• Seriously extracting the proverbial
  3. 3. Whaley Bridge, Marple, Congleton, Kidsgrove, Macclesfield

• Perfectly OK
    • OK by me, but I suspect BW would object
    • BW won't object, but it is rather cheeky
    • Seriously extracting the proverbial

Featured Posts

Late to the party as ever...

We pay for a mooring. It's a real one as well, pontoon and a fence and everything. However it's in a poor location so we tend to spend a lot of time out in the sticks.

With my long hair and Bp's dreads people often assume we don't pay our dues however that is far from the case. I wonder how we fit in?

I ask in part as I know a few folk on the peak forest and macc who have moorings .but.tend to potter as we do and complain of the tarry brushes that some folk wave.around.

Just wondering...

Surely a forum is for posting Allan, so dont just sit there get posting.... :lol:

You may well be right so here goes!

In another poll 42% of those that could be bothered to vote clicked on

There is nothing more to say, but if people want to argue, who am I to stop them

I don't think this is true! Earlier this year a government department made a ruling that will require local authorities to consider some CC'ers as "travellers" under the 2004 Housing Act as they are nomads. A news article may be published in narrowboatworld very shortly.

This should have an impact on local mooring strategies as L.A's will have to take into consideration the needs of some boaters without a home mooring.

In theory, it should lead to the provision of further places where one can moor for 14 days even if it means that dredging and piling has to take place. This should reduce pressure on visitor moorings in some areas.

However, I suspect the label of "travellers" will simply reinforce the views of a few bigots who would wish to ethnically cleanse the waterways of all CC'ers due to the actions of a very small minority.

The fence is teetering as I sit on it!

***** Edited to say the narrowboatworld article is here

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

To be honest I've had more problems with the retired boaters who stop at 1pm and bag the best moorings than with non-moving bona fides. Perhaps we should make it a condition that no one is allowed to stop for the day before 7pm :lol:

Last season i was able to keep going till 3pm before having to moore up for a rest,this season i may have to moore up at 2pm. When i cant carry on after 1pm,i will sell my boat and get out of your way,i didnt realise i was being such a pain to other boaters,i must tell my other half, she will be mortified.

Last season i was able to keep going till 3pm before having to moore up for a rest,this season i may have to moore up at 2pm. When i cant carry on after 1pm,i will sell my boat and get out of your way,i didnt realise i was being such a pain to other boaters,i must tell my other half, she will be mortified.

Theres no logic to Magpies comments if you fail to stop early then the mooring you would have taken will be vacant for some one else and the one they would have taken will then be available for you ,or someone else its not a case of musical chairs where someone has nowhere to moor at all unless someone is constantly on the lookout for theideal mooring spot, but I would think anyone would be hard pressed to hit on lucky for the ideal mooring everyday..... :lol: Keep at it.. :lol:

Theres no logic to Magpies comments if you fail to stop early then the mooring you would have taken will be vacant for some one else and the one they would have taken will then be available for you ,or someone else its not a case of musical chairs where someone has nowhere to moor at all unless someone is constantly on the lookout for theideal mooring spot, but I would think anyone would be hard pressed to hit on lucky for the ideal mooring everyday..... :lol: Keep at it.. :lol:

There wasn't supposed to be any logic! Other than, I'd like to more there, bugger, someone else already has...

:lol: What always astonishes me with over ninety percent of boaters is their apparent want to moor up in a great long line of other boaters in so called mooring hot spots. The old girl and myself simply pull up well before or after these alloted mooring locations all by ourselves there are still many many miles of free space on most of the system..why do so many wish to be in a floating caravan park........ :lol:

:lol: What always astonishes me with over ninety percent of boaters is their apparent want to moor up in a great long line of other boaters in so called mooring hot spots. The old girl and myself simply pull up well before or after these alloted mooring locations all by ourselves there are still many many miles of free space on most of the system..why do so many wish to be in a floating caravan park........ :lol:

Its sometimes nice to be sociable though :lol:

Well our favourite moorings on the G and S are near Splatt Bridge, fine view over the estuary, and but a short walk into Frampton, and Gilgol Brook. At Splatt, there are permanent moorings on the other side, but few choose to moor on the "towpath" side. I suspect we are the only boat that ever moors at Gilgol

That's coz it's a horrible place and you wouldn't want to, honest :lol:

Hi all,

just got back from a snowy UK - got snowed in twice!

Seems that some of you have found an alternative way to keep warm? :lol::lol:

Happy New Year

I wonder what the calorific value of an incandescent bleeding-heart-liberal is....

There has been much heated discussion about what constitutes a continuous cruiser, and whether certain pattern of use are legitimate.

So, let us cut to the question, and see whether people thing some hypothetical cruising patterns are OK.

The examples are local to me, because they were easier to dream up, but people from elsewhere can easily look them up!

In every case, the moorings given will allow the boater to be at Manchester Picadilly using a train that takes less than an hour, and is within 15 minutes walk of the train station.

In each case, the boater moors for two weeks at each location before moving on, and after two weeks at the last location returns to the first. The pattern repeats for ever

why are you so worried about what others are doing? you need to get a hobby or something to fill the time

why are you so worried about what others are doing? you need to get a hobby or something to fill the time

Why are you so worried about what I concern myself with? You need to get a hobby or something to fill the time.

Why are you so worried about what I concern myself with? You need to get a hobby or something to fill the time.

Dave

You will always be my hero for your stand on the "boater on the board" issue.

However, bearing in mind this topic, I would suggest that the debate has moved on:-)

As the person that resurrected this topic with two polls, I am sure you would want to contribute.

Dave

You will always be my hero for your stand on the "boater on the board" issue.

However, bearing in mind this topic, I would suggest that the debate has moved on:-)

As the person that resurrected this topic with two polls, I am sure you would want to contribute.

Indeed I will wish to contribute on that subject.

However, rest assured that I can manage the workload of contributing to multiple threads