Seventies boating

antarmike

Featured Posts

ara.jpg

Someone will have to remind me, which motor was working with Ara in the seventies, I remeber it as being converted star class but is my memory correct 40 years later. Seen here visiting at Leighton, beyond is Bicester.

I believe the motor was converted, and hotel boating, and Ara was extra bunks?

mikron.jpg

also lost in the mists of time the names of these pair, travelling home to the Mikron thetare company, A mobile theatre trying to keep the tradition of working boating alive, and telling the stories of the boaters. (could be totally wrong about this one, it was long ago!)

finchermeetsmurrell.jpg

Bilster and Angel head north to load coal at Gopsell Wharf and meet Tam and Di coming south loaded.

The grapevine had told me that they were on their way down, so I had the camera ready.

Edited by antarmike

Someone will have to remind me, which motor was working with Ara in the seventies, I remeber it as being converted star class but is my memory correct 40 years later. Seen here visiting at Leighton, beyond is Bicester.

I believe the motor was converted, and hotel boating, and Ara was extra bunks?

Yes your brain is still working well, it's PHOBOS

also lost in the mists of time the names of these pair, travelling home to the Mikron thetare company, A mobile theatre trying to keep the tradition of working boating alive, and telling the stories of the boaters. (could be totally wrong about this one, it was long ago!)

NAUTILUS & FAZELEY carrying Mikron Theatre

-still going today on their own boat TYSELEY.

Paul H

And without embarrassing big Bro (Alan Fincher) he he is stood on Angels roof, with typical 70's hair

FincherFamily.jpg

Blimey Mike! My first reaction was "no that's not me", not because I wanted to deny the hair, but more because I can hardly ever having remembered hitching a lift on Bilter and Angel.

(I have memories of coming south with coal to Leighton on Angel, with Pete, but that was behind Elstree, for certain, and it was a pig of a day, not a nice one like here.

However the next picture is clearly me, (and the hair mine!). For explanation to those who know me know, Pam was my first wife,still a good friend that we see from time to time. I doubt we were actually yet married here, though ?

FincherFamily2.jpg

Angel steered by Kid Brother Pete, also on Angel with Alan is Pam Fincher.

And to prove I can cadge a ride too,

I took this from one of Tam and Di's butties, I believe, excuse memory, its Jason steering Stamford???

TamandDi.jpg

That picture is Cook's Wharf, immediately North of Dunstable & District Boat Club, who's sign appears. Mike like me will remember the masses of Dawncradt & Nautilus boats, with names like 'Jolly Heron', "captained", by gents in nautical caps, and with wives wearing neat white cotton gloves when handling ropes, and (rarely), windlasses. Lines of pennants too of course - think Eric Sykes in "The Bargee" for a mental picture. There is still a small amount of "Tuppaware" at DDBC, but these days, like most places, even here more than 90% of boats are steel. The mooring we have just taken up didn't exist back then, and is on pontoon moorings in a more recently dredged basin. My guess is that the site is more or less dead left of the butty.

Also the boat you are passing is, I guess, the original "Grebe" trip boat operating from Cook's Wharf, and which still gives it's name to the trip boat operation still there. Forummember "Ray" steers for them, but on rather different boats these days. Another link here is that when I and first wife married,our wedding reception was on the original Grebe. (Yes, it was a Springer!).

Edited by alan_fincher

Arcusactis2.jpg

Unfortunaely I only have a few pictures of Arcus and Actis. This will be about 1971. Later I started to work for Threefellows carrying, in the hope of getting the lime juice run, but instead they stuck me on the River Trent.

Small point of pedantry,if nobody else has picked uo it.

The motor here is "Arcas", not "Arcus".

Post Lime Juice, BW sadly cut this boat to make a maintenance tug of circa 40 feet. Today, it is still moored at the BW maintenance yard at Marsworth, which is the subject of the controversial planning application. It's not so savaged that it will not again one day make a good boat, but I'm not sure if it has ever come up as a subject of a "heritage" disposal by BW. (Renton, that was there has now gone this route, I believe ?).

Arcas has a further feature that look interesting to me in history terms. It is ballasted at the back end of it's hold with 3 massive cube shaped weights, each labelled as 10 cwt. (i.e. half an imperial ton). These are elaborate, bearing plaques with GJJCo on each. I'm assuming, but don't know, that they must once have been accurate weights used when drawing up gauging sheets for carrying boats. Can anybody confirm please ?

(I wish I had taken a picture of current day Arcas now, but didn't know Mike was going topost old pictures of it).

Blimey Mike! My first reaction was "no that's not me", not because I wanted to deny the hair, but more because I can hardly ever having remembered hitching a lift on Bilter and Angel.

(I have memories of coming south with coal to Leighton on Angel, with Pete, but that was behind Elstree, for certain, and it was a pig of a day, not a nice one like here.

However the next picture is clearly me, (and the hair mine!). For explanation to those who know me know, Pam was my first wife,still a good friend that we see from time to time. I doubt we were actually yet married here, though ?

That picture is Cook's Wharf, immediately North of Dunstable & District Boat Club, who's sign appears. Mike like me will remember the masses of Dawncradt & Nautilus boats, with names like 'Jolly Heron', "captained", by gents in nautical caps, and with wives wearing neat white cotton gloves when handling ropes, and (rarely), windlasses. Lines of pennants too of course - think Eric Sykes in "The Bargee" for a mental picture. There is still a small amount of "Tuppaware" at DDBC, but these days, like most places, even here more than 90% of boats are steel. The mooring we have just taken up didn't exist back then, and is on pontoon moorings in a more recently dredged basin. My guess is that the site is more or less dead left of the butty.

Also the boat you are passing is, I guess, the original "Grebe" trip boat operating from Cook's Wharf, and which still gives it's name to the trip boat operation still there. Forummember "Ray" steers for them, but on rather different boats these days. Another link here is that when I and first wife married,our wedding reception was on the original Grebe. (Yes, it was a Springer!).

And I worked for a summer with Grebe, daytripping! The Grebe I steered had a cigarette start Sabb diesel, Which one would that be?

I am wondering if the butty is actually one of Murrell's, I am starting to think it is Lyra.

northwichbaulk.jpg

Lyra with one of Tam and Di's Big Northwich's, no sign of my boat. I am starting to think I had gone to steer Lyra, and Jason was with Stamford? Help my memory again, which of Tam's motors ran with a baulk, not a cratch board?

Edited by antarmike

peteBilsrerCowroast.jpg

The only phot I can find of Bilster's original counter. I had bought Bilster earlier that week, and was moving her up from Hunton Bridge, to Leighton, but we had found that when moving the counter plate was leaking. The plan quicly chaged to take her on up to Braunstone, where Balliol Fowden, was going to replate the counter plate. At the time he was working from the drudock, not the slipway. He found the counter plate had been bodged with an overplating, with extremely poor welding. The decision was made that the whole counter was in a bad state, and the best plan was to completely cut off the counter nad go for new.

Kid brother Pete looks suitably pee'd off that Bilster was leaking badly!

This is another area where I have proved my memory has become shot to pieces in the last 30 years.

I actually sat in the White Lion at Maffers last night confidently telling another forum member that I thought you had loaded Bilster despite the colander under the counter. However the first picture you posted, if it's the first big load to go on her, makes far more sense, as clearly the new counter was already on at that stage.

FYI

Bilster is back in Little Venice these days,(still with an extension cabin).

Angel is in good shape,(unconverted), with Aldgate,and often seems to be in the Stoke Bruerne / Braunston areas when we pass.

Elstree is down at (I think) Cassio Bridge.

Lyra - don't know, but we did meet the chap who claimed to have bought it direct from Pete, when it had soggy bottoms,and a "build it yourself" cabin kit, I think. He was on a star butty, (not Lyra), that had been subject of a motor conversion at some stage - which one escapes me, right now.

Cambourne survives converted, often continually cruising close to it's stamping ground in these pictures.

Small point of pedantry,if nobody else has picked uo it.

The motor here is "Arcas", not "Arcus".

Post Lime Juice, BW sadly cut this boat to make a maintenance tug of circa 40 feet. Today, it is still moored at the BW maintenance yard at Marsworth, which is the subject of the controversial planning application. It's not so savaged that it will not again one day make a good boat, but I'm not sure if it has ever come up as a subject of a "heritage" disposal by BW. (Renton, that was there has now gone this route, I believe ?).

Arcas has a further feature that look interesting to me in history terms. It is ballasted at the back end of it's hold with 3 massive cube shaped weights, each labelled as 10 cwt. (i.e. half an imperial ton). These are elaborate, bearing plaques with GJJCo on each. I'm assuming, but don't know, that they must once have been accurate weights used when drawing up gauging sheets for carrying boats. Can anybody confirm please ?

(I wish I had taken a picture of current day Arcas now, but didn't know Mike was going topost old pictures of it).

When I was on BWB there were a lot of gauging weights being used as ballast, so yes, highly likely. Hope to post a scan of Gauging sheet for Bilster in due course, but it is to big to fit scanner, might have to do it in halves.

And names..Yes Arcas, I haven't got "George and Mary" in front of me right now!. Bilster is of course one of GUCCCo's classic naming mistakes, like Cambourne, etc. It should have been Bilston, no such town as Bilster, not even a village! Previous motor on the list is Bicester? I reckon someone read out the list, Bicester, Bilston and still had the last name in his head as the secretary wrote down his mistake!

Edited by antarmike

Help my memory again, which of Tam's motors ran with a baulk, not a cratch board?

Well in this thread Tam said it was Towcester....

Link to Bulk Cratch thread

but I think somewhere else, (can't find it!) he may have said Stamford.

Edited by alan_fincher

elstreetowing1.jpg

Elstree running south loaded, I guess this is the two motor loads we put on at Water Eaton, because I was facing home, and Tim loaded facing Feeny, he had to go and wind, before coming south.

I think I came south as soon as both boats were loaded, and Tim followed on after, pumping out a sunk boat and towing it back, on the way!

elsreetowing2.jpg

Cooling water from R.N. coming from engine room.

leightonbebuggered1.jpg

general view of Leighton, when Tesco store was only a glint in the Cohen/Stockwell eye!

I know recall the story behind this shot, and it is a bit sad., This is packing up and leaving L.B. Tim and Andy Have by now sold Elstree, Kid bro Pete no longer works as a canalman on waterways, but has become lengthsman from Cowroast down to sewerage lock. He is living in the Cowroast lockhouse that went with this job, I have moved up to Cowroast, and have been given a mooring across the mouth of the marina. The Marina went bust during building, and stood excavated for many years but stood dry, without being cut through to the canal.

I was allocated the mooring on the towpath, across what would become in a year or to the entrance.

Peter had bought Lyra from the Colliers, and this photo sees Murrells about to tow it up to join Angel at Cowraost.

The only other boat from the L.B. coal trade is an ex Stewarts and lloyds day boat, the second having already been sold.

Collier Brother poor old Moggy looks on, in which we used to deliver coal, half a ton at a time!!!

Edited by antarmike

leightonbebuggered2.jpg

Leighton Towpath looking south. The monstrosity over the road is the building erected on the filled in Brantom's Wharf.

Whilst tied up like this, I was on the outside one day, as here, Elstree is between Bilster and Angel, which is by the towpath.

I jumped from my plank to my gunwale, onto Elstree's plank, onto Elstree's gunwale, onto Angel's plank, aiming for Angel's gunwale and the towpath, However on the last jump of this "hop, skip and jump, I got it wrong, missed the gunwale with my foot instead I could it on my chest, I bounced back and hit the back of my head on Angel's plank, before falling concussed and winded, in Angel's hold. A week later the doctor told me I had two broken ribs.

Edited by antarmike

lblife2.jpg

Leigton in happier times, Lyra sits with a good load, Motor with part load waterline is again Bicester. I never did a run to get coal with Bicester. its owners were abroad, longterm, and we were baby sitting it, keeping it pumped out, etc, In return they let us use it as a warehouse, and it often had 10 ton or so of bagged coal on , waiting to sell to anyone who turned up on the towpath, with an open carboot.

lblife3.jpg

Lyra from the back end, Angel against the towpath to give Lyra the depth to float.

leightonbebuggered2.jpg

Leighton Towpath looking south. The monstrosity over the road is the building erected on the filled in Brantom's Wharf.

Whilst tied up like this, I was on the outside one day, as here, Elstree is between Bilster and Angel, which is by the towpath.

I jumped from my plank to my gunwale, onto elstree plank, onto Elstree's gunwale, onto Angels plank, aiming for Angels gunwale and the towpath, However on the last jump of this "hop, skip and jump, I got it wrong, missed the gunwale with my foot instead I could it on my chest, I bounced back and hit the back of my head on Angel's plank, before falling concussed and winded, in Angel's hold. A week later the doctor told me I had two broken ribs.

Confession, we fell out with Faulkeners, who had the shop on the bridge. (they reckoned we shouldn't be selling coal. because we were undercutting their bagged coal.)

Things got quite bad at one stage and we didn't help.

When moored a little bit further north on this towpath, you could at 5am on a Sunday morning, throw a stick onto the roof of the buildings and Collier's dog "Ruskin" would run all the way up the towpath, up the slope to the road, run the full length of the corrogated roof (over three boat lengths) to get the stick, run all the way back along the roof, and bring the stick back to me along the towpath, I then threw it back on the roof....

Faulkenrs didn't appreciate the early morning alarm call, and they agreed to stop harassing us If I stopped throwing sticks for the dog early on Sunday morning...

Edited by antarmike

(snip)

And names..Yes Arcas, I haven't got "George and Mary" in front of me right now!. Bilster is of course one of GUCCCo's classic naming mistakes, like Cambourne, etc. It should have been Bilston, no such town as Bilster, not even a village! Previous motor on the list is Bicester? I reckon someone read out the list, Bicester, Bilston and still had the last name in his head as the secretary wrote down his mistake!

I can imagine most of the mis-spelt names that got painted on boats were due to misunderstandings between the spoken word. Bicester is of course pronounced 'Bisster', which is not far off of Bilston, add a bit of dialect, and spelling that wasn't checked, and there's the 'odd' name.

If you've got hundreds of negatives Mike, I would seriously suggest getting them professionally printed for book form. Such records even from the seventies are just too valuable to treat any other way. Everything we took for granted back then has become manna from heaven for archivists, in the same way (though it might not seems it) what we take around us today, will in thirty years time most likely be gone. Some of it we will say good riddance to, but ironically that's exactly what makes things become scarce, and sought after.

Derek

These are not as good as Mike's pics, but are scans from some negatives that may have been his. I don't know why I have them, but I'm sure I didn't take them.

But it permits me to ask a couple of questions, (well he lives a long way away!).

Mike, I had assumed this was Bilster, but the counter looks rather worse than in your picture. The features don't seem to match, so now I'm wondering if it's Bicester ? (Sorry for poor quality- these are negatives, but on a basic A4 flat-bed scanner).

Boats_At_Brantoms.jpg

Also, do you know anything about this run, (Elstree going to load with Angel - later shots show the motor loaded).

I thought I had a memory of what the Colliers looked like, but don't immediately know if this is one of them.

Who is the steerer, please ?

Elstree_and_Angel.jpg

Final question. Do you know who should be giving the negatives back to ?

(Not Pete, obviously. :lol: ).

EDITED to add....

Is that the bloody gear lever sticking several feet out the back door on Elstree - that looks a bit unusual, whatever it is ?

Edited by alan_fincher

These are not as good as Mike's pics, but are scans from some negatives that may have been his. I don't know why I have them, but I'm sure I didn't take them.

But it permits me to ask a couple of questions, (well he lives a long way away!).

Mike, I had assumed this was Bilster, but the counter looks rather worse than in your picture. The features don't seem to match, so now I'm wondering if it's Bicester ? (Sorry for poor quality- these are negatives, but on a basic A4 flat-bed scanner).

Boats_At_Brantoms.jpg

Also, do you know anything about this run, (Elstree going to load with Angel - later shots show the motor loaded).

I thought I had a memory of what the Colliers looked like, but don't immediately know if this is one of them.

Who is the steerer, please ?

Elstree_and_Angel.jpg

Final question. Do you know who should be giving the negatives back to ?

(Not Pete, obviously. :lol: ).

EDITED to add....

Is that the bloody gear lever sticking several feet out the back door on Elstree - that looks a bit unusual, whatever it is ?

I don't recognise the first motor, it is not Bilster, Second photo is Miles Tandy with Elstree. I can't remeber that clearly but I reckon Pete bought Angel from Bedworth. I had nothing to do with bringing it back. I know "dirty" Louise, who had one of Murrells boats for a while, moved Angel for Pete on one occasion. But I would have thought that the "Dirty" Louise days were after Pete first bought Angel.

Yes Long lever I gear mechanism. That will be Elstree's first R.N. This R.N. died. The plug in the top of one piston ( which enters the swirl or swish chamber in the head) came out and got caught at T.D.C. stopping the engine dead. Running at full speed when the engind stopped dead, he flywheel twisted off the crankshaft and ran around the inside of the engine room for a bit doing quite extensive damage. Colliers went to town and bought a brand new R.N. (can you still buy them new? I don't know) When the new engine went in the gear lver was rethought.

Bilster had a Brass gear selecting wheel cast off an original GUCCo National cast Iron one. that I was always very proud of because it polished up a treat.

They are not my negatives.

Edited by antarmike

Second photo is Miles Tandy with Elstree.

Ah, thank goodness for that. I shouldn't know what he looks like, I think, so one less point against failing memory.

Colliers went to town and bought a brand new R.N. (can you still buy them new? I don't know)

Yes you can - they had one running on a trailer at the last Braunston show.

Before you reach for your cheque book, I think I remember the "with gearbox" price at about £19K.

Another party piece at the shows is a boat that has one running on used engine oil, (intentionally - not one of those run-away scenarios!).

I can't believe those were Peter's negatives, as I don't think he ever went in for as much technology as a 35mm camera, did he ?

I think they must have turned up at mum's. A bit of a mystery then - if anyone else thinks they are theirs, tell me what else was on the film (correctly!), and you can have them back. :lol:

EDITED:

I've just looked again at the negatives. The boat tied up at Brantom's with Angel is indeed Bicester.

Edited by alan_fincher

I don't recognise the first motor, it is not Bilster, Second photo is Miles Tandy with Elstree. I can't remeber that clearly but I reckon Pete bought Angel from Bedworth. I had nothing to do with bringing it back. I know "dirty" Louise, who had one of Murrells boats for a while, moved Angel for Pete on one occasion. But I would have thought that the "Dirty" Louise days were after Pete first bought Angel.

Yes Long lever I gear mechanism. That will be Elstree's first R.N. This R.N. died. The plug in the top of one cylinder ( which enters the swirl or swish chamber) came out and got cought at T.D.C. stopping the engine dead. Running at full speed when the engind stopped dead, he flywheel twisted off the crankshaft and ran around the inside of the engine room for a bit doing quite extensive damage. Colliers went to town and bought a brand new R.N. (can you still buy them new? I don't know) When the new engine went in the gear lver was rethought.

Bilster had a Brass gear selecting wheel cast off an original GUCCo National cast Iron one. that I was always very proud of because it polished up a treat.

They are not my negatives.

Miles and Peter did a coal run with Elstree and Angel, I think it was to Atherstone, this is probaly that trip, Angel is still in Oxide, and has not yet got new rudder fitted. On that trip Elstree was not charging, so Miles saved battery whenever they could. Leaving Stoke Bruene in darkness, they used the headlight to get to Bliswort tunnel, then went through the tunnel without a headlight, hoping it would be dawn when they got out the other side, Unfortunatley it was not yet light so Miles carried on without headlamp. Hearing clanging beside him he turned it back on to see the Gayton dredger straight in front of him, and found he was passing mud boats he hadn't seen. Attempting to stop, Miles run out of time, and hit the dredger, bounced Elstree's front end out the water onto the pontoon, it slid across the icy deck until Elstree,s stem hit the back of the Priestman, Pete and Miles struggled to push Elstree off the pontoon, and back into the water.

They left the crime scene before the dredging gang turned up to find skid marks across the deck, and a biggish dent in the dredger!

No one from BWB ever came back to us about this one!

Miles and Peter did a coal run with Elstree and Angel, I think it was to Atherstone, this is probaly that trip, Angel is still in Oxide, and has not yet got new rudder fitted. On that trip Elstree was not charging, so Miles saved battery whenever they could. Leaving Stoke Bruene in darkness, they used the headlight to get to Bliswort tunnel, then went through the tunnel without a headlight, hoping it would be dawn when they got out the other side, Unfortunatley it was not yet light so Miles carried on without headlamp. Hearing clanging beside him he turned it back on to see the Gayton dredger straight in front of him, and found he was passing mud boats he hadn't seen. Attempting to stop, Miles run out of time, and hit the dreder, bgounced Elstree's front end out the water onto the pontoon, it slid across the icy deck until Elstree,s stem hit the back of the Priestman, Pete and Miles struggled to push Elstree off the pontoon, and back into the water.

They left the crime scene before the dredging gang turned up to find skid marks across the deck, and a biggist dent in the dredger!

No one from BWB ever came back to us about this one!

Negatives must be from Collier's Camera, or just possibly, "Mad" Ian, (Ian Tyler)

Edited by antarmike

Good pictures Mike.

In 74/77 I had the cottage at the top end of the Riser at Sweeps Two, and I well remember you giving me a guided tour of Bilster, when she used to lay just below. I'd bought the house off Bill and Kath, the Riser's licencees. Other memories include the model cut system at Cowroast house, accompanied by appropriate "engine" noises provided by both you and Pete! Also, Pete going through all the paperwork, guaging sheets etc. that Waterways were chucking out, and giving me a guaging sheet, dated 1911, for Vulcan, which Keay's were re-building for me at the time. Well remember Collier's Moggie-funny, I thought it was a quarter ton van! Later I steered the Wyvern's tripper for one year-'78 I think.

I owned Bilster for a time in the mid 90s, after that extension had been put on by the previous owner. I never liked that, it was neither fish nor fowl. Still had/has? the good old PD2 in her. I then sold her to the bloke who's still got her I think.

PS. She's still got the brass gearwheel, complete with penny, and the pennies on the footboard!

Best regards to you,

John.

Edited by johnthebridge

My stories are not as good as yours!

Here's a couple more, again poor scans from negatives.

I reckon perhaps Pete had borrowed one of those nasty little £4 Russian "Cosmic" cameras off one of us ? The general quality,and the fact that a light meter doesn't seem to have been available (!) might prove a point.

The first picture shows what parents have to put up with in their garden when sons get into old boats. Is that your handywork, Mike ?

Cratch.jpg

Here's the loading phase of that trip that the previous picture seems to be from. Would that look right for Atherstone, do you think ?

Loading.jpg

Edited by alan_fincher

Gearwheel.jpg

last post tonight, Bilster's brass gear wheel, also in shot two Stewart and Lloyds day boats Collier bought as coal warehouses.

My stories are not as good as yours!

Here's a couple more, again poor scans from negatives.

I reckon perhaps Pete had borrowed one of those nasty little £4 Russian "Cosmic" cameras off one of us ? The general quality,and the fact that a light meter doesn't seem to have been available (!) might prove a point.

The first picture shows what parents have to put up with in their garden when sons get into old boats. Is that your handywork, Mike ?

Cratch.jpg

Here's the loading phase of that trip that the previous picture seems to be from. Would that look right for Atherstone, do you think ?

Loading.jpg

The roses are mine, the diamonds and everything else was pete's.

No that's not Atherstone, That looks like Gopsall Wharf to me but I only did one run to Gopsall myself.

Good pictures Mike.

In 74/77 I had the cottage at the top end of the Riser at Sweeps Two, and I well remember you giving me a guided tour of Bilster, when she used to lay just below. I'd bought the house off Bill and Kath, the Riser's licencees. Other memories include the model cut system at Cowroast house, accompanied by appropriate "engine" noises provided by both you and Pete! Also, Pete going through all the paperwork, guaging sheets etc. that Waterways were chucking out, and giving me a guaging sheet, dated 1911, for Vulcan, which Keay's were re-building for me at the time. Well remember Collier's Moggie-funny, I thought it was a quarter ton van! Later I steered the Wyvern's tripper for one year-'78 I think.

I owned Bilster for a time in the mid 90s, after that extension had been put on by the previous owner. I never liked that, it was neither fish nor fowl. Still had/has? the good old PD2 in her. I then sold her to the bloke who's still got her I think.

PS. She's still got the brass gearwheel, complete with penny, and the pennies on the footboard!

Best regards to you,

John.

Did you have half a small woolwich, up on oildrums, in Birmingham, A stern? Being converted into a fore-end, and having a new counter being built onto it?

I am trying to remember, you, I pretty sure I know you, but again soooo long ago!

Edited by antarmike

Gearwheel.jpg

last post tonight, Bilster's brass gear wheel, also in shot two Stewart and Lloyds day boats Collier bought as coal warehouses.

The roses are mine, the diamonds and everything else was pete's.

No that's not Atherstone, That looks like Gopsall Wharf to me but I only did one run to Goposall myself.

Did you have half a small woolwich, up on oildrums, in Birmingham, A stern? Being converted into a fore-end, and having a new counter being built onto it?

I am trying to remember, you, I pretty sure I know you, but again soooo long ago!

You are correct sir. It was Canis, and she was at Keays, Walsall. I owned the whole thing, but Ken cut her in two, and just before work was due to start I was introduced to Vulcan's owner.....

I sold the two halves, and I think the chap I sold the stern half to still has her, as Canis Major, lying at Stoke.

I think if I get my timeline correct, I don't remember Angel coming to Leighton Buzzard, and don't reckognise early Bicester, because this is at the time I was at Loughborough, leading onto my short and unhappy time with "Three fellows Carrying" I would have been ensconced in their Motor (Halsall???), Living on the Trent at Long Eaton, and working on a L & L short boat in the drydock, at the southern end of the Erewash!

Pete was doing his thing in Leighton. Bilster only came into the equation after I told Threefellows where to stick their job!

Edited by antarmike