NB 'Talpidae'

Moley

Featured Posts

With the Bank Holiday weekend and half-term hols looming, evening sessions were extended in an effort to get essentials connected and working, though frustration levels were rising again. And the evenings were damp and depressing. Weekend arrived and boat was nowhere near ready, timber and tools everywhere, still no water heater, and it seemed like the weather gods were uniting to keep us out of that wairter’ole. Finally got a break in the weather, and Lynn had the first assault on the tank while I was otherwise occupied.

Saturday morning I continued the attack, scraped and dug more crud out and reached a point where we needed to get to the water point and hose around.

Hence, on the afternoon of Saturday May 27th, NB formerly known as ‘Deal’ started first time and proceeded under her own power for the first time since September from moorings to the water point, a distance of almost 100 yards (no locks). A bit of a rinse-out revealed that more work was still required, and we embarked on the return reverse trip. It started raining again :blink:

Sunday morning saw me head-down again in the water tank scraping some more, then pour half a bucket of water in, wash round, remove water/filth/rust with a sponge, repeat 3 or 4 times until satisfied that’s about as good as it’s going to get, before trying to dry tank and hoover last rust flakes out of the corners. Finally managed to get a coat of Vactan in, bearing in mind that this is working blind, the light’s starting to fade, torch batteries are flat, and in any case, there’s no possible way of getting head and arm through inspection hatch at same time.

So what’s in your water tank?

sludge.jpg

Water pump had been temporarily connected at bow to enable me to pump out from the tank and over the side, but Monday allowed me to fix water pump into new final position, level and fix kitchen cupboards, finally get worktops on and sink fitted (the self-adhesive sealing strip supplied with the sink was pathetic, but the weed hatch tape was too wide and the half inch trimmed off was put to good use). Got all that fixed, but covered with cardboard and tools, by the time Enigma and TeeELL came by, so work was suspended for a while.

By now it was becoming obvious that we wouldn’t be away on Tuesday either, as I still had to cut a hole in the roof for the Morco flue, fix the water heater, finish off the plumbing and gas, not to mention tidying tools and stuff away.

Tuesday morning I reassessed the water tank (with torch now recharged) and decided it needed another coat of Vactan, which was duly applied. Got the last of the gas work connected, turned on and checked. Gave up and went home. Fortunately, I was able to leave the tank open all day Tuesday and only loosely covered overnight, so by Wednesday morning it was dry and shiny and black. Started up and moved onto water point again to fill up. Pressurised water system, checked and approved all plumbing and waste connections. Water heater wouldn’t fire up (pilot light burning happily and the right colour). Removed anything from boat that could be taken home and stowed everything else.

For anyone who’s not aware, Kidderminster is a carpet town, although sadly now on a much smaller scale than in it’s heyday. Even so, within half a mile of our moorings there must be at least 5 carpet warehouses, so Lynn and the kids were sent off on a mission to find us a suitable roll-end-remnant. Found a 10 x 10ft heavy-duty, waterproof backed carpet in no time at all, enough for the saloon area and two strips for the side corridor, for forty-something. Laid that, tidied up, metaphorically patted myself on the back and took a few pics:

C31050601.jpg

C31050602.jpg

Went home, gave permission to board, Lynn loaded up the car while I showered and changed.

By the time we’d got back to the boat, unloaded, and stowed provisions (with one major omission), clothing and bedding, it was past 5pm. Formally re-named, requested blessings for Talpidae and all who sail in here and poured a bottle of beer over the bow, then we were off on our maiden voyage :blink:

But now we're back, and there's still loads to do. Lectrix are iffy, batteries probably fubard, and I've finally had to ‘bite the bullet’ and accept that injin'ole has got to be the next challenge :angry:

Edited by Moley

Great work Moley,

You're certainly cracking on with it all!

The water tank... ewww! I've got to tackle mine some time soon, which I think is in the same condition as yours was.. and I'm not looking forward to it.

I've actually seen inside that water tank - it must have been quite some job to clear it!

Nice one Moley,

Glad to have you back - looking forward to the cruise log for your first real trip.

Janet

So what’s in your water tank?

sludge.jpg

Are you sure it's the FRESH water tank you are cleaning out there, Ade ? :angry:

Looking good though, and really glad you got to use it.

We look forward to the cruise log......

OK Moley, where is the other boat!!! The one I saw earlier in the week looked nothing like that. Seriously though you have progressed in leaps and bounds and put the majority to shame with the work rate you achieve - as Bottle says Respect Man. I will be passing your neck of the woods on or about 11 Sep with 'ELEMIAH' so I very much hope to see you again and the completed? 'Talpidae' perhaps we can compare notes over a sherbet or two. The very best wishes for your continued progression (I must take a look around your carpet warehouses for some carpeting for 'ELE') and many years of cruising enjoyment.

Guest st170dw

Are you sure it's the FRESH water tank you are cleaning out there, Ade ? :angry:

Looking good though, and really glad you got to use it.

We look forward to the cruise log......

Were you near Brewood last weekend - molehills appeared overnight!

I hope the kids did the caring tasks for you and Mrs Mole

The kids seem unable most of the time to either see or hear either of us.

As for doing anything helpful, you are joking, right? :P

Mrs. Mole did comment that I'd done no washing up or anything in 3 days, but I replied to the effect that I'd built the chuffin' boat, put my feet up and opened another beer :D

The kids seem unable most of the time to either see or hear either of us.

it's remarkable that ........ never worked it out either :P

As for doing anything helpful, you are joking, right? :D

No, just hoping! :D

Mrs. Mole did comment that I'd done no washing up or anything in 3 days, but I replied to the effect that I'd built the chuffin' boat, put my feet up and opened another beer :D

Really, really need to train those kids!!!!!! We all need help here - mine is promising with lectrix but rubbish with the big stuff like tea and getting me more (cold) beer :D Perhaps we could send them off to Snibble for re-training (he's good at both).

Regards, Jill :D

You'd trust precious offspring to Snibble???????

Janet

Mine's certainly precious at times!

Lessons in the reality of life is what they need and we know Snibble is the man for the job. :P:D

Jill

PS do we know if Snibble is a bloke though?

PS do we know if Snibble is a bloke though?

Interesting question.

He/she says his/her name is Jerry, but I suppose it could be Geraldine, and how many blokes do you know with perfect peachy polished posteriors?

-----------------------

edit: sod it! I've tried to keep this log on-topic, and now I'm encouraging 'em to go off at a tangent :P

Edited by Moley

Snibble. Go away whilst we're talking about you. It's rude to earwig!

Janet

Back on topic - enjoyed your cruise log Moley, despite the odd few problems with the boat that you're discussing now. Glad you enjoyed your canal as much as we did!

Janet

Ahem, don't mind me.

Don't worry Snibble - your gender and s*x details are safe with us.

Back on topic, Adey, I'm really impressed with the quality you've achieved with the whole fitout. I can understand the frustration with the electricity supply, I'm now on my third major circuit investigation and I'm making no sense of it whatsoever. I come to different conclusions every time. Like Bones said in her blog she likes to understand how everything works before she feels comfortable and I suspect we're the same. It does sound suspiciously like you ran off the 12v starter battery for the break. Ellen, who is charge of wires, is finding the 12v Handbook very helpful. I've fallen asleep with it several times, which is painful as it's stored on my laptop.

I shall watch with interest.

Regards, Shep

Mrs. Mole did comment that I'd done no washing up or anything in 3 days, but I replied to the effect that I'd built the chuffin' boat, put my feet up and opened another beer :P

Blimey - Adrian you do live dangerously!

Although my Lectrix seem to have become something of a sub-sub-forum, I’ll bring stuff back here with a mini update:

You may recall my injin’ole started out something like this back in November:

C06110507.jpg

Well I’ve stripped out the wiring, removed the batteries and started to clean up in earnest. Getting those steps out and back in is quite a game single-handed, but gets easier with practice, and slow progress is being made on The Good Ship Vactan (it goes on like milk, turns blue on reaction with iron oxide and ends up shiny black, you can see which rails I’ve done and what’s still to do).

C08060605.jpg

Injin parts are starting to become more identifiable, but I’m nowhere near finished yet.

Looks like I’m in for a dirty weekend (that’s a :D not a :D )

C08060601.jpg

C08060604.jpg

The two ends of green wire twisted together are only left as a reminder where to replace, and the red loop of wire, middle of pic, is a dipstick-puller-outerer.

And when I got the steps back in, I splashed on some more Vactan before I went home.

C08060606.jpg

Hold your comments for now, but think of me while you’re all getting Snibbled and watching the footie (betcha Paraguay ain’t a pushover and Button or Coulthard don’t win at Silverstone).

-------------------------

edit:

We've just picked our teams in our works sweepstake, 2 teams each.

I've picked Brazil and Paraguay! :D

Gimme the money on Brazil now, and Come On Paraguay :D:P

Edited by Moley

Friday afternoon started with a trip to the swindlers in Stourport in an attempt to locate cables, battery terminals and isolator switches. There was no-one in the shop who could advise on electrics, they had 8.5mm2 cable and 65mm2 cable, but nothing in between, battery terminals seemed a bit pricey, and they had isolators at ‘I’m-damned-if-I’m-paying-that’ prices. So, apart from a couple of foam brushes and tack cloths, I came out empty handed and frustrated. :D

Went and did a little bit on the boat, tried to remove as much liquid as I could by baling into buckets and into 5 gallon waste water containers for off-site disposal, but really wasn’t in the mood, so returned to football and beer beer beer beer beer :P

Saturday, therefore, began with a trip to Limekiln, where I found acceptably priced isolators, ready-made battery connectors, a full range of cable sizes and everything I’m going to need.

By the time I got to the boat it was already getting intolerably hot, but this job has been put off and put off until it could be put off no longer.

‘A dirty job but someone’s got to do it” is a phrase which I swear I will never again use lightly. This was, without doubt, the dirtiest job I’ve ever had to do in my life. Give me Jane Mansfield's lobsters any day. And unfortunately there were no other volunteers for the job.

I can’t even begin to imagine how that hole got into such a state, but that was a very long-term accumulation, it has not come about in the last 21 months, so I say again, how did that boat pass a BSS? I have never seen such pure unadulterated filth!

C10060603.jpg

There seemed an unnecessary amount of ballast in the bilge, house bricks and broken paving slabs, all thick with oil. These are all now individually bagged up ready for my next trip to the tip.

Removing these revealed 20+ years of crud in all the cracks, two inches thick, which could only be dug out with a trowel.

C10060601.jpg

Saturday wasn’t too productive; late start due to Limekiln run, kids were at school for a music day, broke off early for a bit of lunch, saw the first half hour of the England match then off to school for a mini concert and to retrieve kids (thought this was extremely bad planning, but in hindsight I didn’t miss anything, looks like my Paraguay are going out :D). Returned to boat for another short session.

Got down there early on Sunday before it got too warm and made a good start, then round to Tesco for more (and thicker) rubber gloves, beer beer beer and cat litter.

I think that was Paula’s suggestion, and a very good one too. It drew puzzled looks and questions from one of the overlooking residents as I pitched half a sackful into the back end of the bilge, but it certainly does the job. The clay-based type seems to work best.

C11060601.jpg

Suffice to say that everything is now cleaned, scraped, dug out, de-greased, Vactanned where required and I can get batteries back in tonight and start to re-wire.

C11060602.jpg

C11060603.jpg

I also cleaned out and unblocked the drainage channels, so deck water should now be able to run out to the canal. Will be interesting to see how much water is in the bilge tonight after this morning's thunderstorms. But I'm not afraid to go down there anymore, or embarrassed to remove the deck boards.