Why do they do it ...

Tullz

Featured Posts

Yes, in my opinion anyone who sells their house to buy a brand new narrowboat to live on having never been on one before is doing a very very stupid thing indeed. Fortunately, there is no law against doing something very very stupid.

its not stupid its taking the bull by the horns and going for it life is to short, this way works for some and not for others.

Yes, in my opinion anyone who sells their house to buy a brand new narrowboat to live on having never been on one before is doing a very very stupid thing indeed. Fortunately, there is no law against doing something very very stupid.

Huh Huh...but just suppose for a moment, in your sensible world, what it might feel like to succeed against such odds?

I think anyone who sells their home to make a complete lifestyle change and live solely on a narrow boat without first trying it out at different times of the year and becoming fully conversant with what living afloat is really like, is taking a huge (and in my mind unacceptable) risk. We had planned to sell our house to live aboard but having tried continuous cruising for just over a year we realised that we still needed to keep the house as a base - at least for the time being. We also realised just how expensive the liveaboard lifestyle is - these days we split our time between house and boat and have done so for the last three years. To live aboard permanently would require considerable organisation and discipline and significantly more money to spend on maintenance than we currently earn from our pension.

We have seen disasters at first hand - only last year a boating neighbour who had sold his home and bought a brand new boat had to sell his boat again and move to rented accommodation. He had come to hate life aboard and had spent most of the money that he had made from his house in the local pubs, he had allowed the condition of his boat to deteriorate in the two years that he was on it and in the end he couldn't afford to pay for a licence and mooring fees. When he moved to rented accommodation, the boat was sold with all contents for less than half of what he had paid for it two years earlier - he couldn't get off the boat quick enough. In all the time that he had the boat I doubt if he travelled more than ten miles. He was one of many people who had watched Waterworld and thought that life afloat was some sort of luxurious life of leisure. He didn't feel that way after he had fallen into the canal a few times while walking down a slippery towpath in the middle of Winter. Boating can be very rewarding if you enjoy it but it isn't for everyone.

That sounds erm, unwise, ill considered, less than sensible. Sorry, but whatever the result, a change off lifestyle like that if you really have never been on a narrowboat doesn't make you stupid, but it does mean you are doing a stupid thing.

Same thoughts occured to me, but we all do what appear to others, daft things at times, all I can say to Tanis is 'I wish you the all the very best' [i'm not being sarcastic]

When we first thought of buying a NB we were advised to try it for at least three weeks, we did and we loved it.

Bought our NB last year, had a few 'moments' but you either love it or loath it and we love it. Spent many weeks on it checking out how the plumbing and wiring worked, checking engine & gearbox, sorting the Paloma W/H and in the summer replaced some of the plumbing, stripping out & refurbishing the loo :lol: , fitting new sink and other bits & bobs.

Fell in :lol: and nearly drowned last December carrying a new starter battery along the gunnel, long story, and the C/H pump failed and the boiler nearly blew up, :lol: [hopefully the valve would have vented 1st], plus loads of other happenings.

We spent last Xmas on her and will do again this year, so we are used to the coldish weather whilst being aboard.

Do I have any second thoughts, some, but still looking foreward to eventually moving onboard permanently.

I think anyone who sells their home to make a complete lifestyle change and live solely on a narrow boat without first trying it out at different times of the year and becoming fully conversant with what living afloat is really like, is taking a huge (and in my mind unacceptable) risk.

I guess the point is, what you (or anyone else) considers an unacceptable risk.

Try this: Substitute "buying a new narrowboat to liveaboard" with "getting married".

Some people wait until they are, say, mid-20s, court for a year or more, live together a bit, get married, then have kids and live happily ever after.

Some people get struck by "love at first sight", have a whirlwind romance, marry and live happily ever after.

Some people have a long term relationship, maybe (or maybe not) live together; maybe (or maybe not) have kids, but never get married and still live happily ever after.

Some people try the above, in whatever combination, fall out of love and move on/divorce/bury the partner under the patio :lol:

I've picked a few of the infinite number of permutations. My point is that we're all different, we all make different decisions based on an infinite number of different experiences and character differences, and that is what makes the world such an interesting place.

Of course, some people end up living hard times due to impetuous (sp?) behaviour, but some end up living hard times due to circumstances beyond their control anyway. Everyone makes their own decisions, and those outside may think they know better, but unless they live in that person's shoes they can't.

Declaration: I don't live aboard (although I spend a couple days per week aboard in all weathers), I don't have a brand new boat, and I fall between the categories of married people above.

It never ceases to amaze me as to how naive (subsitute stupid) some people can be.

We are nearin' the end of our two week hire to see if we could cope with livin' on a boat as the winter draws in and with each other in a confined space.

Several folk have said how sensible and then proceed to tell us about couples who sell up lock, stock and hogshead to live on a nb without ever havin' spent more than a day on one, only to discover that they hate it!

We also helped a couple through Bunbury locks on a share boat only to have the wife confide in me that she never wants to do it again (it was their first time out).

So why do they do it? *puzzled look*

We intend to spend another couple of weeks on a semi trad (we're on a trad at the mo) some time in either January or February.

Makes sense to me of tryin' before buyin'; could save a lot of dosh and/or one's marriage!

Tullz

off to put cottage pie in oven!

why stupid,8 years ago I sold my house gave everything away i did not need and brought a boat.And even though i grew up in brum i had never seen a narrowboat,but here i am 8 years later still here and for most of the time its good.I think you have to make a lot of changes that you dont think about in a house,As to the space in a boat dont see the problem just dont have loads of junk.The biggest problem i find is that at times it can be boring if you cant move round for one reason or other.So you think spending a few weeks here and there on a boat makes you less stupid than someone who just thinks sod it and buys one and gets on with it dont think so.As far as i can see you need at least a year or a few differant seasons to know if you like it,its a bit different two weeks in the sun to two weeks of rain everyday or snow or hail and not forgeting the wind,the sun does not always shine on the canals.So good luck to them

One thing's for certain, you need to be organised. If you live your life haphazardly then you are going to get lots of mishaps whether on a boat or in a house. By being organized and realistic and keen to learn you can avoid nearly all the problems associated with boating, but I would add this, being able to think things through and solve probs yourself and not relying too much on others is half the battle. The key I think is becoming familiar with all these probs, it's no good buying a boat and expecting to sit back and enjoy the good life, boat builders don't build boats for full time liveaboard ccers, they build an image to a budget (you don't see them with top boxes for solid fuel and pots of paint etc) That all has to come from you. It's all part of the fun. Getting a kick out of encountering probs and solving them is what you really need.

A bit like the pioneers of old, but with central heating.

We kept our house and put lodgers in it. It gave us somewhere to go last winter when the rayburn failed. It took three months to replace which would have made life impossible if we had to live on the boat. We still have the value of the house to fall back on and it has given us an income. Would I sell it NO.

When we went to Crete we met people who had sold up and gone to live there on the strength of a TV programme. Some would have loved to come back but couldn't afford to.

You make your own decisions and have to live with them but living on a boat is precarious whilst we have the restriction on planning permissions and BW in charge.

Sue

Same thoughts occured to me, but we all do what appear to others, daft things at times, all I can say to Tanis is 'I wish you the all the very best' [i'm not being sarcastic]

When we first thought of buying a NB we were advised to try it for at least three weeks, we did and we loved it.

Bought our NB last year, had a few 'moments' but you either love it or loath it and we love it. Spent many weeks on it checking out how the plumbing and wiring worked, checking engine & gearbox, sorting the Paloma W/H and in the summer replaced some of the plumbing, stripping out & refurbishing the loo :lol: , fitting new sink and other bits & bobs.

Fell in :lol: and nearly drowned last December carrying a new starter battery along the gunnel, long story, and the C/H pump failed and the boiler nearly blew up, :lol: [hopefully the valve would have vented 1st], plus loads of other happenings.

We spent last Xmas on her and will do again this year, so we are used to the coldish weather whilst being aboard.

Do I have any second thoughts, some, but still looking foreward to eventually moving onboard permanently.

We kept our house and put lodgers in it. It gave us somewhere to go last winter when the rayburn failed. It took three months to replace which would have made life impossible if we had to live on the boat. We still have the value of the house to fall back on and it has given us an income. Would I sell it NO.

When we went to Crete we met people who had sold up and gone to live there on the strength of a TV programme. Some would have loved to come back but couldn't afford to.

You make your own decisions and have to live with them but living on a boat is precarious whilst we have the restriction on planning permissions and BW in charge.

Sue

Sue

That sounds erm, unwise, ill considered, less than sensible. Sorry, but whatever the result, a change off lifestyle like that if you really have never been on a narrowboat doesn't make you stupid, but it does mean you are doing a stupid thing.

I'd say it really depends on the person. Some people love change, others find it difficult.

I've had plenty of experience of change. I knew I'd love it and I was right. I wasn't trying to escape one way of life but find another. If you're trying to escape something by changing your life then you only find yourself somewhere else doing something slightly different. The old 'wherever you go, there you are'. But if you're actively looking for change as a positive move then you'll be fine.

And I love camping, which helps.

One thing's for certain, you need to be organised. If you live your life haphazardly then you are going to get lots of mishaps whether on a boat or in a house. By being organized and realistic and keen to learn you can avoid nearly all the problems associated with boating, but I would add this, being able to think things through and solve probs yourself and not relying too much on others is half the battle. The key I think is becoming familiar with all these probs, it's no good buying a boat and expecting to sit back and enjoy the good life, boat builders don't build boats for full time liveaboard ccers, they build an image to a budget (you don't see them with top boxes for solid fuel and pots of paint etc) That all has to come from you. It's all part of the fun. Getting a kick out of encountering probs and solving them is what you really need.

A bit like the pioneers of old, but with central heating.

This is a pretty good point. You have to embrace the fact that things break or go wrong. You have to jump in with both feet and actualkly make the attempt to understand the pile of steel and wood you're living in or you're doomed to failiure.

I knew absolutely nothing about engines, paint, boats, pluming, electrics, heating or carepentry when I moved on. Now I know a little bit more than I did. Which is great as I've been able to fix a few things myself as I go along, diagnose others and keep my paintwork up to scratch without any stress at all. And that's coming from someone who had no engine for a week.

If the idea of having no electricity, heating or toilet for a couple of days terrifies you, then don't buy a boat imo. Otherwise jump right in.

Thanks. ...and I will ask for help when I need to, because I know its out there. Hopefully, in time, I will be able to give some back.

Go Tanis, we moved straight to the boat without a jot of knowledge other than it's wet underneath! This'll be our first winter and we're already loving it. We've leant loads and will continue to do so. We firmly believe that life is too damn short to fret too much and if that makes us stupid then bring it on!

good luck (although I suspect your attitude will see you alright) :lol:

I'd say it really depends on the person. Some people love change, others find it difficult.

I've had plenty of experience of change. I knew I'd love it and I was right. I wasn't trying to escape one way of life but find another. If you're trying to escape something by changing your life then you only find yourself somewhere else doing something slightly different. The old 'wherever you go, there you are'. But if you're actively looking for change as a positive move then you'll be fine.

And I love camping, which helps.

This is a pretty good point. You have to embrace the fact that things break or go wrong. You have to jump in with both feet and actualkly make the attempt to understand the pile of steel and wood you're living in or you're doomed to failiure.

I knew absolutely nothing about engines, paint, boats, pluming, electrics, heating or carepentry when I moved on. Now I know a little bit more than I did. Which is great as I've been able to fix a few things myself as I go along, diagnose others and keep my paintwork up to scratch without any stress at all. And that's coming from someone who had no engine for a week.

If the idea of having no electricity, heating or toilet for a couple of days terrifies you, then don't buy a boat imo. Otherwise jump right in.

Yep, I knew you were destined to love it when I told you the horror story of no water, electricity, gas or lav on Surprise and you seemed to think that was okay. As indeed it was - we still had the Squirrel working ...

By the by PB, do you think Waterways World will want to review Cobbett? My hinges cost 6.5p each from Screwfix and I've painted her myself ... quite badly ...... !

I think the OP point has provided a good debate.

Think of it as a pub, this sort of question gets asked without a blink amongst groups of people.

Just because it's a forum, there is no need to 'av a lttle go at him! :lol:

Mark

Huh Huh...but just suppose for a moment, in your sensible world, what it might feel like to succeed against such odds?

Do you think it praiseworthy to stack the odds against yourself?

I really hope you do succeed against such odds, I just cannot understand why you don't take the sensible option to shorten those odds at (compared to the price of a new boat) a trivial price by hiring for a week. It has been compared to getting married, It may be more like marrying someone you have never met before with a 50/50 chance they may even be the wrong gender let alone someone you can't get on with, or dropping the baby into a hot bath without first checking the temperature. Almost every week someone wins the lottery but it's not a good idea to rely on it.

The very best of luck to you, but in my opinion what you suggest is irresponsible.

(No one has ever before suggested I am in any way "sensible")

Sir Nibble is sensible - local community in protest.

Your local FOCUS team lead by local community activists were today at the forefront of a campaign to fight against this BIG TORY LIE. If you wish to support this campaign, deliver the community newsletter, put up a poster or make a donation please contact your local CAMPAIGN TEAM. DON'T FORGET IT IS A TWO HORSE RACE HERE LD 52% CON34%

Actual figures, guess the constituency

Do you think it praiseworthy to stack the odds against yourself?

I really hope you do succeed against such odds, I just cannot understand why you don't take the sensible option to shorten those odds at (compared to the price of a new boat) a trivial price by hiring for a week. It has been compared to getting married, It may be more like marrying someone you have never met before with a 50/50 chance they may even be the wrong gender let alone someone you can't get on with, or dropping the baby into a hot bath without first checking the temperature. Almost every week someone wins the lottery but it's not a good idea to rely on it.

The very best of luck to you, but in my opinion what you suggest is irresponsible.

(No one has ever before suggested I am in any way "sensible")

I'm even more stoopid than Tanis, first narrow boat I was ever on was the Cat, and she's not even complete. No, I didn't experiment with hiring first, as what would be the point? I may have known nothing about boats and canals but I know myself pretty well and trusted that I would like it and would be able to make a success of it. I can't see how spending a fortnight's holiday in someone else's boat is going to give you an insight into a changing your lifestyle to live on and maintain your own. What are you going to learn? One pump out? One diesel fill? What it's like in one set of weather/temperature conditions? What about all the rest?

More strength to Tanis' elbow. Here's to the "**** it, what's the worst that can happen?" brigade.

The first time I was on a narrowboat overnight was the day I bought one. And I still love it :lol:

Same here, hired a day boat and that was all, we know it'll be rough in the winter, no Tv ect but we have loved everymoment of the last month.

And from what i have learnt about inland waterways too, soooo much differant than the Irish sea!! lol

Sir Nibble is sensible - local community in protest.

Your local FOCUS team lead by local community activists were today at the forefront of a campaign to fight against this BIG TORY LIE. If you wish to support this campaign, deliver the community newsletter, put up a poster or make a donation please contact your local CAMPAIGN TEAM. DON'T FORGET IT IS A TWO HORSE RACE HERE LD 52% CON34%

Actual figures, guess the constituency

Good god! You are Peter Chegwyn and I claim my five pounds!

Re marriage : We met & married within 3 months 40 odd years ago. It worked for us.

Sue

That's ace. Rob and I met and bought a boat together within months and I dearly hope we are still happy together in 40 years' time :lol:

I take great pleasure in the variety of personalities you meet on boats. Some people here are clearly planners and enjoy knowing that they are providing efficiently for every eventuality. Others like to make decisions quicker and based on different things - carping the old diem. Fair play to both, live and let live.

Since moving onto the boat more people than I care to count have said to us "I always wanted to live on a narrowboat". Some of them might have hated it, but they seem more regretful at never having tried it. I can fully understand the impulse to live life to the full and to leap in to exciting new ventures. I wish them all well :lol: