Taurus

Liam

Featured Posts

Does anybody have any pictures of the Ex Midlands & Coast, Fellows Morton & Clayton Butty TAURUS which passed into the BTC carrying fleet upon nationalisation where it was renamed to TURTLE? I've heard its based on the Shroppie and has been fully converted.

Thanks

Hi Carl,

Since posting the above, I've now found out that it was the old Taurus of the Snipe and Taurus, but was since replaced by a Little Woolwich butty renamed to Taurus... at around this time last year it was also still on the Shroppie somewhere about the Norbury area my informant seems to remember.

It was converted into a hotel boat by Tooleys, iirc, and replaced in the 90s by a new boat, to become a liveaboard, on the Shroppie.

It was still there last time I was up that way, about 6 years ago

No, it was converted into a Hotel Boat by Inland Waterway Holiday Cruises Ltd., at Preston Brook in, IIRC, 1973. Replaced in that job by the small Woolwich butty Crater (renamed Taurus) in the late 1980s (or maybe early '90s, I should remember as we put the cabin on here but would need to think deeply to come up with the year)

Tim

Does anybody have any pictures of the Ex Midlands & Coast, Fellows Morton & Clayton Butty TAURUS which passed into the BTC carrying fleet upon nationalisation where it was renamed to TURTLE? I've heard its based on the Shroppie and has been fully converted.

Thanks

What sort of pics are you after?

I'll have some, somewhere, from her Hotel Boat days.

Tim

Hi Tim,

Just interested to see what the boat looks like really.

Thanks

A Joshers butty with wooden hotel boat style conversion, with external wooden windows :lol: (or was when I last saw it)

I'll see what I can find later.

Tim

It was originally built in 1927 by Yarwoods for Midlands & Coast.. just interested to see the style of hull used for M&C, and how much it differed from other companies whose boats were built by Yarwoods, if at all?

It was originally built in 1927 by Yarwoods for Midlands & Coast.. just interested to see the style of hull used for M&C, and how much it differed from other companies whose boats were built by Yarwoods, if at all?

Very much the same as a Joshers boat of the period, someone will probably come up with a difference though :lol:

Tim

I think it was Taurus we saw in the woods just to the south of High Offley, it's been there the last few times we passed that way, the most recent being about 6 months ago. It's a nice off-side mooring there, although possibly rather gloomy amongst the trees.

I think this is a picture of Taurus there in 2007, but I suppose you're going to say it doesn't really show what the boat looks like, it just shows how their cat was keeping warm against the chimney. Hmm, I suppose you could be right ....

4288207552_43e6d612b5_o.jpg

Been having a bad day (incompetent DHL delivery drivers, uncontrolled dogs trying to kill chickens which ran off into the woods & hid, just for a start), so decided to look for pics now the day didn't seem likely to improve and lead to tremendous productitvity :lol:

It didn't, no mask for the right slide size on the scanner, computer froze so I lost the scans I'd done, etc etc.,

so here's one scan before I lose some more:-

image0-2-1.jpg

I'll add a couple more if I eventually get there!

Tim

i have pictures of Taurus in late 1983 when i was crew on her with Derek Fearnley, Annabel Pears and Carolyn (can't recall surname)

certain it is the original as it deffo has the wooden window frames and wooden cabin side tops

unfortunately i never photographed her back cabin side so can't say what reg no was on her.

I think it's quite likely that the open boat in

RiverWeaveratAnderton.jpg

(from the 'Just been sent these' thread) is the Turtle/Taurus, likewise the boat alongside the France-Hayhurst in pic10 from the same sequence.

The motor boat in the first pic is probably the Ibis (Ibex)

Tim

Edited by Timleech

Thanks

Does it have to be Taurus, or will photos of any ex Midlands and Coast Butty do. Someone I know lives on one, and I could easily take a couple of photos if required. It is even turned out in the correct livery.

Edited by David Schweizer

Hi David,

When I was at BCLM in September I had a good look at Diamond which is on the bank and under cover. I was specifically interested in Taurus as it worked with Ariel in the M&C and FMC days.

Taurus

Has just been brought by Peter Wakeham to work alongside BARON on the coal run on the South GU

He brought it down from Braunston early New Year

Chris

VERY early New Year!

It must be what was with Baron when it worked past us southwards at Seabrooke at about one hour before 2010 commenced !

Full moonlight and breaking the light ice that was in the process of forming - quite a sight, and not the first pair to work past that evening either!

We couldn't see a name on it, so thanks for identifying it!