Seventies boating

antarmike

Featured Posts

Always nice to see a Norman.

If anyone is scanning old photos and has Photoshop, try Crtl + L then auto, and also try Ctrl + Shift + B to sort the colour out. It works wonders on photos like the ones above.

You can also use Ctrl+M and then auto. For black & white photos, then alter the curve to give 5% minimum and 95% maximum as that ensures some grey in the sky, and blacks which aren't too solid, giving the best result for printing. You can also adjust the slope of the curve where you need more contrast, such as in the sky or shadow areas.

Well the trite advice to use auto levels and auto curves obviously comes from those who haven't tried it.

The colour balance advice is good, granted but if you need to come on a canal forum for this kind of advice then you shouldn't really invest in £400 worth of image manipulation programme.

Well the trite advice to use auto levels and auto curves obviously comes from those who haven't tried it.

The colour balance advice is good, granted but if you need to come on a canal forum for this kind of advice then you shouldn't really invest in £400 worth of image manipulation programme.

I tried to respond to your PM but your inbox is full!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed looking through these again. Does anyone know if there's a book on the way?

I should probably let Mike speak for himself, but last I knew anything about it I don't believe he has put anything in progress yet.

By a strange coincidence though, Tim and Andy Collier who used to operate coal, camping and tripping boats from Leighton Buzzard in a similar time frame have recently published a book of their memoirs.

"An Affair With The Cut"

Both Mike, and our late brother Pete get mentions in there because they worked closely with the Colliers, and fetched quite a few of their loads of house coal for them, often with their boats rather than the Colliers'. (I hope I have the apostrophe correct for sarah! :o).

Whilst the book is interesting, (to me at least!), I don't think I'm doing Tim and Andy too much disservice by saying that many of the images in it are not that great, or well reproduced. Certainly if Mike could get his well reproduced, there would be more pictorial interest, I believe.

I should probably let Mike speak for himself, but last I knew anything about it I don't believe he has put anything in progress yet.

By a strange coincidence though, Tim and Andy Collier who used to operate coal, camping and tripping boats from Leighton Buzzard in a similar time frame have recently published a book of their memoirs.

"An Affair With The Cut"

Both Mike, and our late brother Pete get mentions in there because they worked closely with the Colliers, and fetched quite a few of their loads of house coal for them, often with their boats rather than the Colliers'. (I hope I have the apostrophe correct for sarah! :o).

Whilst the book is interesting, (to me at least!), I don't think I'm doing Tim and Andy too much disservice by saying that many of the images in it are not that great, or well reproduced. Certainly if Mike could get his well reproduced, there would be more pictorial interest, I believe.

Just received my copy of Tim & andy colliers book "an affair with the cut" great photo shots and lots of interesting reading in store this week, plus it's nice to see our boat Bicester in there. Thanks to Mr fincher for putting the link up.

Darren

• 3 weeks later...

bilster4.jpg

Starting off with the first load I put in Bilster.

Correct me if I am wrong but 1975? year of the drought and extensive canal closures. I could not get to Gopsall wharf, so we brought the coal down from the Midlands in one of Cross's lorries and loaded just below Grove lock, to take back to Leighton Buzzard, where we were selling retail.

bilster1.jpg

with me are younger brother Pete and Miles Tandy

Bilsterfirstload.jpg

Same caption

It was 1976, we'd sold Vesta and used some of the funds to build a family garden swimming pool, the largest narrow boat conversion.It was fun in the sun.

• 10 months later...

I've just spent the last hour revelling in the early 1970s photos and stories in this thread, while listening to vintage reggae from a similar era on my record player. A very well-spent morning!

I do hope that Mr. Antar is making some progress with his proposed book.

I think these photos are of Bilster at Kinver in 1978

Bilster3.jpg

Bilster2.jpg

BilsteratKinverMarch1978.jpg

Carl

Bilster is one of the few Big Woolwich motors that did not get the extra guard below the top bend....and one of the few that didn't get the headlamp moved to the middle....yes that is Bilster.

Edited by antarmike

I've just spent the last hour revelling in the early 1970s photos and stories in this thread,.... A very well-spent morning!

An evening for, but a very enjoyable past few hours. Missed the thread the first time round but thankyou indeed for posting this on our forum.

Daniel

This thread is such a joy to read... Like eavesdropping on a fascinating conversation, but with pictures too.

• 3 months later...

bilster4.jpg

Starting off with the first load I put in Bilster.

Correct me if I am wrong but 1975? year of the drought and extensive canal closures. I could not get to Gopsall wharf, so we brought the coal down from the Midlands in one of Cross's lorries and loaded just below Grove lock, to take back to Leighton Buzzard, where we were selling retail.

bilster1.jpg

with me are younger brother Pete and Miles Tandy

Bilsterfirstload.jpg

Same caption

Dead Elm trees in the background of many of your photos. A real taste of the '70s, such as shame in many ways.

Thanks for putting up these pics, very enjoyable.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Brilliant thread. My introuction to canals was in July 1973, with a mixed venture scout unit, who hired two camping boats from UCC at Braunston.

Despite the limitations imposed by the scout leaders in enjoyed it so much I organised a similar trip with friends in the October of the following year.

Unfortunately I have lost my photos from those holidays, but thanks to this thread I can use these images to reminice.

Thanks Mr Antar and all othes who have posted images from this era