Maiden Voyage

Moley

Featured Posts

Now I realise that these cruise logs are traditionally a catalogue of disasters and a chance for a laugh at someone else’s misfortune, so I will apologise in advance as our first foray was an almost total success.

Wednesday May 31st, 5:30pm

Cast off from the water point, reversed past moorings, tried to pole some twigs that have been floating around for a while out of our way and found that a fairly large branch was attached, managed to shift that out of harm’s way, turned without too much difficulty and we were away.

But not far, ‘cos the first leg of our voyage was only about 400 yards along to Tesco to rectify the provisions shortage and stock up on beer, wines and spirits :blink:

C31050606.jpg

Fifty quid lighter we were off, out of Kiddy and into unknown waters, and found it strange that, while we know our home town quite well, within minutes we didn’t recognise where we were. What houses are these? Which park’s that? Quite quickly into open countryside, we didn’t intend going far that first evening and only covered 4 miles, 4 locks to Cookley. Strange that, while I’ve driven through that village hundreds of times, I never realised the canal ran through a tunnel, deep below the high street, its pubs and shops. Moored up, climbed the steep bank to the high street and went to the chippy and the pub. Strange also, that you can completely relax and unwind in such a short time or distance. And so, our first night onboard.

C01060601.jpg

Thursday June 1st

Had a bit of a stroll first thing, went up into the village for a newspaper, had a fiddle about in the injin’ole to try to work out why the ‘charge’ light was staying lit, and moved off. We’ve walked or cycled quite a bit of the towpath around here, but it was still largely unfamiliar. I’ve been told that this end of the Staffs & Worcs. is some of the nicest canal in this country; on a warm sunny day I reckon it would take some beating.

Took our time and pottered along through Kinver, Stourton, Ashwood, Swindon etc. and on towards Wombourne.

I work in Wombourne, right by the cut, and regularly have a lunchtime stroll from Giggetty Bridge 44 up to the Bratch. There’s a pub, the Round Oak by Houndel Bridge 45, which seems ideal for families of pre-teens. I’ve worked within 200 yards of the place for 5 years and never been in, but had mentioned to our kids that they’d got a playground and a bouncy castle, so they thought it would be a good idea to stop there.

Passing by work, just before knocking-off time, Lynn said “the light’s come on on the toilet, does it need emptying?” so we tied up, I checked, it did, I removed the cassette and water started spraying everywhere (that’s clean water for the flush). Turned off the water pump and closed the stoptap.

I’ve taken flexible hose from water tank to water pump, then out to copper pipe, teed off to ktchen sink, water heater, bathroom basin, toilet and bathtaps/shower, hot from water heater to kitchen sink, basin and bath - quite a few connections. Most plumbing is subsequently rendered virtually inaccessible, but I have fitted around it with confidence in my plumbing abilities. The feed to the loo comes from copper pipe to flexible hose, then connected to the toilet with one of those Hep2o push fit connections that many on this forum seem to enthuse about. As the connection to toilet has a flow restrictor in the connector, this is the only connection on the entire boat that I have not made myself, and the only one which has failed, so you can stick ‘em! :blink:

Fortunately, I’d left all my plumbing gear onboard, so I’ve cut that connector out, shoved the flow restrictor farther down the hose and used a hose connector and jubilee clips. Sorted. We then went on just under the bridge and moored outside the pub. Hardly saw the kids again ‘til bedtime, and they didn’t want to come in then.

So, for families with pre-teens (or early teens that don’t act it, like our Ben); Round Oak, bridge 45, recommended. Kid-free zones inside. Meals sensibly priced (£5-6), long-term promo; Curry Club: Sufficient but not massive, tasty not fiery, choice of curries served with papadum, small naan, rice or chips, mango chutney, plus a pint or glass of wine or J2O or fizzy drink all for £4.95.

Unfortunately, it’s only Banks’s, but served by a pleasant young beer fairy with purple hair, minimal thighs and superstructure, unremarkable underwear, and another slightly but not vastly more senior with unremarkable thighs and minimal underwear (BSA superstructure, suitably enclosed but under thin white blouse, and uniform black trousers showing no evidence of VPL). I’m having serious reservations about the Deputy Snibble vacancy, as we obviously have radically differing views on the physical or lingerie requirements of beer fairies.

C01060602.jpg

Friday June 2nd:

Up and about early but couldn’t go anywhere (Bratch open 8am), so had a walk up to the Bratch, passing Mr. Bowjangles on the way. And someone lives on that. Chatted with some more early risers above the locks. All in all, very pleasant. Returned to boat, started first turn, untied and went up Bumblehole lock, arriving Bratch just before 8. Went to see what was happening, lock keeper had just unlocked top lock and a boat was starting down. Walked back down to bottom bridge and signalled to Lynn with a key-turning gesture and a hand-across-throat indication to cut the engine.

A few minutes later, as the descending boat was draining the bottom lock, with no more following down, I returned to the boat and tried to start her. Nothing. :lol:

Tried again and again, not a murmur

As I gave it another attempt, the chap now coming out of the lock called over “have you pushed the engine stop back in?” She hadn’t. :angry:

Pushed it in, started first turn, both learned a stupid lesson :)

Ascended the Bratch and, having identified a few minor requirements, proceeded on to Limekiln at Compton. Surprisingly, came out of there only thirty-something lighter, punted over towpath side, went to get stuff for lunch, icecreams etc.

Went up through one more lock and managed to turn quite easily in the next wide pound, then started back down. Charge light’s still on, though Volts staying constant at around 12.5, but in the off-charge section of the green.

Tied up somewhere in the middle of nowhere for a salad lunch and glass of wine or 3, and watched the world go by for a bit, then returned to the Round Oak. Cooked and ate onboard, but then lost kids ‘til bedtime again. Still no hot water even after stripping and cleaning Morco burners, then Lynn asked if I’d tried any other hot taps. I tried the bathroom basin. Flow rate much faster. Morco fired up instantly. Kitchen sink is fed through small-bore flexi-connector, but water pump sounds weak.

Saturday June 3rd:

I was up and out for a couple of mile walk before anyone else showed signs of life, then we started back towards home. We were making good progress until we hit Stourton around lunchtime, and then ran into a traffic jam. Hotel boats Oak and Ash and about four others. Cracked a beer, chatted with the other boaters, found a windlass and a roadworks sign with the seasearcher. Where else can you get stuck in traffic and enjoy it?

Oak, Ash and one other stopped in Kinver so we got through the rest quite easily.

The intention was to overshoot our moorings and have another night in Stourport, but the charge light was still on, volts were dipping below 12 and water pump was definitely struggling, so I declared a halt and we went home.

I’m not too hot on automotive-type electrix, so advice or pointers would be welcome.

Temperature needle had been very jittery and nudging into overheat territory on our first trip up the Severn, but I have trimmed, cleaned and remade the electrical connections there, and this time the needle stayed fixed at 85°C ±2

So, apart from an easily-fixed leak and some electrical niggles, and getting sunburnt shoulders, I’d say it was a very pleasant first outing. I suspect new batteries are called for before we attempt anything more ambitious though. It looks to me like we’ve got volts but precious few amps.

we obviously have radically differing views on the physical or lingerie requirements of beer fairies.

There are no particular physical requirements for beer fairies, nor a dress code. The one major requirement for a beer fairy is the beer, anything else is of minor importance.

Sounds like you had a great time, the summer stretches out before you!

Hi Moley

The description of your battery charging etc, would indicate a problem with the alternator or alternator wiring to the batteries, maybe internal.

You say that the batteries started at 12.5 volts whilst this is an idication that they were not fully charged (but almost) when you started, they finished at 12 makes me think that the batteries are probably OK.

The alternator may not be giving out a full chargeing rate but I think the connections and cleanliness of the wiring should be checked before you spend lots of money on replacement of batteries or alternator.

Happy sparking :angry:

problem with the alternator or alternator wiring to the batteries ... batteries are probably OK ... connections and cleanliness of the wiring should be checked before you spend lots of money on replacement of batteries or alternator.

From this and other thread going I would agree.

I suspect batteries are ‘iffy’ but not entirely shot.

Please hold any further discussion for now and give me chance to clean and check everything, I'll get back to everyone.

Congratulations on your maiden voyage. I trust you cracked a suitable bottle or three to celebrate.

When we first started boating, it used to amaze me how we could be in the middle of an area we thought we knew really well, and didn't have a clue where we were. It all looks different from the cut (and that includes the people).

Glad to see you didn't spend the whole time relaxing but found time to carry out a little academic research on the state of (or lack of) the native's underwear.

I trust you cracked a suitable bottle or three to celebrate.

Several :angry:
Glad to see you ... found time to carry out a little academic research on the state of (or lack of) the natives' underwear.

Purely so I could report back to Snibble.

I'm sure you understand. :blink:

Purely so I could report back to Snibble.

But did you explain the humanitarian purpose behind your research to Mrs Mole and, if so, how did she react? If you chose silence as the better option what's she going to say when she reads your trip report? :P

If you chose silence as the better option what's she going to say when she reads your trip report? tongue.gif

But as I keep pointing out to my wife, it is when I STOP looking appraising the nubile young ladies is when she has to start worrying. :P