Disability options

roger

Featured Posts

Could we have a section for disabled waterway users please? There are quite a number of us who are users of this forum including one of the mods. Thanks.

Ermmm, isn't the idea that disabled people be integrated into the wider community? I'm surprised that you should be separating yourself by requesting this. Any issues relating to disability (and what does that mean? - e.g I'm very shortsighted!) would surely get a greater airing if not hived off into a separate section. Many people would just pass over any posts in such a subforum, whereas queries in the main sections would reach a greater (helpful) audience.

By no means criticising this - just surprised.

Mac

Its certainly a possabilty. Technicaly is very easly to setup, however others have said, im hesitant to separte it off as not only would i prefer to avoid segration of user groups where possable i worry that posts posted there would receive less attention than they would elsewhere leading to people not using the section anyway.

- If it did become a section i envisage it being a subsection to the main boating section, as per the banters section within the virtual pub.

Daniel

I'm interested by the suggestion that we shouldn't divide ourselves off in 'segregation,' but CWF is a PUBLIC forum, hence I dont see how "segregation" would occur. The idea of a section (within the virtual pub or general boating whichever) would however make it perhaps easier for those of us who would like it, whilst at the same time welcome feedback from others. If someone wanted to discuss a topic without getting "drowned out" by other forum users' input then this would be the place, as some topics could fairly well be quite sensitive. It doesnt mean that jokes or being funny are not allowed, but on some threads I've seen, as soon as someone posts a new topic, a CWF user drifts in with uneccessary comments which I'm sure sometimes dents the confidence of the originator.

I'm interested by the suggestion that we shouldn't divide ourselves off in 'segregation,' but CWF is a PUBLIC forum, hence I dont see how "segregation" would occur. The idea of a section (within the virtual pub or general boating whichever) would however make it perhaps easier for those of us who would like it, whilst at the same time welcome feedback from others. If someone wanted to discuss a topic without getting "drowned out" by other forum users' input then this would be the place, as some topics could fairly well be quite sensitive. It doesnt mean that jokes or being funny are not allowed, but on some threads I've seen, as soon as someone posts a new topic, a CWF user drifts in with uneccessary comments which I'm sure sometimes dents the confidence of the originator.

Several things here I just don't understand:

1. How would a separate section make it 'easier' ?

2. In one sentence you're welcoming feedback from others, but in the next don't want to be 'drowned out'.

3. If a topic is 'quite sensitive', then is a public forum the place to discuss it?

4. Dented cofidence, especially of new posters, is by no means limited to the disabled, or even more likely.

5. Would there be some sort of 'disability test' for posters, or would self assessment do? :lol:

Cheers

Mac

Several things here I just don't understand:

1. How would a separate section make it 'easier' ?

2. In one sentence you're welcoming feedback from others, but in the next don't want to be 'drowned out'.

3. If a topic is 'quite sensitive', then is a public forum the place to discuss it?

4. Dented cofidence, especially of new posters, is by no means limited to the disabled, or even more likely.

5. Would there be some sort of 'disability test' for posters, or would self assessment do? :lol:

Cheers

Mac

language is a funny thing, all sorts of assumptions can be inferred from it - except the original meaning! :lol:

I think if you are disabled and you are own your own on the canals it is more likely you will face issues. If you are often with others it is more likely that the perception of one's disability has much less impact. That is why it is important to share experiences.

As a deaf/aspergerers I would like to know how I can reduce the rather vile reactions I get from some canallers which I find appaling. Im sure several canallers find me 'appaling' but then that is because they dont understand disabilities. It is like Thats Life where Esther Rantzen exposed attitudes by her film of a man with speech problems who encountered a lot of vile reactions when asking for directions. Canallers who know me well have said to me frequently, "its because these other boaters cant understand your disability, and they dont want to understand either."

I think if you are disabled and you are own your own on the canals it is more likely you will face issues. If you are often with others it is more likely that the perception of one's disability has much less impact. That is why it is important to share experiences.

As a deaf/aspergerers I would like to know how I can reduce the rather vile reactions I get from some canallers which I find appaling. Im sure several canallers find me 'appaling' but then that is because they dont understand disabilities. It is like Thats Life where Esther Rantzen exposed attitudes by her film of a man with speech problems who encountered a lot of vile reactions when asking for directions. Canallers who know me well have said to me frequently, "its because these other boaters cant understand your disability, and they dont want to understand either."

It is interesting - I am normally very fit and able, but in May this year, had both my legs very badly crushed / broken in several places with bones sticking out through the skin etc, however ( fortunately ) both knees, ankles and hips have been almost undamaged. Naturally I was in hospital for some weeks, but came home in June and have been in a wheelchair ever since. It is very different seeing the world from a wheelchair. Previously it sort of embarrassed me in a way, not knowing what brought the problem to people and not knowing if I should/could help ( and risk embarrassing them or even humiliating them) or should let them sort themselves out. Now with the situation reversed, in the main I have had very good and generous feedback from the general public, with people nearly always wanting to help if they could - I don't feel as if people should have helped me or should not, so if / when I can walk again, I will be much more comfortable in helping them when I encounter them... My upper body strength, previously strong, is now much stronger, having had to do much of what my legs did, now with my arms ( e.g. I "walk" down the stairs on my arms now on the handrails ) However, I wish I were "normal" again... even some simple everyday things are desperately difficult to do :lol:

Nick

Does this mean that members without a disability would not be allowed to contribute?

This, surely, would be how "segregation" occurs.

How do you know that the "CWDF user" who "drifts in with unnecessary comments" isn't disabled?

to segregate or not?

A lot of us use the view new post facility which means in my case I don't necessarily know which section of the forum I'm in anyway when I comment, so being in a seperate section may not protect your idea from the circling vultures who like a good scrap anywhere on the forum :lol:

Not sure about general boating though as I'd expect half the questions to be about disabled access to the canal side as much as how to make boats accessible, and it's probably this second half that more needs it's own forum area. If someone were to post "I'm designing a narrow boat that can accomodate my disabled son, who is largely wheelchair bound..." (I use this as an example because I know someone who has done just that) I think it would be answered just like any other technical question, but a less obvious question (DDA compliant trip boats for example) may get lost in the noise. I notice that "events" posts, which don't get many responses, very quickly drop off the new posts list for example.

So, probably a good idea, but where to put it, and what to call it. I'd suggest "disabled canal users" rather than "disabled boaters"

Does this mean that members without a disability would not be allowed to contribute?

I hope not, as you don't have to be disabled yourself to have experience of the issues

I don't think a disabled section is necessary. In a world which is slowly becoming inclusive without highlighting diffrences I think a disabled section would be a step in the wrong direction. I'm afraid there are a few disabled people out there who wear their 'disabled' badge on their arm! - 'I'm disabled you know!' gets on my nerves to be honest.

There are plenty of disabled pressure group websites out there for all manner of efflictions but I don't think we need one on here.

Just a thought.

If you can think of a topic which would really be "off topic" ins all of the current sections, then there's a reason to make a new section. Since the task is to discuss boating and disability issues, and we already have sections which cover all boating issues, it's probably better to use those. Given how far and wide discussion ranges on here, I doubt that anyone will object and try and force disability discussions into a ghetto.

Adaptations? The equipment forum, or maybe boat building.

Practical arrangements? Living afloat.

Handling a boat when disabled? Boat handling.

Anything else? The Virtual Pub.

Look at what we've discussed recently: it's a huge range. There's no reason to think that disability wouldn't fit in fine.

MP.