Seventies boating

antarmike

Featured Posts

.. was tendered for sale in the early part of 1963 when it passed to F.B. Lycett, Willenhall.

Aaah - Barry Lycett. Another name from the past. We loaded DS ("dirty smoke", for the uninitiated) at his yard a couple of times. Even typing the letters DS brings back the intoxicating smell of the dense yellow smoke (cough, cough). Oh, the good old days.

As I understand it the 'brass' wheel on Bilster is thought to have been cast in some other alloy, bronze, gunmetal, rather than brass. The pattern used was the original wheel from the 'Nuneaton'. This wheel was known to be still on the Bilster in august 1997, but was later removed by the then owner before the boat was sold on and is thought to have then been fitted to his new 'noddy' boat, later destroyed in a fire.

The Nuneaton original from which it was cast was subsequently sold through Andy Boucher and fitted to the GU 'Capricorn', currently owned by forum member Paul H.

I use the term brass because I know everyone will understand it. Being an engineer myself, from the colour I would have said it was gunmetal.

Ah, but if you are right, then the current owner of the Bainton/"Berkhampstead" combination would not after all have that Holy Grail of an original GUCCCo pairing, would they ? I can't see them being in a hurry to admit that what they really have is "Ayr" and that "Berkhampstead" is no more, (except in the unlikely event they ever get it sign-written, and will be charged by the letter!).

Someone, (Warrior Woman, I think), asked about known innacuracies in "The George and the Mary".

In my (red cover!) edition, butty number 234 is listed as "BERKHAMSTED", which is how the town has generally been known since well before these boats were built. However in it's BW days the boat actually carried the name "BERKHAMPSTEAD", a spelling that had fallen largely out of use long before it was built.....

Berkhampstead.jpg

I see Mike has gone for a version that compromises between the two!

Earlier in this thread, I posted a picture that showed the gasometer before it was demolised, I reckon it was taken down in about 1985.

When the gas works was redevoloped they took down the wrought iron gates on Billet Lane. What did these gates have wrought into the design? "BERKHAMPSTEAD GAS WORKS"! So you could still find the old spelling blantantly displayed in the 80's.

Bilsterangelgasometer.jpg

Bilster and Angel pass the gasworks, Pete steers

rentongasworks.jpg

a little further down the gasworks was a favourite place for BWB to leave maintenace boats between job, This is of course Renton

Edited by antarmike

antarmike please publish your photos because they are wonderfull. Have you got any memories of Halsall?

The only real momories I have of Halsall are getting onto the boat one night, jumping onto the roof from the wharf on the Trent, and waking up in the morning and stepping down off the counter onto the same wharf in the morning and finding the Trent in full flood.

I also remeber we were working on a Short boat in Erewash dry dock. The canal eside the dock being quite a curve, we had the back ends tied in, and the bows ell out across the cut.

We took the wooden coamings if the short boat hold, to have steel welded on. (the short boat was being prepared to the gravel traffic on the Soar at Thurmaston?)

We had two long baulks of wood and thought they are worth keeping so we dragged them over to the boats, but had to let the stern go out, and pull the bow in so we could get a suitably small gap between Halsall, and the bamk where we were going to slide the wood over. It was about 9.00 at night , mid February, when we finshed loading, and we all though a cup of coffee was wel deserved so I was sent to make three mugs. In the darkness I walkeed to where the counter should have been, and into a freezing canal. (well the counter had been against the bank for a week and that's were I thought it should still be)!

Aaah - Barry Lycett. Another name from the past. We loaded DS ("dirty smoke", for the uninitiated) at his yard a couple of times. Even typing the letters DS brings back the intoxicating smell of the dense yellow smoke (cough, cough). Oh, the good old days.

Picture of F.B. Lycett Bilster and Angel in Luby on motors? thread.

Picture of F.B. Lycett Bilster and Angel in Luby on motors? thread.

Edited by antarmike

Bilster5.jpg

I started a thread on Thames boating by mistake (not quite sure how it happened, this board doesn't work like my normal board hmvf.co.uk )

This was the first post, I have now found missing photographs , and seing as the story includes Oxford cut, and lower GU ill abaandon that thread and put it all here.

Remember the cupboard/table. Here is how it fitted in Bilster

Cabin.jpg

Can I just confirm here that BILSTER was chartered by the G.W.R. from the Grand Union Canal Company (Hatton Depot) rather than the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. for the above trip.

BILSTER had been sold by the G.U.C.C.Co. Ltd. in November 1945 to the G.U.C.Co. for use as a maintenance boat, although period documents state that it was already on hire to them earlier in that year. BILSTER passed to 'British Waterways' in 1948 and was tendered for sale in the early part of 1963 when it passed to F.B. Lycett, Willenhall.

Oh dear! One "c" too many! I'm sorry for the slip-up. I apologise.

How did I come to be on the Thames? Well, I had hired Bilster to Ian Sly for a year and collected it back from Braunstone, I believe. One of the tunnels was shut agian so the only way back was Oxford/ Thame G.U. I ad to wait for Napton stoppage to reopen, and I was first boat south.

All went ell until one lock where I stopped dead enetering the lock and the tiller was snatched out of my hand. The bottom stop plank and been left in and as I entered the lock, it came free at one end, floated up and jammed behind my propellor, and ahead of the rudder, on end still in the stop plank groove.

The shock bend the rudder. As I ahd it on the bank sledge hammering it staright, the thread that hold the Rams haed on broke off. I got down to the next BWB yard, and told the section inspector what had happened, and asked him if I could borrow a welder, because the Rams haed was only jammed on. He denied all responsibility until I dragged the battered plank, with number 1 carved in it out of my hold, and we walked to his neartly stacked pile in the yard, to find numbers 2 to 5!

He let me use his welder for free after that. ( I had Apsley section "mad" Ian Tyler with me and he backed up my unbelieveable story)

Why Mad? well he is on a weeks holiday from the cut and he is oiling paddles on the Oxford!

ianoilsup.jpg

Somerton deep, not much oil pressure!

somertondeep.jpg

(edit this piccy is in the wrong part of the story because I should be going downnot up!)

propersomerton.jpg

That's better, edit ends.

On the way down the Oxford I stopped and bought a couple of ton of coal, and headed onto the Isis. and down onto the Thames.

Edited by antarmike

However I had never been on the Thames, it was in full flood, and arriving at the first lock, the keeper asked if I had been on the river like this before. He said he wouldn't let me on the river otherwise (I lied and said yes) He did not know all I had was a road atlas that showed some of the locks!

Anyway it was a very hairy run down the river, paying tolls on the coal I had bought, I went as a carrying boat, and the tolls rounded up to 50p (the minimum charge)

I was finally locking down Tedington, when the lockie told me that Brentford was closed above the Half tide lock, and with a laugh he said I hadn't time to get to Limehouse, so I'll have to ride a tide on the river. I asked him to let me go back up and I wait to the next tide above Teddington.

He said for 50p I was only going through each lock once!

So we opted to go off at Brentford and spend the night above the half tide lock until the morning

teddington.jpg

Next morning was out on the river and wait on St catherines dock till the tide turned.

bowTrader.jpg

being passed by the Bow Trader, sister to Bow Belle the sand barge that sunk the Marchioness.

Coming off at limehouse, I stopped briefly in London, tied alonside Duke.

duke.jpg

I set of north to collect Lyra, which was to be delivered to her new owner at Bedworth. I came south again off the GU in the Company of Ian and Lucy.

We had taken of Lyra's rotten Cabin and got as far as buying steel for the new one, On reaching Teddington, I this time paid 50p tolls as a tug, and paid 50p toll on the steel lyiong in Lyra's hold (again rounded up to minimum charge.)

ianlucyBilsterlyra.jpg

ianlucyBilsterlyra2.jpg

Leaving the Thames at Isis? I delivered Lyra to Bedworth, then turned round and Headed for the Cowroast via the Thames again.

isis.jpg

This time I uncovered the coal, I hid under a tarp for the upriver run with Lyra, and paid 50p tolls on the same coal, for another downriver run.

And that is how you do three full trips up and down the Thames for £2.00!

Edited by antarmike

And without embarassing big Bro (Alan Fincher) he he is stood on Angels roof, with typical 70's hair

FincherFamily.jpg

FincherFamily2.jpg

Angel steered by Kid Brother Pete, also on Angel with Alan is Pam Fincher.

And to prove I can cadge a ride too,

I took this from one of Tam and Di's butties, I believe, excuse memory, its Jason steering Stamford???

TamandDi.jpg

Yes that is Jason

Ian's a good lad! He got his 35 year handshake last November ('08 that is), lives aboard Sentinel at Bulbourne with wife Tina in case you didn't know, but grapevine being what it is you probably do!

Derek

iansoilcan.jpg

Ian loved his Oil can!

Duke2.jpg

A royalty is a lot bigger than a Town class! (for Duke in an earlier post read Prince) sorry

onthetidal.jpg

and the Tidal Thames is a lot wider than the Oxford

Bilster after I sold her to Ian Sly, I visited her a couple of time at warwickshire fly boat co.

slybilster2.jpg

oops thats not Bilster! Try this one...

slybilster1.jpg

AA combo belonged to guy with ian and Lucy, just easier to get it into Bilster than unsheet either of them

slybilster4.jpg

add your own tags all WFBCo

slybilster3.jpg

slybilster5.jpg

slybilster6.jpg

slybilster7.jpg

slybilster8.jpg

Iam struggling with the boat outside Bingley, looks like a Northwich rivetted engine room, and although replated, looks like a Woolwich counter!

Edited by antarmike

That takes me back! you obviously visited the WFBCo when the tide was out, we had awful problems with the water level in those days, with shop lock being deeper than 'the eight'

slybilster2.jpg

oops thats not Bilster!

David Gunby's Barrow, on the outside of Cheam

slybilster8.jpg

Iam struggling with the boat outside Bingley, looks like a Northwich rivetted engine room, and although replated, looks like a Woolwich counter

My boats, the motor is Greenock. I had obviously sorted and fitted the cabin by then, and judging by the height of the counter was probably working on the engine (PD2) prior to installing it. I would date that at 1984, the push chair is for my Daughter, Catherine, she's been teaching for three years now.

I am seriously concidereing the possibility of publishing these photographs in book form. I wish to make it clear that I retain copyright on all the photographs I have posted ot may yet post on this forum. But I am going back to look at the forum terms and conditions to see the basis this forum runs before further posts. Hope to be in the position to post some more shortly.

I am seriously concidereing the possibility of publishing these photographs in book form. I wish to make it clear that I retain copyright on all the photographs I have posted ot may yet post on this forum. But I am going back to look at the forum terms and conditions to see the basis this forum runs before further posts. Hope to be in the position to post some more shortly.

I'm glad you are considering that Mike. Some of the black and whites are pure art - Hulton Picture Library quality.

Just a query on the cabin shot inside Bilster - Would there have been a Torgem beside the cooker in there?

Little marvels they were.

Derek

This is wonderful stuff!

My first contact with the cut was camping with a scout troop on Elstree and Lyra. I think it was probably summer 1973. Andrew Collier was in charge with Miles assisting; I imagine that was Miles Tandy who also appears in these pictures? I think it must've been Gopsall Wharf we started from and certainly finished at Leighton Buzzard.

Pity I was too young/uninitiated to know quite what I was seeing. Watching those two guys work a pair, seemingly without effort, was impressive even to my ignorant eyes. I don't quite recall how they got round at Sutton Stop but I don't think there was any need to tack back & forth (wish I could say the same for taking our 55 footer round)! Nor do I remember how they did Hillmorton, though I think I have a vague memory of Lyra being cast off on the approach to the bottom lock & Miles steering her straight in - or is that just wishful thinking? I do remember I distinguished myself by falling in :lol:

It took a long time but the seed planted on that trip did bear fruit in the end; a lot to be grateful for! And wonderful to have memories stirred like this!

somertondeep.jpg

Damn,

I can see that really rather nice hand wound Klaxon that I donated to you in exchange for making a bracket for one of the others I had acquired.

Sad to say, many years ago, after carting the remaining pair around from one loft to another, I decided to let them go, and sold them for nigh on bugger all at a car boot sale.

Along with two very nicely made, albeit still unpainted, water cans.

At the time I thought "there really is no way in the world I'll ever have another canal boat......"

I've still got a house full of junk, (Eddystone 888 Amateur Bands valved radio receiver, anybody ? :lol: ), but never seem to make the right call about what to get rid of.

Edited by alan_fincher

This is wonderful stuff!

My first contact with the cut was camping with a scout troop on Elstree and Lyra. I think it was probably summer 1973. Andrew Collier was in charge with Miles assisting; I imagine that was Miles Tandy who also appears in these pictures?

Published elsewhere on the forum,but youmight then like to see Elstree and Lyra in camping guise.

Picture at Cow Roast winding hole, heading South, probably also around 1973,I think....

Lyra_at_Cow_Roast.jpg

Zen_026_021_CowRoast_Elstree_and_Ly.jpg

Note that with the butty on cross straps,it doesn't really need a steerer at times like this.

Edited by alan_fincher

They are still your photos - but if you are worried about others helping themselves, you could consider watermarking them with your name and copyright, do a Google, lots of advice on how to watermark your photos.

Can I put my name down for your book? :lol: