NB 'Talpidae'

Moley

Featured Posts

Moley,

Looking good, one thing I could have done with in hindsight was a buscuit jointer, I see you have one, easy to use and very strong joints

B&Q have up to 13 weeks lead times for their kitchens as you might know, Screwfix which as far as I recall are competatively prices and next day delivery

Charles

bring it out away from the wall as much as you dare, too close and you cannot get your head over it without bashing it on the facing wall, and you will constantly be sloshing water all over the floor.

Sensible tip, will test before I fit.

B&Q have up to 13 weeks lead times for their kitchens

All off-the-shelf stuff, and most is already onboard and assembled.

And yes, biscuit joiners are very useful, and a lot easier than cutting biscuit slots with a router.

• 2 weeks later...

Ade,

A bit :) , but I noticed quite a few boats when out cruising last week that bore striking resemblance to Talpidae.

I think there are a tidy few about.

These pictures are of one of a number that seem to be being operated in Calcutt's hire fleet....

Calcutt_Boat_Front.jpg

Calcutt_Boat_Rear.jpg

A bit off topic, but I noticed quite a few boats when out cruising last week that bore striking resemblance to Talpidae. I think there are a tidy few about.

I know of two others in our area; an almost identical boat moored at Stourton, and a slightly longer one on an end-of-garden mooring in Swindon.

Well, I had 5 days off work, and hoped to achieve such a lot, but it just didn't work out that way.

I had a couple of good days on Friday and Saturday, got another wall cut, fitted and fixed (which gives us a bedroom, a wardrobe and most of a bathroom), and the final bulkhead (between bathroom and galley) cut to size and shape (tricky when there's only one straight edge) and wedged into position. Bath surround / support completed, new hole cut in roof and another mushroom fitted, some plumbing fixed but not connected, some more electrics installed but not connected, gunwhales trimmed straight and batten attached ready to receive gas pipe, and lots of ‘bit jobs’ done, which should all make sense when it starts to come together.

Then the long weekend went from bad to worse. The bath, basin and toilet all had to come out again. Lynn was working Sunday and Monday mornings, but I managed to get on with some woodwork down the cellar. I had to fetch my Mother for Sunday afternoon and a late meal, but managed to get onboard for a couple of hours to bitumen the bathroom.

Off topic; Isn't it annoying when you get a song in your head and it won't go away!

It could only be the Rolling Stones - Paint It Black.

Monday, I had a few hours and managed to get the bath wastes attached and the Gulper fitted. I put the bath back in, it rested on the waste :blush:

Out it came again. Fortunately, there was enough thickness to the nylon plank I'm laying it on, so (having already thoroughly brushed and vacuumed every last bit of sawdust out of the bathroom and the base of the boat) I then proceeded to attack that plank with a router and plough out a recess for the waste (filling every orifice once more with nylon swarf).

Why is it that, when things are getting you down, every little thing conspires against you? By the time I reached going-home-time on Monday I was practically crying, wondering what I was doing, why I was bothering, if I was even capable of finishing the job, understanding why there seem to be a few unfinished projects up for sale, and wondering why the hell I'd ever set foot on a narrowboat in the first place!

I had Tuesday off too, but Lynn was meant to be working (was actually quite ill and very low), so I was stuck with the kids either way, but managed to lose them for a couple of hours at our local cinema's kids' club, so managed to get some more plumbing installed and everything back where it should be. Still couldn't connect everything up (for the want of two jubilee clips), and can't finally fix things in position until I've tipped a few gallons of water in the bath and checked for leaks.

But all the pieces are starting to come together, and the gloom has lifted.

Moley

Well done, if it all went easy there would be no sense of achievment :blush:

I am sure that when you start cruising, the trials and tribulations will be worth a laugh in the local hostelry.

Ade,

If I could make the same progress in one of my "productive" weeks, as you seem able to make even in your (in your view) "least productive" weekends, I'd be more than happy!

I think what you have taken on is far harder work than any sailaway, because you have had to strip it back to metal and do a heap of remedial work, before the refit could start in anger.

Even just trying to reuse bits you have that work, (loo, water heater, etc), but for which you don't have instructions, is a case where starting with all new bits would be slightly easier.

I've not seen a boat brought up to scratch faster, (or at least not by someone doing it alongside a job and family life).

I think you can see light at the end of the tunnel, and once you have restored basic services, and can start to use it, even if there's lots left to do, any doubts you have about the project will quickly go away.

Would love to see some more pics..... If you are looking for a BMC engineer, does it mean that if someone now goes into the engine 'ole, there's a chance they'll actually be able to be found afterwards :blush:

Keep it up!

Alan

If you are looking for a BMC engineer, does it mean that if someone now goes into the engine 'ole, there's a chance they'll actually be able to be found afterwards :D

Debatable! :blush:

But fair play, I agree he's doing well, but at that stage where 5 days work appears to have produced very little visible difference but an awful lot of 'behind the scenes' work achieved.

Well done Mole! :):blush:

We would like to out on the cut at Spring bank holiday though, it's very frustrating watching everyone else going by, enjoying themselves! :blush:

Thanks for the encouragement folks, I guess that everyone who builds, fits or refits a narrowboat must ‘hit a downer’ at some time.

Well last week was great - only a 2-and-a-half day working week - Bank Holiday Monday, Tuesday off too (added so boss could have a long weekend) back on Wednesday (pay day), and finish early on a Friday :blush:

Friday started with a bit of good fortune. There’s a kitchen and bathroom furniture factory on our industrial estate. It’s mostly chipboard stuff (but no shortage of firewood), but just occasionally they chuck out something useful. Like the offcut of new worktop that now holds our bathroom washbasin. And then, if they refit a kitchen, old worktops etc. might be brought back to base. Some folks obviously have more money than sense, and have to have a new kitchen every couple of years when there’s damn-all wrong with the one they’ve got. So on Friday morning, with their gaffer’s permission, I picked up from by their skips 1m, 1.8m and 2m lengths of solid beech worktop. What does that stuff cost :)

OK, it will need half an hour with a belt sander and re-sealing, but that will do nicely for the boat thank you.

Got down to the boat Friday afternoon, put the bath into place, connected the waste and Gulper and tipped in a couple of gallons of water.

There was a drip :o

Lifted the bath, seemed dry around the plug’ole, tightened jubilee clip onto the waste and tried again. Ten minutes dry, then a drip. Managed to get another clip down the hose and attached, that seemed to do the trick. Put everything back into place and left it overnight.

Saturday morning, still dry :D

Got the washbasin and cabinet sealed and fixed into place and fixed the next wall. Also fitted plumbing for water heater. Getting the basin waste to the skin fitting was fun. (The open end will be for the kitchen sink).

C23040601.jpg

The essentials are falling into place, as that lot’s now conveniently hidden behind a gap-filling wine rack (yes I know it’s only a token half-caser, but it’s a start).

C23040602.jpg

OK, I might re-think the open-plan loo.

I’ve got past the “whose damned stupid idea was it to buy a narrowboat in the first place?” phase, but rapidly moved on to “whose damned stupid idea was it to fit a bath?” (OCM’s :D )

That’s now in, and staying in, and I’ve progressed to “whose damned stupid idea was it to tile on the diagonal?” (OCM’s :D ) (conveniently overlooking the fact that I’m the damned fool who’s actually fixing them and could have vetoed the suggestion :blush: ) Not something I’d entertain without a tile saw, but it should look good. Better than black bitumen anyway.

C23040603.jpg

So, I feel like I’m starting to get somewhere, and have had a satisfactory weekend.

As a side topic, as a spin-off from the Signwriting thread http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4251 and my own musings at post #14 ..... play time.

Take one plank:

Name01.jpg

and re-saw into two boards (trouble is, my table saw only goes this deep)

Name02.jpg

The check shirt's pure coincidence, and safety devices have been removed for photographic purposes only ... and if you believe that you'll believe anything :blush:

Name03.jpg

... and the rest’s gotta be done by hand

Name04.jpg

This could take some time.

are you still sawing?!

Any time I go down the cellar (to the freezer, or wine rack) I give it 50 saw cuts.

I should be through it by August :blush:

You have amazing eyebrows by the way.

:blush:

Which ones the plank!

I'll get in before anyone else !!!

I baited that one for Snibble :blush:

I know moles tend to grub around in the dark, but let me know when you get to needing things like flourescent lights

I never know when to take you seriously. Anyway, thanks, but already sorted.

I tend to prefer a better level of illumination, though I can also be nocturnal. Trouble is, OCM doesn't appreciate me woodworking at 3am. ;)

Back on topic (and please keep it that way :blush:), playtime continued:

As of this morning, 06:30, I now have two short planks.

In the meantime; choose your weapon - quarter inch cove methinks:

Name05.jpg

Fit collar to router and measure distance between collar and bit (in this case, 5mm):

Name06.jpg

Choose a type style, scale as appropriate and print out. Note, I have added a centre line and given each character cross-hairs. Transferring these to my templates will allow me to keep things level and control letter spacing (kerning).

Name04a.jpg

Stick letter printout to laminate offcut with Spraymount. Guide block is affixed to back and cross-hairs measured from that. Draw around 5mm from letter (couldn't be bothered to do it electronically):

Name07.jpg

As a self-confessed power tool addict, I think the only type of saw I don’t posess is a scroll saw, so I’ve made one. The box is a masterpiece in itself, screwed, glued & biscuited. Jigsaw base is set into a routed recess, and pinned down with holding bars. Before anyone asks, box is on its side:

Name08.jpg

Drill a couple of holes to give a start point, and cut through laminate and pattern:

Name09.jpg

File straight edges and smooth bumps out of curves with rubber spindle sanding thingy:

Name10.jpg

Remove pattern and clean off glue with meths or whatever:

Name11.jpg

Clamp template on piece of scrap ply, cut a test, then fine tune template as required:

Name12.jpg

Theory is proven, now I need to smooth those planks (Lynn says I can’t have a thicknesser ;) so that's going to take a while) and cut the other templates.

To be continued, but I reckon it'll be gud-e-nuf ;)

Edited by Moley

Hi Ade,

I'm amazed - to think that there are folks around who can actually think this way, let alone set to and produce a result!

As a totally non-DIY'er, I have nothing but admiration. :blush:

Peter

ps: nice to've met'cha. ;)

I never know when to take you seriously.

Never, but that aside I am really impressed with what you're achieving here. If there are any electrical components you need, post it and if I can source it I will cut the price back as far as I can, cost if I can get away with it.

Bravo! applause!

If there are any electrical components you need, post it and if I can source it I will cut the price back as far as I can, cost if I can get away with it.

Now he tells me :blush:

I think I've got just about everything I need to complete the project.

Thanks anyway.

ps: nice to've met'cha. ;)

Peter: ditto, shame it wasn't for longer, and regards to Jan.

Hi,just been reading all this and really impressed, we have got all this to do to our boat now,(I think that everyone knows the story) and I`ve got to admit we were thinking that we had bitten off more than we could chew ,but reading this has shown what can be done,cant wait to start now,will we be saying that in a few weeks time ? :blush:

keep up the good work

if you are really bored after this you could always come and do ours lol

;)

we have got all this to do to our boat now ... but reading this has shown what can be done, can't wait to start now, will we be saying that in a few weeks time?

Thanks for the comments, and the very best of luck with yours, keep us all posted.

if you are really bored after this you could always come and do ours

Tempting, but I think I'll pass.

If we keep this one for a couple of years and then I can recoup, or maybe turn a slight profit, I think my next project may be a nice clean, new sailaway :blush:

Hi there,

We'll be coming through Kidderminster on our two week cruise in May, so we'll watch out for you!

It's been interesting reading about your progress. Will be good to see it.

Janet