need to find the best way......

mucky

Featured Posts

to get a large motorcycle into the cratch of my boat. i seem to remember a thread witch touched on the subject a while back but would like to know if anyone knows how or has seen it done, i have thought of a few different ways but would appreciate the collective knowledge on this one

bike, cratch to tow path, tow path to cratch

cheers

I think there's various ways of getting a bike on a boat. There was an episode of the Water World series that showed a large bike (?Harley) that "lived" on the front well deck of a narrow boat. They used a modified garage engine crane IRRC. The engine crane was used with its legs removed, but had a spigot fitted to its base. The gunwale was drilled to take the spigotted crane. The boat listed quite a bit during the lifting but it all seemed to work. Not sure if I've described this very clearly but if you can get to see the Water World episode it should all become clear.

sounds good, anyone know where i can see it? mine would need to go to the floor of the cratch which is lower than the water line, but the theory sounds good

So what's the bike ?? :lol: Surely it must be a widebeam too ?

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

I have seen a boat with a large tug deck that has a purpose built turntable on top, with a trough type guide, which has an extension that can be put down to the bank.

The bike is wheeled up the extension and into the trough, and the whole then rotated to face forward, and get it well out of the way of operating the boat.

I thought I had pictures, but can't seem to find them.

It was a pretty large bike, but maybe not as big as a Harley, (I don't do bikes!).

I suspect it only worked though because it had a lowish tug deck.

I have seen a boat with a large tug deck that has a purpose built turntable on top, with a trough type guide, which has an extension that can be put down to the bank.

The bike is wheeled up the extension and into the trough, and the whole then rotated to face forward, and get it well out of the way of operating the boat.

I thought I had pictures, but can't seem to find them.

It was a pretty large bike, but maybe not as big as a Harley, (I don't do bikes!).

I suspect it only worked though because it had a lowish tug deck.

That's the system I'd favour

I think you'd need to be able to take the bike on and off at 45 degrees either side of perpendicular to the boats length. Bikes are pretty hard to turn through a right angle in a small space so an angled approach from either direction would help enormously

I'd want a nice wide platform beside the trough for the wheels too

However the OP doesn't have a tug deck so I think lifting it in out must a solution. I reckon a small hand powered winch capable of lifting half a ton would do it. The derrick and winch would need to be movable to either side.

Alternatively I had thought about storing the bike in the cratch on a hydraulic bike lift with a pivot built in to allow the bike to be wheeled onto a wide gangplank

That's the system I'd favour

I think you'd need to be able to take the bike on and off at 45 degrees either side of perpendicular to the boats length. Bikes are pretty hard to turn through a right angle in a small space so an angled approach from either direction would help enormously

I'd want a nice wide platform beside the trough for the wheels too

However the OP doesn't have a tug deck so I think lifting it in out must a solution. I reckon a small hand powered winch capable of lifting half a ton would do it. The derrick and winch would need to be movable to either side.

Alternatively I had thought about storing the bike in the cratch on a hydraulic bike lift with a pivot built in to allow the bike to be wheeled onto a wide gangplank

Have a look at 'Swing Lift' electric hoists

http://www.pennyhydraulics.com/products/ve...mountcrane.html

The thing to watch is the fixed height, they're quite a heavy lump so you might need another hoist to lift it out if too tall!

Tim

Looks nice but I suspect big, heavy and incorporating electrics and hydraulics. More machinery to maintain and go wrong as well as being initially expensive.

Those reasons are why I would favour a small manually operated system. Easier to switch from side to side and cheaper to buy and maintain.

Edited to remove double post - I had wondered how people do that.......now I know

Edited by Bazza2

Looks nice but I suspect big, heavy and incorporating electrics and hydraulics. More machinery to maintain and go wrong as well as being initially expensive.

Electric only, just a simple 12V winch. They come in several sizes and styles, there might be one which will do the job.

How heavy is the bike, that's a fundamental question if you're aiming to lift it?

They come up used on ebay quite often, but you need to be sure it's the right model for what you want.

Tim

Saw this one a while back, not quite in the cratch though.

May2009018.jpg

Les

I have seen that boat. I think she was down at Langley Mill three or four years ago. She has a fascinating history which I have entirely forgotten. Perhaps someone could remind me?

to get a large motorcycle into the cratch of my boat. i seem to remember a thread witch touched on the subject a while back but would like to know if anyone knows how or has seen it done, i have thought of a few different ways but would appreciate the collective knowledge on this one

bike, cratch to tow path, tow path to cratch

cheers

Wish I'd been quick enough with the camera our last time out but we met a boat on the Ashby (tug front) with a very nice BMW motorcycle on the front. Before we'd had chance to get the camera out he'd passed. Suspect his advantage was the tug front, it gave ample room.

"Belle" has detachable gunnels both sides to allow a motorcycle to be ramped on / off. The link to Chris' web site is http://www.railwaybraking.com/belle/index.htm

I have visited the boat and it is a great idea, built by Sandhills. The only problem, as Chris found out, is if you buy a bigger bike that will not fit...........

Keith

• 10 months later...

There's a widebeam boat in London with a Harley on the front. I've never seen it taken off, seemed have been there for years. Maybe he just rides it around the deck! There's a lesson there somewhere.

I have the lightest bike I can find on my boat, currently a Yamaha scooter, I can whip it off in a couple of minutes, nip down the shops and be back within the hour.