G.M. NARROWBOATS

Athy

Featured Posts

I recently saw an interesting boat advertised for sale. She was apparently built in the '70s by a firm called G.M. Narrowboats, about whom I know nothing. Can anyone enlighten me, please?

Nor, I'll admit, do I

A scan of the Jim Shead boat lists reveals a handful by GM Marine or GM Engineering, but nothing by GM Narrowboats....

Was this a shortish boat like these, I wonder, (or even one of these) ?

MULE Built by GM ENGINEERING CO - Length 10.06 metres (33 feet ) - Beam 2.14 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.62 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 33BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 68868 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

PATRICIA Built by GM MARINE - Length 11.89 metres (39 feet ) - Beam 2.08 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) Metal hull, power of 999BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 71399 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19/04/2008.

ROCK N ROLL Built by GM MARINE - Length 12.2 metres (40 feet ) - Beam 2.09 metres (6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft 0.69 metres (2 feet 3 inches ) Metal hull, power of 999BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 71399 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

Actually in "The Inland Boat Owner's Book", (Booth, it says this.....

GM Engineering

Black Country engineering company that diversified into sturdy, good-looking, tug-style narrowboats in the late seventies/early eighties.

Does that description come close to the boat you saw, I wonder ?

Edited by alan_fincher

Nor, I'll admit, do I

A scan of the Jim Shead boat lists reveals a handful by GM Marine or GM Engineering, but nothing by GM Narrowboats....

Was this a shortish boat like these, I wonder, (or even one of these) ?

MULE Built by GM ENGINEERING CO - Length 10.06 metres (33 feet ) - Beam 2.14 metres (7 feet ) - Draft 0.62 metres (2 feet ) Metal hull, power of 33BHP. Registered with British Waterways number 68868 as a Powered. Last registration recorded on 19-May-09.

Hi

There was boat called 'Mule' moored next to me at the Cowroast from 1989 until about 1992, it was neglected and in poor condition, size wise it fits the description. It was sold and I last saw it about a year after this sale down at Cassiobury park. Had a cruiser stern.

Athy, don't be put off by a lack of knowledge about a boat, I purchased a one off trad. style boat built and fitted out by the owner, it was really good, carefully built and well fitted out in Oak (the guy was a cabinet maker).

We used it for about 16 years and it quickly came under offer when we sold it.

Hope that helps..

Leo

It does indeed, thanks. O.K., my terminological inexactitude perhaps, it may have been "Engineering" rather than "Narrowboats" but it was definitely G.M. and that sounds like them. The boat is a 40 footer called Remus.

Our first boat 'Octavia' was built by Atlas and I have only ever seen one other built by them, but it was sturdy and quite handsome (from some angles) and we had great times on it for three or four years.

That 'Rock'n'Roll' must be a powerful craft!

Edited by Athy

Hi

GM Engineering was run in Wednesbury by Bill Gregory and later by his son Tony. They were boating enthusiasts in the 60s and onward and several traditional and tug style boats were built there from the 70's to the 90s when the firm closed due to local redevelopment of the area. Tony Gregory has been a lifelong canal enthusiast (I've known him from the 60s) and owned the Josher Tench until a few years ago. At one time they collaborated with the late Chris Lloyd, a notable fitter of the time) producing shells for him to fit. The tug "Tamar No2 " was one such, I recall the tug Valiant as another. I'd describe the detailing as chunkily industrial. They were engineers first then boatbuilders.

Cheers

Dave

Thank you Dave. I assume that Mr. Gregory senior was the "G" in G.M. Is anyone in touch with Tony Gregory? I would like to find out more about 'Remus', such as original plating thickness, whether the engine is the original, and whether it was built using the stern of an old working boat (from the photos I've seen the shape is similar to that of some working boats).

Edited by Athy

Hi Athy

I saw Tony Gregory on Saturday and spoke to him about Remus. If you pm me I'll forward contact details and some info from my inbox from him.

Cheers

Dave

What a star you are Dave! pm imminent.

Mike

I understand GM narrowboats (formerly "Genetically Modified Narrowboats") were the first boatbuilders to successfully produce the Clonecraft.

:lol:

I owned and lived on a 55ft traditional style narrow boat, built by GM Engineering, for 12 years. it was built in the mid eighties and was a nice solid boat, well built with engineering being the main focus of the design. NB Tiger served me well over the years.

I have an idea that Gregory Marine, if it was the same company, built some cruiser style boats for a hire company in the seventies but I'm not sure the exact details.

Off topic but I can't help noticing that Carlt is using the word 'him' to descibe god in the signature. Why the gender preference?

Off topic but I can't help noticing that Carlt is using the word 'him' to descibe god in the signature. Why the gender preference?

You'd have to ask Epicurus, who I have quoted.

Sadly he died in the first century BCE so I doubt he'll answer.

It is interesting, however, that he comes from a culture that had many gods, both male and female and, also, he was one of the early exponents of egalitarianism, allowing females to attend his school, so it may well be that a translator chose to assign a gender.

You'd have to ask Epicurus, who I have quoted.

Sadly he died in the first century BCE so I doubt he'll answer.

It is interesting, however, that he comes from a culture that had many gods, both male and female and, also, he was one of the early exponents of egalitarianism, allowing females to attend his school, so it may well be that a translator chose to assign a gender.

ta

I rather wish I could, now that I've read a little about his philosophy. I think I'm an Epicurean.

Me too! I printed it out to show a guy I work with who wanted to become a priest! I await the outcome :lol:

Sorry, way :lol:

Hi

GM Engineering was run in Wednesbury by Bill Gregory and later by his son Tony. They were boating enthusiasts in the 60s and onward and several traditional and tug style boats were built there from the 70's to the 90s when the firm closed due to local redevelopment of the area. Tony Gregory has been a lifelong canal enthusiast (I've known him from the 60s) and owned the Josher Tench until a few years ago. At one time they collaborated with the late Chris Lloyd, a notable fitter of the time) producing shells for him to fit. The tug "Tamar No2 " was one such, I recall the tug Valiant as another. I'd describe the detailing as chunkily industrial. They were engineers first then boatbuilders.

Cheers

Dave

Hiya Dave, Valiant was mine, built for me by Tony in about 1990 I think, fitted out by the late great Chris (Genghis) Lloyd, who instigated and monitored the design. The JP2 was from Keays. It wasn't a bad boat, and Ted ---? from Norbury made a few like it afterwards. Later I got very very drunk with a mate of mine in Sybil's at Audlem and swapped it with him, plus a few quid, for Lynx. As you do. Happy daze...

:lol:

I owned and lived on a 55ft traditional style narrow boat, built by GM Engineering, for 12 years. it was built in the mid eighties and was a nice solid boat, well built with engineering being the main focus of the design. NB Tiger served me well over the years.

I have an idea that Gregory Marine, if it was the same company, built some cruiser style boats for a hire company in the seventies but I'm not sure the exact details.

I don't object to the gender ascribed which is entirely correct, but I do feel that capitisation is in order.

It has been relisted on ebay for £12000, seems a bit steep for a 34 year old boat needing work

Yes, I saw that and I am puzzled. I considered bidding but decided not to when I found another project boat which suited me better. Three people did bid, taking the price up from the initial £7,500 to £8,000 which I should think is about right for a boat of that age and in that condition. Now it appears that, instead of selling the boat to the highest bidder, he's relisted it at an unrealistically high price. I reckon he could be a very disappointed bunny.

I just wonder why he has done this; perhaps a deep-seated human emotion called "greed"?

Hi John

1990? I recall seeing Valiant at Norbury in 1984, last seen on the Leicester section in a marina. Nice boat. Compared with much modern output, she's a cracker..not as Paul would say "another F####### green boat"

Cheers

Dave

Hiya Dave,

Just seen this, and you're absolutely correct-I appear to have lost 10 years. It was about 1981, and Genghis Lloyd fitted her out for me.

Predictably, the 40-footer which triggered this thread has failed to sell again. I just can't imagine what the seller was thinking - he got an offer of £8,000 for it last time it was advertised, rejected it and put it back on eBay at £12,000. He is now, no doubt, surprised that no one offered to pay an extra £4,000 for it. Strangely, I am not.

It still looks an interesting project with a good shape, if only the seller would be realistic someone could get on with the job of renovating it!

• 1 month later...

Well, me cyaan believe it! Remus is back, this time priced even higher!! The seller's name has now changed from "David" to "Huw", so perhaps it's now being offered through a broker. So its price has gone up from £7,500 to £14,950 in two months, roughly a 95% increase. Put your boats on the market, folks, you're sure to make a fortune. Not sure that "Huw" will, though.

EDIT: it's for sale on Apollo Duck. Form an orderly queue now....

Edited by Athy