Can anyone recommend a gas fitter?

unscarred

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I'm most of the way through fitting out one of my boats and need someone to do the gas installation. Nothing tricky - just regulator/changeover in the locker and a straight run of about 40ft with a single connector for the cooker and maybe bubble tester.

We're in the Fradley area at the moment. Can obviously move the boat but would like the work done asap so am preprared to pay the travel/premium of having someone come out to the boat.

Can anyone recommend a mobile gas fitter in this/the Staffs area?

On the offchance there's noone mobile around here I think the Streethay, Great Haywood and Jannel boat yards all do gas work and are all close. Anyone had any work done in these places? Any opinions of them?

Cheers,

Matt.

Hi all,

I'm most of the way through fitting out one of my boats and need someone to do the gas installation. Nothing tricky - just regulator/changeover in the locker and a straight run of about 40ft with a single connector for the cooker and maybe bubble tester.

We're in the Fradley area at the moment. Can obviously move the boat but would like the work done asap so am preprared to pay the travel/premium of having someone come out to the boat.

On the offchance there's noone mobile around here I think the Streethay, Great Haywood and Jannel boat yards all do gas work and are all close. Anyone had any work done in these places? Any opinions of them?

Cheers,

Matt.

How about Colin of CB Boats, he is Coventry based - 07801081395

I've thought about it. I've done everything else myself and am tempted but we're living aboard with our kids so would rather the piece of mind of chucking the money at someone who's done it before.

Fair enough.

Although you could reduce the cost by routing the copper pipe through and clipping it up ready for the gas fitter to connect up.

Might be worth putting this past the gas fitter first though.

Main thing to remember about pipe runs is to route them where the pipe can be easily pulled through.

Main thing to remember about pipe runs is to route them where the pipe can be easily pulled through.

And it has to be permanently visible along its entire length to conform with BSS regs. Though you knew that already, of course.

Can you let me know what you get quoted for this (ballpark will do) as it's something I need doing in the dim and distant?

Might be worth putting this past the gas fitter first though.

This is very true, never route pipes through your gas fitter. They hate that.

Hi all,

I can thoroughly recommend Gareth Sanders - I've worked with him for over ten years and he is fully registered etc for LPG on boats. He is based in Stratford-on-Avon, not too far for either enquirers. His number is 07833 725322.

For the record: it is gas joints that have to be accessible for BSS regs. Not the pipe itself. Read the online guide at www.boatsafetyscheme.com and I can't stress enough when dealing with LPG on boats, please take advice from qualified experienced marine fitters.

Hope this helps,

Tom Keeling

Edited by tomkeeling

Hi all,

I can thoroughly recommend Gareth Sanders - I've worked with him for over ten years and he is fully registered etc for LPG on boats. He is based in Stratford-on-Avon, not too far for either enquirers. His number is 07833 725322.

For the record: it is gas joints that have to be accessible for BSS regs. Not the pipe itself. Read the online guide at www.boatsafetyscheme.com and I can't stress enough when dealing with LPG on boats, please take advice from qualified experienced marine fitters.

Hope this helps,

Tom Keeling

Or as we did from a BSS examiner who kindly agreed to give our new gas system the once over (along with a few other things) giving us a chance to put right any problems before the main examination.

Just for the record the our BSS examiner was very impressed with our DIY fit out including the gas sytem and commented that he'd wish more boat were like ours! Well chuffed.

Hi all,

Cheers,

Matt.

Diesel Dave, he's based at Fradley, white van in Swan car park.

Andrew

Nice one, cheers for all the replies. Will do some phoning round after work.

It's a single straight run so the only joints should be at either end of the pipe. I intend to box it in afterwards but so the cover can be removed. I assume this would be fine for BSS etc as I'd be able to easily make the whole pipe visible for inspection?

Will let you know who we go with and prices/outcome when it's done.

Thanks again.

Matt.

It's a single straight run so the only joints should be at either end of the pipe. I intend to box it in afterwards but so the cover can be removed. I assume this would be fine for BSS etc as I'd be able to easily make the whole pipe visible for inspection?

Yes, I'm sure it will.

I believe the previously given advice that the whole pipe needs to be left permanently visible is not correct.

Whilst they do need to be able to see every joint, even here the actual wording includes:

Inspection panels to allow access to joints are considered compliant

(It always begs the question to me how they know there are no joints in bits of the pipe that are not exposed though. :lol: ).

I believe the previously given advice that the whole pipe needs to be left permanently visible is not correct.

That was me, sorry. Just checked the online BSS and can't find any reference to permanently visible. Did my BSS examiner tell me that one, or was it a requirement in the previous BSS? Or am I lucid dreaming again?

Seriously, I'd check with a BSS Examiner because Alan's point is valid. If they can't see a section of pipe they can't sign off to say it has no joints. And they get very twitchy about LPG.

I'd say if BSS regs say they will pass an installation where joints are covered by "inspection panels", then if OP covers just the pipes with removable covers, (effectively still just "inspection panels") - they must be fine.

The worst that can happen on the day is that they are asked to expose the whole pipe, I'd have thought.

Boats like ours that have gas appliances on both sides often cross a pipe over the roof at some point in the middle of the boat, (to avoid far more length of pipe, due to one down each gunwale). I've never seen such a pipe being left fully exposed. although on ours a few screws would remove the cover if I was asked to do so for a BSS, (I wasn't).

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know a good place to buy shortish lengths of 20swg 3/8" copper pipe for gas plumbing. BES only sell 30m coils, which is a bit OTT for my needs. Also, what's the conclusion on using sealant on gas joints? I know this has been discussed but I can't remember the answer.

MP.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but does anyone know a good place to buy shortish lengths of 20swg 3/8" copper pipe for gas plumbing. BES only sell 30m coils, which is a bit OTT for my needs. Also, what's the conclusion on using sealant on gas joints? I know this has been discussed but I can't remember the answer.

MP.

Whilst it's probably not classed as "official" advice, Calor Marine Store

Link to "Hoses, Pipework & Joints" on Calor marine Store

says of jointing compounds:-

Jointing compounds should be only applied to tapered male threads

Jointing compounds can prevent the olive engaging properly with the coupling body at the mating surface. P.T.F.E. One wrap tape made to BS 4375 or LPG jointed compounds made to BS6956 should be used should be used only on the tapered male thread ends.

Personally I take that as good advice, but it would be interesting if any of the LPG certified engineers contribution to this site had a different view.

(Whatever finally happened to our former "fully certified plumber", BTW - he certainly should have been!).

Also:

You can buy imperial copper pipe by the metre at Midland Chandler's.

(If it's imperial, should it not be sold by the yard! :lol: )

I've not got a calculator out though to see if it matches your wall thickness requirement.

Link to 3.8" O/D Pipe

If you are making a detour to Midland Chandlers anywhere though, phone and get them to actually put some somewhere with your name on. At Braunston, at least they are buggers for telling you something is in stock, that they don't actually have when you turn up. :lol:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Matt.

I can see no reason why you should need to call upon the services of such an esteemed person to carry out the work for you, the form of words is 'A competent person' and there is no reason why that person can't be yourself.. Gas installation is one of the easier jobs on a boat, a person with an engineering or practical background can make a good job of it with little more than a common sense attitude..

The most difficult bit is in ignoring the hysterical tantrums when the totally uninformed get to know that you are doing it yourself.

Edited by John Orentas

I can see no reason why you should need to call upon the services of such an esteemed person to carry out the work for you, the form of words is 'A competent person' and there is no reason why that person can't be yourself.. Gas installation is one of the easier jobs on a boat, a person with an engineering or practical back can make a good job of it with little more than a common sense attitude..

The most difficult bit is in ignoring the hysterical tantrums when the totally uninformed get to know that you are doing it yourself.

Couldn't agree more. I seem to remember being at the receiving end of a few tantrums when we dared to mention that we were planning to fit the gas system ourselves (supervervised by a competant time served plumber).

Fitting simple gas systems is not hard, same as rewiring houses or changing the clutch on a car etc etc as long as you follow the rules and don't take short cuts!

I've come across quite a few so called 'qualified' tradesman in the past whos workmanship was very shoddy indeed! (met a quite a few truely supurb tradesmen too just for the record)

Edited by bag 'o' bones

I found this was on the Ovation Boat Services website.

Gas work on Hire Boats, Day Boats and Residential boats has to be carried out by those having correct Gas Safe Registration (until end March 2009 this used to be CORGI).

We're residential. Not questioning the accuracy of the statement but can anyone tell me what legislation says it has to be a Gas Safe registered installer that does the work?

For info I also found this list of gas safe registered installers on the CalorGas website listed by area, might be useful to others:

http://www.calormarineshop.co.uk/marine_ga...tallers_map.htm

Matt.

• 1 month later...

On the subject of a gas fittings being visible.

If it is visible it may still be unaccessible . So what is the point of just being visible?

I have a Vanette Oven and hob, the hob is on top of the oven with the worktop in between, it is impossible to see or get to the joints without taking the hob off.

Where does this leave me as regards to the BSS?

• 2 months later...
On the subject of a gas fittings being visible.

If it is visible it may still be unaccessible . So what is the point of just being visible?

I have a Vanette Oven and hob, the hob is on top of the oven with the worktop in between, it is impossible to see or get to the joints without taking the hob off.

Where does this leave me as regards to the BSS?

To dredge up an old thread...

That is a good question - and one I've been pondering, having just installed a gas hob above an oven. I've installed a single isolator, which we wanted but believe to be non-bss-required if a bubble tester is fitted. I also think I've read (and I'd have to go check the book) that a hob/oven combination are viewed as a single appliance.

IMG01213-20100321-1306.jpg

I've a t-piece on top of the oven, which is completely inaccessible without lifting the worktop, which the same goes for the two 1/2FI fittings which attach to the oven and hob themselves. I can only imagine the same would go for a house installation, although finding a gas oven was hard enough work in any case.

IMG01214-20100321-1342.jpg

IMG01215-20100321-1547.jpg

Anyhoo, what says the board?