Engine suitable for canals/rivers/estuary

hillbilly

Featured Posts

You will get as many answers as there are engines but for me Beta of course I am biased because that is what my boat has.

More importantly the engine should match the boat, as should the propeller match the boat and the engine.

Best for what ?

All engines that are 45 hp are... well... 45 hp ....

I imagine there is little to choose from as regards economy, some may claim theirs is "best" for a reason, but the best will be the one that suits your criteria closest. Personally I would choose one that is a recent design, has been proved reliable over a couple or so years and has sold in big quantities for the purpose intended.

( mine is also a Beta ( a "43" )

Nick

:lol:

Edited by Nickhlx

What would be best engine make (40-45hp) for doing canals and rivers and the odd estuary i.e Thames to Medway?

Well I would point out that Vetus told me on the phone that their (Mitsubishi) engines must not be run out of gear for long and it is reported warranty claims have been been refuse on that basis. This implies a poor choice for canal work.

I also think we need to know what type of boat you are talking about and your seamanship skills - i.e. working the tides etc.

For any large river or sea work I would want to be sure I could easily get at all the parts that might go wrong and on that score I would be wary of the Beta if they still obstruct the starter with the long length of angle iron. Otherwise I think you could do a awful lot worse than Beta or Nanni - both Kubota based.

What about a nice expensive real marine engine in the Bukh DV48 :lol:

What about the gearbox - members have had interesting experiences with Technodrive and I would not be over happy with a Hurth for sea work (based on reputation only - a high power one may be fine I suspect).

We have an Isuzu in our boat, and have run it hard many times. We have pushed the Trent (and many other rivers) in flood flat out all day, and has really done us proud.

Some video here:

I also prefer the sound of an old thumper, and with the correct reduction box there should be no reason why you can't put on in a modern boat.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

I also prefer the sound of an old thumper, and with the correct reduction box there should be no reason why you can't put on in a modern boat.

Crowther told me that they could make a propeller equivalent to a larger diameter but to fit a 20 inch skeg so it's not impossible.

What would be best engine make (40-45hp) for doing canals and rivers and the odd estuary i.e Thames to Medway?

Well, it depends entirely on what type of engine you are into. If you're talking a modern engine then I agree that any Kubota based engine or an Isuzu would be good. I really rated a a Beta 75 (Kubota based) that I had on a wide beam of mine. Supern engine IMHO.

On the other hand, if you want something thumping and with pedigree then I also rate a Gardner (not cheap, but lovely heritage).

Depends a lot on your own preferences for the boat of your choice of course.

Roger

Gardners had no pedigree on inland waters except a few semi-diesels and therefore if this is not a consideration or requirement for historic accuracy there is only one engine....................the mighty Kelvin K3 or for those of a more sensitive nature a K2.

Gardners had no pedigree on inland waters except a few semi-diesels and therefore if this is not a consideration or requirement for historic accuracy there is only one engine....................the mighty Kelvin K3 or for those of a more sensitive nature a K2

Gardners had no pedigree on inland waters except a few semi-diesels and therefore if this is not a consideration or requirement for historic accuracy there is only one engine....................the mighty Kelvin K3 or for those of a more sensitive nature a K2.

Gardners had no pedigree on inland waters except a few semi-diesels and therefore if this is not a consideration or requirement for historic accuracy there is only one engine....................the mighty Kelvin K3 or for those of a more sensitive nature a K2

Alnwick would agree: http://www.grahamoliver.com/gallery/k3/k3.htm :lol:

Who ever said I was talking about canal heritage!

Who ever said I was talking about canal heritage! :lol:

Roger

I like the Vetus (Mitsubishi) engine in my boat, but am not impressed with the Technodrive gearbox fitted by Vetus. On that basis I would choose a different engine for inland waterways another time.

Edited by Guest

Who ever said I was talking about canal heritage!

Who ever said I was talking about canal heritage! :lol:

Roger

Actually Gardners were used in small numbers in working Narrow Boats, rather more in working Short Boats etc., so they probably do have a slightly better claim to authenticity than Kelvins.

Actually Gardners were used in small numbers in working Narrow Boats, rather more in working Short Boats etc., so they probably do have a slightly better claim to authenticity than Kelvins.

Tim

Tim

Most certainly better claim than a K3 or K2.

Most certainly better claim than a K3 or K2.

Roger/Roger :lol:

I like the Vetus (Mitsubishi) engine in my boat, but am not impressed with the Technodrive gearbox fitted by Vetus. On that basis I would choose a different engine for inland waterways another time.

I believe you can get a real gearbox on a Vetus/Mitsubishi by paynig a bit more :lol:

Tim

Maybe biased but i would certainly have another Volvo Penta (and no they are not all huge lumps, they do tame versions as well for smaller less power hungry craft). Super reliablity, economical and grunty, spares are easy to come by and any muppet can work on them easily. Plus they come in a rather fetching shade of green.

We have an Isuzu in our boat, and have run it hard many times. We have pushed the Trent (and many other rivers) in flood flat out all day, and has really done us proud.

Some video here:

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike, What size engine do you have? Very impressed with the videos.

had a 22hp lister HA2 in my last boat 70' long 2'3" draught never had any trouble on the Trent even at trent falls or the Thames below the barrier (only been down to, through barrier and back)

even on a rising spring tide we managed to get into the Victoria Lock at Goole with maximum rev's (victoria lock is at an approx 120 degree angle off the Ouse)

had a 22hp lister HA2 in my last boat 70' long 2'3" draught never had any trouble on the Trent even at trent falls or the Thames below the barrier (only been down to, through barrier and back)

even on a rising spring tide we managed to get into the Victoria Lock at Goole with maximum rev's (victoria lock is at an approx 120 degree angle off the Ouse)

Would anyone recomend the Lister LPWS4 (Alpha range).? the engine is 40Hp at 3000 rpm producing 100Nm torque at around 1500 Rpm. Lister also offer a 5 year waranty.

Hi Mike, What size engine do you have? Very impressed with the videos.

Hi,

The engine on Kismet is an Isuzu 42:

http://www.hmiengines.co.uk/Default.aspx?PageIndex=10015

It's 1.7 l unit, which with the Crowthers high efficiency (read large blade area) prop maxs out at 2400 RPM.

Interestingly I had chance to compare it with the Lister JP2 (22hp at 1200 rpm, about 3 litre swept volume) in Victoria this year, and found both boats managed similar performance. However Victoria is a little under prop'd.

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by mykaskin

I really rated a a Beta 75 (Kubota based) that I had on a wide beam of mine. Supern engine IMHO.

Roger

Indeed!

So why do you need a Beta 90 in your 53ft barge? :lol:

Mr Goggins mighty 61ft6ins 35 ton barge knocknagow goes like a rocket with his new JCB based 82HP Mermaid J444... and with the Shannon in flood.

Indeed!

So why do you need a Beta 90 in your 53ft barge? :lol:

Mr Goggins mighty 61ft6ins 35 ton barge knocknagow goes like a rocket with his new JCB based 82HP Mermaid J444... and with the Shannon in flood.

'Cos it's a bigger boat and a Beta 90 is the standard fit engine (and I might also have to go like a rocket on some of the bigger French waterways). Simples.

Roger