Boatmans cabin table question

GSer

Featured Posts

Hint - the hinges are not at the bottom :lol:

Tim

Oh go on, your teasing me now, i've not got the boat in my sticky fingers yet, so I can't go and check it out, I just remember the 'flap, table/door' just swinging down to the vertical again pivoting on its lower edge

Oh go on, your teasing me now, i've not got the boat in my sticky fingers yet, so I can't go and check it out, I just remember the 'flap, table/door' just swinging down to the vertical again pivoting on its lower edge

They pivot a few inches from the lower edge.

The table is supported by the bottom shelf.

:lol: I wonder when the backcabin started being called the "boatman's cabin".

Edited by carlt

They pivot a few inches from the lower edge.

The table is supported by the bottom shelf.

:lol: I wonder when the backcabin started being called the "boatman's cabin".

Thanks Carl, that's what I had expected, but this one isn't like that it, must have been an oversight by the builder/fitter out perhaps?

Boatmans/backcabin?? Boatmans cabin sounds very 60's & 70's to me so i'd hazard a guess it's a revivalist period term.

Thanks Carl, that's what I had expected, but this one isn't like that it, must have been an oversight by the builder/fitter out perhaps?

Boatmans/backcabin?? Boatmans cabin sounds very 60's & 70's to me so i'd hazard a guess it's a revivalist period term.

I've seen backcabin pastiches that have had the table cupboard supported by opening the crumb drawer but, as far as I can recall, I haven't seen this method used in a real narrow boat.

Do you have the depth do make it work properly? There should be quite a vertical gap between where the table hinges and the knife drawer (OK Phil?*) to allow for a decent bit of flap to swing round and anchor the cantilevered table flap against the base of the cupboard. This was a bit lacking in Warrior so it's certainly possible it may have been neglected in a modern boat. I wonder if it would be possible to substitute side extensions that would go either side of the drawer? Or you could have something that goes into the drawer, but you wouldn't be able to use the drawer then.

Just musing... don't shout at me if I've visualised it all wrong.

*Dave beat me to it.

Edited by WarriorWoman

This is what ours looks like - literally a back-of-an envelope sketch. The bottom of the cupboard needs to be fairly sturdy since it's taking all the weight of the table.

IMG_9032.jpg

That's about right. The table top is about 1" thick, as is the "frame" that you see when it is the closed position, so the whole thing finishes about 2" thick as in the one Lady Muck has (but they hinge at the bottom and fold down into the open position). What does need fixing well is the bottom shelf, as the whole table acts as a lever on that when it is the open position.

Not teasing (much :lol: ), just trying to provoke a bit of thought. Trouble is, Carl was too quick with a direct answer :lol:

Anyway, here's a side view of one

DSCF2799.jpg

Apologies for the cobwebs :lol:

Tim

Not teasing (much :lol: ), just trying to provoke a bit of thought. Trouble is, Carl was too quick with a direct answer :lol:

Anyway, here's a side view of one

DSCF2799.jpg

Apologies for the cobwebs :lol:

Tim

Is that the right way up? Not much use as a table with that depression in the middle. The drop down tables that I know, have a hinged leg to support the table when the heavy teapot/ boatman/pork pies are put on the table. IME, the knife/ crumb drawer is not well designed, you invariably need an item of cutlery after you have laid the table, just try getting something out of the drawer without spilling anything. when you do spill something it runs into the drawer along with all the crumbs and you then have to clean it out along with all the "knives" . Much better to put the cutlery in a tray on a shelf , above the table and use the underneath drawer to put nuts& bolts, fuses and things in.In fact, anything that has nothing to do with eating and drinking.

Bill

The drop down tables that I know, have a hinged leg to support the table when the heavy teapot/ boatman/pork pies are put on the table.

I have never seen a table flap with a drop down leg before.

Once the flap is down you wouldn't be able to get from one end of the cabin to the other, with a leg.

I did see one with supports that pulled out of the cupboard, bureau-style but that was a modern boat with a caricature backcabin.

I have never seen a table flap with a drop down leg before.

Once the flap is down you wouldn't be able to get from one end of the cabin to the other, with a leg.

Correct, it must be a Northern thing. The tables I'm talking about are bigger than that in the photo and the cabins considerably narrower than ,for example, a GU butty. But they go back at least 60 years, so , certainly not a new idea. Look at it this way- with a drop down leg , it's strong enough to clamber over when the engine goes out. ( After you've eaten the pies). Actually, you don't have to use the leg, it just works in the ordinary way , leave the leg clipped in the table front. Still no room to get past though, the table comes over the side-bed somewhat.

Bill

No, it's the way up it was when I took the picture, that's all! (see other posts).

It was just meant to illustrate the construction, as reinforcement for the sketch shown earlier.

Tim

I cant see the hole where the laptop charging cable goes

Charles