NB 'Talpidae'

Moley

Featured Posts

Moley, Ive to a monobloc tap in the kitchen and no problems what so ever with pressure (its actually a bit strong!). Its 15mm plasic pipe to the tap and then 2x metal tails (about 10mm each). I've got a 30psi pump and accumulator tank similar in size to yours (must be Limekiln :D )

Is the tap okay? Perhaps one of the washers (or ceramic disc?) inside stuck or set incorrectly?

If you remove the tap does the water fire out of the pipe okay? (try not to sink your boat while you're doing this!!)

Edited by stuart

Stuart, yes, tap is now fine (this is the one that was on the boat originally, not the brand new ceramic disc one that came with the sink). And no, I'm not about to bu99er about with the new one to try to improve its flow.

And yes to Limekiln's accumulators, they had another £170 off us on Saturday.

This included two new 115A/h leisure batteries. I seem to recall saying that I thought we'd got volts but precious few amps, well if the bateries have been on mains charge and the fridge is flashing ‘insufficient power’ after just a few hours, with engine running, that would seem to indicate to me that batteries are also on their way out. And their voltage is dropping overnight with everything isolated.

But we've broken the grand now with Limekiln, so 5% off any future purchases.

• 3 weeks later...

So, our holidays are looming and time’s fast running out. There’s still lots to do, but she’s usable, and I’m working on the niceties.

The bathroom has now been completed. All wall tiling is up and grouted, the shower’s in, I just need to attach one shower rail bracket and clean up a bit. It still has a curtain where a door should be.

The galley is completed, just needs the toe-kicks under the cupboards etc. installed and some vertical strips of floor tiles. That can wait.

C08080601.jpg

Splashbacks are tiled and grouted, an extra bit of worktop has been added (I like this touch, cut out so you can stand comfortably at the sliding window to feed the ducks or watch the world go by). This will have a couple more shelves installed below it; again, that can wait.

C08080602.jpg

At the front end, I still need to machine quite a bit of oak strip to cover some of the cracks in the walling laminate, but that can wait. The OSB has gone and all the ash faced ply is up, apart from some little bits on the front wall. I will be constructing some cupboards and shelving at the front, but for now an old dropleaf table with the back leaf removed is being temporarily fixed. This will serve for now as a TV stand and a table, and hides the water filter. The steps need to be oak clad and some decent treads made. All windows need some facing strips to cover the join between window suround and ash ply. Lynn’s been busy making curtains, I’ve still got to polish and re-fit the brass rods.

C07080601.jpg

I’ve been sidetracked as it would appear that the guinea pig is coming on holiday too :P

C09080601.jpg

C09080602.jpg

and yes, I know the front paintwork is in serious need of attention.

The kids were still going to be sleeping on airbeds, but the start of our hols has been delayed by not going to Cropredy and unforseen circumstances with cats and vets (we should have been away by now but it’s looking like Sunday might be our best hope). I’ve therefore got time to knock together some seating / bed bases. For now these will simply be box or ladder frames with boards on top, I will add sides and face-frames later. After a bit of time to make an accurate double-sided dowelling jig, the construction should be strong and fairly swift.

C09080603.jpg

C09080604.jpg

edited for spelling

As I say, still lots of finishing touches to add, but I've just had a look back at the pics on page 1, and all-in-all, I think I've done okay, considering.

Edited by Moley

Yes, do that, and I'll post them for you.

I only have PC access at work though, so there may be slight delays.

I'm sure everyone will be interested to keep up with your progress - I certainly will!

Janet

Is the guinea pig related to Snibble?

Is the guinea pig related to Snibble?

Let's stop this now, or it's going to get very off-topic and very convoluted, but it looks like we could be taking the whole damned menagerie :P

that's one guinea pig under the front seat, four budgies in a hamster cage :) (half the price of the same sized birdcage, apparently), and, subject to vet's check-up tomorrow, possibly two cats :P

And two of us, and two kids :)

Or I might just leave the lot of 'em at home and try solo cruising :P

Utmost respect to the molemeister on progress so far. Being the sort of person who WOULD go off in search of a left-handed screwdriver (although I really mean to learn), I am in awe of the DIY prowess shown.

Incidentally, I think FUBAR is an Americanism (possibily military) standing for F**ked Up Beyond All Repair.

Edited for typos.

Edited by Callum

I think FUBAR is an Americanism (possibily military) standing for effed Up Beyond All Repair.

Correct. Derivation American military, certainly used in one of the Vietnam films (possibly Platoon), Beyond All Recognition, but first encountered by me in its Anglicised version (Beyond All Reasonable Doubt), in the early 80's, source Marconi Avionics, but probably other British military development.

I think I first heard FUBAR in a science fiction film, the name of which completely escapes me....

Janet

Was is possibly "Dark Star"?

Edited after reading earlier post regarding animals - it's not a narrowboat, it's a flaming ark!

Edited by Janet S

I think I first heard FUBAR in a science fiction film, the name of which completely escapes me....

The term was used in the movies Tango and Cash (1989) and Saving Private Ryan (1998).

Sorry, anyone broad-minded has gotta see the related acronyms etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fubar

innit amazin' wotcha can find on this innernet thingy :P

Ade,

as ever your prodigious work rate and quality of workmanship shames us. I very much hope that you will be around on Sun 10 Sep when I bring ‘Elemiah’ down past your moorings; so I can see first hand your efforts and the progress you have made since my last visit. Have a great cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Well the plan was to have headed down to Cropredy for the folk festival (3 nights camping, Thurs - Sat), home on Sunday then straight off on the boat for a fortnight. But, “the best laid plans o' moles and men...” (or something like that).

We never quite got round to sending off for the tickets (something to do with our disposable income, and then some, being disposed of in the directions of Limekiln, B&Q and suchlike). So I cancelled my Thursday and Friday off work (to take them later in the year), but gained a couple of evenings to work on the boat. It turned out just as well really, thanks to cats and rosebushes and vets we'd probably not have been able to go anyway.

I was therefore able to continue to chuck together some front bed/seating.

Sturdy, but nothing fancy about the construction (joints are dowelled or half-lapped or both), for the time being I've re-used the seating pads which came with the boat, but will have new ones made in due course.

No seating yet has end panels, face frames or drawers. Seating base to the left is screwed to the floor, but I'm pleased with the back support, which will prop up to give a comfortable angle or hinge down flat for a wider single bed.

SeatsLeft.jpg

To the right I currently have an old dropleaf table screwed to the front wall, will make something similar but better for TV plus storage plus table. Two 2-foot seat bases, movable. The one nearest the stove will have a tiled, fire-boarded end panel. Top hinges over to make another 6ft bed. Will probably wall mount another dropleaf table, to use between separated seats. Not too pretty, but for now, it works.

SeatsRight.jpg

and in use:

C27080605.jpg

Note: the cuddly-toy moles came too.

I've re-used the seating pads which came with the boat, but will have new ones made in due course.

Unless you know somebody in the trade, prepare for a possible nasty shock.... :angry:

But then, with your usual good fortune, you'll probably see ones of exactly the right size, colour and supportiveness being skipped by someone, somewhere!.... :angry:

...................but I'm pleased with the back support, which will prop up to give a comfortable angle or hinge down flat for a wider single bed.

Excellent idea, and I'm not sure I've ever seen anything similar, despite being a good way of tackling this problem.

We also have boxes with inbuilt storage that act as our settees during the day, but to become single beds long enough for our boys overnight.

The one slight irritation of the approach, is finding somewhere to lose the seat backs to overnight, as they don't form part of the actual beds. Fortunately we decided to have them made up as two half length backs for each berth, meaning we only have to be able to stow cushions just over 3 feet long, rather than trying to find a home for 6 foot plus of foam cushion overnight. In fact, if they are not too full of everything else, our seat back cushions can actually be stowed in the lockers under the beds themselves.

Unless you know somebody in the trade, prepare for a possible nasty shock

Yes, I know :angry:
I'm not sure I've ever seen anything similar, despite being a good way of tackling this problem.

Seemed logical, the back needs angling for comfort, so a question of trying to accommodate son when lying down, but not reducing it too much for Lynn's a**e when seated. (Hard hat please).

Apologies to Stuart, but as I've not seen your solution, it must just be a case of 'great minds think alike' (or is that 'fools seldom differ'?)

As we'll have two (approx.) 6' x 2' pads and four 2ft squares, storage for the spare bits isn't a problem. New back pad will be 3 or 4 inches wider, panel won't be seen.

Bones: Ta for that, :angry:

• 1 month later...

Out of interest. I note that you have used the time honoured method of tucking curtains behind a dowel to hold them back. We found it awkward to upon/close curtains like that, and found they caused the dowels to bow and become loose. We came up with the following solution, (don't know if it's original). We sewed brass curtain rings to the back of the curtains and threaded them on the dowel which is now behind the curtain. It's very much more user friendly now, and we think it looks nicer too.

Moley, What did you use for an end panel on the kitchen units (I am thinking of the one by the fridge)

It's just an offcut of 25mm MDF with a skin of my 7mm oak flooring laminate bonded to it with a polyurethane glue, and then a solid oak edging strip biscuit jointed on the front.

I note that you have used the time honoured method of tucking curtains behind a dowel to hold them back. We found it awkward to open/close curtains like that, and found they caused the dowels to bow and become loose.

The dowels are only temporary and will be replaced with brass rod when I get a round tuit, but they seem in short supply at the moment.

Edited by Moley

It's just an offcut of 25mm MDF with a skin of my 7mm oak flooring laminate bonded to it with a polyurethane glue, and then a solid oak edging strip biscuit jointed on the front.

The dowels are only temporary and will be replaced with brass rod when I get a round tuit, but they seem in short supply at the moment.

I have tried all those curtain retention methods, brass rod (that's the worst) chains, fixed battens. This method I have found to be far best. A combination of polished 25mm dowel and chain.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php...&cmd=si&img=908