill than actually cold) along with some sleet and light snow so we were a bit weather beaten especially sat out a bit exposed on the cruiser stern. (But that's another subject as we know).

Have to say the Oxford is a very nice attractive canal with some impressive cuttings and we were quite taken with the coloured lights in Newbold tunnel, never having seen that don e before. Expected the section through/Past Rugby to be 'ropey' but it was surprisingly pleasant.

Train anorak mode on.

A very nice (abandoned) railway viaduct to oggle as you come through near Clifton on Dunsmore was very impressive too, as were the glimpses of the fast Virgin trains were the canal and the West Coast mainline run parallel -

Train anorak mode off

So the spag bol is underway and the merlot is open.

We'll gird our loins for the cold in the morning (and the locks) and post an update for any body who is interested.

Edit to add - forgot to add - we had a(nother) Dennis in the cut incident today!!. Moored for lunch at Newbold-on-Avon and as he was jumping off the boat his extending lead didn't extend (as it was locked!!!) meaning the furthest he could leap was into the gap between the boat and the bank :lol: . He's getting used to this scenario now :lol: so just shook himself off, got dried off and recovered with a pigs ear.

Edited by MJG

You went by us today then...not long after you set off from the rose and castle you would of passed a long line of moored boats - on a farm. Ours is the second one in.

Its quite weird hearing someone elses opinion of the area you know very well. you would of then shortly passed through Brinklow and Rose narrow boats.

Have a good trip..I'll enjoy this. I think your looking at some serious cold weather comming in though...ATB

Edited by Evo

"very nice (abandoned) railway viaduct to oggle as you come through near Clifton on Dunsmore was very impressive too, as were the glimpses of the fast Virgin trains were the canal and the West Coast mainline run parallel -"

Ex GCR. Built by Edmund Watkin to Continental loading gauge!

I am going to Hillmorton tomorrow morning to check the progress of our boat repaint at Grantham's Bridge.

What time do you recon you will be there? If I see you I will make my self known - what NB are you in?

Edited by Ray T

"very nice (abandoned) railway viaduct to oggle as you come through near Clifton on Dunsmore was very impressive too, as were the glimpses of the fast Virgin trains were the canal and the West Coast mainline run parallel -"

Ex GCR. Built by Edmund Watkin to Continental loading gauge!

I am going to Hillmorton tomorrow morning to check the progress of our boat repaint at Grantham's Bridge.

What time do you recon you will be there? If I see you I will make my self known - what NB are you in?

Hi Ray here now, NB Moira

Edited by MJG

Apologies if this gets posted twice (once would be nice :lol: ) - but I'm currently at the mercy of a very poor GPRS Vodafone signal.

Greetings from Braunston-

Reckon we could have gone a good bit further but as the weather looks like it's set to turn for the worse didn't fancy being compelled to spend hour upon hour cruising in the very cold over the coming days just to get back on time.

In the end managed Hilmarston locks a aplomb. Jane was a bit phased by the lock gate walkways so we swapped planned roles and she took the boat in the locks with me shouting instructions encouragement from the side by No' 3 she was a master at it, especially holding the position of the boat in the lock which she'd never done before.

Met Ray T at the locks (nice to meet you Ray)

Pretty cold cruising down to Braunston but bright blue skies and sunshine this afternoon so been out and got some pics. Seen some very nice boats down here today - this is clearly where the boating money types hang out (no offence intended).

Saw the (in)famous Dover moored in the marina.

Made a complete balls of turning round at Braunston turn and managed to temporarily wedge Moira across the cut in the full view of the chandlers car-park - it looked quiet so I don't think I'll pop up on you tube or YBF!!!. A quick yuk with the pole and we were free turned and facing back home.

Had a walk into the village as essential supplies (ie wine!!) hadn't been correctly calculated for, soon rectified as there is an excellent Londis supermarket in the centre of Braunston for anyone that doesn't know.

Looks like chilli for tea tonight.

TTFN--

Oh and Stuart - glad you're getting along with your new gadget.

Edit for typo

Edited by MJG

It's great to read your enthusiastic progress reports again - is this your third hiring from Ashby Boats in the last six or seven months? Braunston repays a good wander and snoop around, it's full of history.

The way things are going you could be boat owners by the year's end! Discussing such a move whilst draining most of a wine box will help - here speaks the voice of experience, as it was in those circumstances one evening in 1998 that Mrs. Athy and I resolved to get a boat of our own. So you'd better give up the wine right away or you never know what you'll end up owning by Christmas.

It's great to read your enthusiastic progress reports again - is this your third hiring from Ashby Boats in the last six or seven months? Braunston repays a good wander and snoop around, it's full of history.

The way things are going you could be boat owners by the year's end! Discussing such a move whilst draining most of a wine box will help - here speaks the voice of experience, as it was in those circumstances one evening in 1998 that Mrs. Athy and I resolved to get a boat of our own. So you'd better give up the wine right away or you never know what you'll end up owning by Christmas.

Thanks Athy and to others for the encouraging comments.

Well boat ownership by the end of 2010 is certainly the plan, we do however need to hit a point were we stop spending on hiring to put dosh towards a deposit.... :lol: OR the other option which is to sell up, down size, putting the equity into a boat. We are booked for a 2 week extended break in April from Napton just to cement our conviction long term boating and boat ownership is for us.

Our last two hires (from Ashby) have been about assessing our ability to boat on our own (without a big set of lock wheelers) and out of season.

Edited by MJG

Well what a beautiful day in the end.

Woke to bright sunshine but no heating (gas needed changing) - gawd was it cold with no radiators.

Popped into Braunston for the papers and then set off against blue sky..........

after about 15 minutes we in the midst of a pretty grim snow storm - toyed with the idea of pulling over and sitting it out but decided to press on and after about 15 minutes it cleared and we've had bright blue sky and sun all the way to Newbold-on-Avon.

Even managed to do some ice breaking in the Barby Straight - well it was very very patchy and only a very very thin crust but enough to make that distinctive cracking sound as you passed through.

We have got a fuller sense today about being careful with your available resources after needing to change the gas and flattening the domestic batteries with the lights TV/Laptop and inverter on last night.

Passed back through Hillmorton locks without a hitch and moored up now with Jan preparing Chicken Tika Masala.

PS if anybody at Vodafone thinks their internet service via. one of their dongle is satisfactory they are avin' a larf :lol:

Edited by MJG

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

Braunston is a notorious black spot for mobile / dongle reception.

When we met you Jane lookes pretty expert at manouvoring the boat into and then in the lock.

If you survive this - think how more pleasureable the Spring / Summer will be.

Take care.

Thanks Athy and to others for the encouraging comments.

Well boat ownership by the end of 2010 is certainly the plan, we do however need to hit a point were we stop spending on hiring to put dosh towards a deposit.... :lol: OR the other option which is to sell up, down size, putting the equity into a boat. We are booked for a 2 week extended break in April from Napton just to cement our conviction long term boating and boat ownership is for us.

Our last two hires (from Ashby) have been about assessing our ability to boat on our own (without a big set of lock wheelers) and out of season.

Napton boats are lovely and the boatyard is very friendly, if you turn up early and the boat is ready then off you go, which of their boatyards are you going from?

Julie

Napton boats are lovely and the boatyard is very friendly, if you turn up early and the boat is ready then off you go, which of their boatyards are you going from?

Julie

Thanks Julie- going from Napton Marina....

Glad you are enjoying your cruise.

Braunston is a notorious black spot for mobile / dongle reception.

When we met you Jane lookes pretty expert at manouvoring the boat into and then in the lock.

If you survive this - think how more pleasureable the Spring / Summer will be.

Take care.

Thanks Ray appreciated...it's in the bag now.... spring and summer is for wimps though........;-)

Well what a beautiful day in the end.

Woke to bright sunshine but no heating (gas needed changing) - gawd was it cold with no radiators.

Popped into Braunston for the papers and then set off against blue sky..........

after about 15 minutes we in the midst of a pretty grim snow storm - toyed with the idea of pulling over and sitting it out but decided to press on and after about 15 minutes it cleared and we've had bright blue sky and sun all the way to Newbold-on-Avon.

Even managed to do some ice breaking in the Barby Straight - well it was very very patchy and only a very very thin crust but enough to make that distinctive cracking sound as you passed through.

We have got a fuller sense today about being careful with your available resources after needing to change the gas and flattening the domestic batteries with the lights TV/Laptop and inverter on last night.

Passed back through Hillmorton locks without a hitch and moored up now with Jan preparing Chicken Tika Masala.

PS if anybody at Vodafone thinks their internet service via. one of their dongle is satisfactory they are avin' a larf :lol:

You missed out by not visiting The Bistro at Hillmorton. Good food and an interesting place.

Sue

Broke our way out of pretty thin crust of ice this morning to get under way underneath bright blue skies again. Still very very cold though.

Encountered further several long sections/patches of ice which after Stretton stop had already been broken through by another boat so passage was easy.

Only once did I think we might have to give up and stop and that was at Walton's bridge (No 42) where it was very briefly thick enough to briefly dictate the direction of the boat as I approached the bridge.

Most of the rest of it was just a very thin crust.

Arrived at our intended destination (Hawkesbury) at lunchtime and easily bagged a mooring. Very few boats on the move and only seen one other hire on the move all day.

Lunch in the Greyhound was very nice and the fire very welcome.

Have really enjoyed the North Oxford, very interesting spotting the entrances to the 'dead sections' that formed it's original route prior to being shortened with cuttings and the tunnel at Newbold.

So it will be a leisurely cruise back up past Hinkley tomorrow ready for the short hop to drop the boat off on Saturday :(

Depending on the weather/time/ice we might turn and pop down to Coventry basin or up past Nuneaton. We'll see how things pan out.

I'll post some pics when I get home for anybody who is interested. (Not doing it from the boat using the dongle - my life just ain't long enough!!)

You missed out by not visiting The Bistro at Hillmorton. Good food and an interesting place.

Sue

Hi Sue - noticed it but couldn't swear to it being open at the time passed, could be wrong as we didn't particularly thoroughly check.

We'll know for next time though.

Of those two, the run through Nuneaton is perhaps preferable, the town itself is an 'ole but the surroundings are surprisingly rural and there is a splendid old BW depot at Hartshill (with care you can turn round in its entrance). You can play games like "Spot the Griff Colliery Arm" and "What's the boat company at Boot Wharf called this week?" as well.