Big Sell Off a little nearer?

john4647

Featured Posts

Not sure what can be done to reverse this trend to destroy the system.

Once decisions have been made surely it is almost impossible to change.

Can no one with influence see what damage this 'sell off' will cause.

Please don't jump down my neck for the above but I feel that there's nowt I can do apart from writting to my MP again.

Martyn

Please don't jump down my neck for the above but I feel that there's nowt I can do apart from writting to my MP again.

Martyn

The forum could always set up an online petition on http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

and have a link on all the emails we send - just a thought

Tullz

i honestly don't know what can be done short of armed revolution that will have any effect. the worrying thing for me is the way the broadcast i half heard this morning on radio news seemed to be introducing all the weasel words like 'costs the taxpayer' etc. seems as if the ground is being prepared, setting stock phrases in place so that public opinion will be partially influenced before the public debate is opened. that way the average voter is already halfway convinced of the need to sell. after all, we might be seen by a fair proportion of the community to be gin swilling yachty types in our cashmere sweaters, regardless of the reality. and after the banking and mp. expenses stories of the past year or so maybe the crowd are already sniffing around for the next trail of blood.

i can only hope somebody sees some sense or the cut is going to end up tarmaced over for roads.

yes, let's organise a petition, but let's make it good and make it consistent. it also helps to deluge your mp.s with mails and request an answer. there is a listing of you local reps on, i think, the government website. i hope somebody who knows where will be along soon 'cause i really can't recall where it is. i'll have a little google and edit it in if i find it.

nice for a sunday morning hey?

cheers

nigel

edit to add FIND YOUR MP

Edited by capnthommo

Canal users [boaters, fishermen, cylclists, walkers] don't want the canals stripped of their assets, A vast number of MP's don't want it. Those employed by the waterways don't want it. Boat builders don't want it. Marina's don't want it. Chanderleries don't want it.

I won't go on & on, but tell me 'Who does want it, apart from Brown so that he can squander yet more of our money' :lol:

Petition on here and everybody petition their MP's and anyone else they think might help.

WE CAN DO SOMETHING, but not if we sit back and pathetically say, 'But what can I do'

Together we can do a bl**dy lot.

Rant over.

Edit to add. Could someone set up a CF petition?

Edited by johnjo

Canal users [boaters, fishermen, cylclists, walkers] don't want the canals stripped of their assets, A vast number of MP's don't want it. Those employed by the waterways don't want it. Boat builders don't want it. Marina's don't want it. Chanderleries don't want it.

I won't go on & on, but tell me 'Who does want it, apart from Brown so that he can squander yet more of our money' :lol:

The Taxpayers Alliance sound pretty keen if the timing is right

Times clicky

Of course if the Quango who run BW do loose their money or mess what they have up they can always go to equally well paid jobs while those that actually know and love the cut are left with the mess from politicians and Defra seniors plus the quango members.

Martyn

Well folks I did mention this several months ago .....but it seemed to fall on deaf ears ........labour is only interested in plugging the large holes in their ever growing public debts. on the flip side I wonder how long it would take a tory goverment to sell the lot off ..?? If there are MPS left who have not be forced to resign after the expenses SCANDAL ..... but alas who the hell would take on the network in its current state and try and force all to comply .. after the IWA have failed in doing so for decades ...Goverment as such is not interested in any heritage at all only ready cash assets so they will sell all NWA property and employees cottages and then come to a grinding halt when nobody wants the actual network ..

yours slammer

All things considered; for every pound of tax money the canals use, they put 4.something back. Thats including fishing, cycling, boats, walkers etc

Say that to your MP.

Martyn

Petition on here and everybody petition their MP's and anyone else they think might help.

WE CAN DO SOMETHING, but not if we sit back and pathetically say, 'But what can I do'

Together we can do a bl**dy lot.

Rant over.

Edit to add. Could someone set up a CF petition?

Also you can write to your MP.

Martyn

Edited by Nightwatch1

i think a sell off is inevitable but more likely under a Tory Government, Cameron has already singled out the salaries of BW executives as being over the top, this would indicate that he has had a close look at BW.

I also don't think the public would a problem with a sell off ask most people would you rather millions was pumped into the canal system or money better put into hospitals and schools I think I know what they would say.

Saving BW is not a vote winner for any government. We should prepare for the sell off, it will happen.

Would I be right in saying that once the property portfolio has been deposited, BW can become a trust? Turning it into a charity seems the best hope for us..

this has been looked at but unfortunately unless you can find some way of charging everyone that uses the canal system the income would never cover the cost of maintenance. Boaters already pay fishermen already pay so that just leaves the walkers.

The model that was suggested was the same as the National Trust this is self funding as charging people to visit houses is far easier than trying to charge people for walking along a muddy towpath.

Surely as a trust/charity that would leave us more wriggle room to have volounteers and work parties for sections? It's got to be better than selling the water to electricity companies...

Kez you are right trouble is needs a lot more than wriggle room for volunteers it needs lots of money. If licences were increased to £1,500.00 per boat this would raise about £45 million not enough even for maintenance. With no government funding things look bleak.

Kez you are right trouble is needs a lot more than wriggle room for volunteers it needs lots of money. If licences were increased to £1,500.00 per boat this would raise about £45 million not enough even for maintenance. With no government funding things look bleak.

Everything needs lots of money now :lol:

Again, as is my slightly vague understanding; Isn't there a tight corner meaning that volounteer work can only be done with BWs blessing or something on those lines? I recall being told by someone that it was made difficult by (This is the bit I can't remember) a something that would be cured by the whole thing being turned into a charity, thereby removing the problem?

I could be wrong, I was distracted at the time by a wooden boat going by...

I'm no good at thread clicks, but I just put up a thread with a link to the MP I mentioned earlier.

Tim Boswell is the Tory MP for Dav.

An MEP with his eye on Parliament will make soothing noises on every subject.

Also, any Tory who is opposed to the selling off of the family silver should have "Hypocrite" tattoed on his forehead and ridiculed at every opportunity.