mooring port or starbord

number four

Featured Posts

ok so in a chanel we are suposed to pass port to port.

this makes for boats to travel on the starbord side of the channel.

but as the name infers most seem to moor port to. as we no longer have a stering board to make this a nesesaty.

from my experance locks seem to operate opposit to this

i wonder if its the influance of our roads

perhaps those with experance of eu waters can coment.

so

what is your preferance and why.

:lol:

As a general rule, don't you moor bow upstream on rivers?

Martyn

It is good practice to moor into the flow on a river to aid manouvering. Although if the wind is blowing stonger than the flow is, well flowing, but in the opposite direction, it can be better to moor into the wind.

I always moor on the towpath side.

Richard

I always moor where there is enough spare space, doesnt really matter which side.

may be my background is getting in the way. sorry to confuse.

moring facing up streem still gives choice of port or starbord.

lets asume there is a choice

lets pretend then

you have turned of the waterway into a marina loads or space plenty of room to turn etc

no wind for your stay no external reason to influance choice.

now!

which port or starbord and why. :lol:

as to locks

its a big double lock (not nb waters) most people seem to go port to when the lock is empty and they have a choice

this would meen as you aproch lock move to pass out going trafic port to port

then moor port to

then leave lock moveing over to pass incoming trafic port to port.

or does no one bother with col regs :lol:

my sailing boat has the helm on the port side so we more port to as my vis and acces is better for docking.

Ok shall have another bite at it then :lol:

In our marina we moor Port side to the mooring as that is what side our finger pontoon is on. Given the choice in any other marina we would chose to do the same as the door at the back of our cruiser is on that side.

As for locks, now we have a wider beam boat so need both gates opening to enter locks. As to which side we use that is down to the OH as he is driving, but i would say we use both sides equally as much. It all depends on which way the wind or the OH have taken the boat. There is no science to it. The bigger manned locks we use often have other boats in them as well so it is a case of slotting in around them.

ok so in a chanel we are suposed to pass port to port.

this makes for boats to travel on the starbord side of the channel.

but as the name infers most seem to moor port to. as we no longer have a stering board to make this a nesesaty.

from my experance locks seem to operate opposit to this

i wonder if its the influance of our roads

perhaps those with experance of eu waters can coment.

so

what is your preferance and why.

:lol:

Right been looking at this and as others got a bit lost with it but think i might have it.

1.What they saying is that when you traveling along the canal you travel on the right side of the canal.

2.when you moor do you have to moor on port side or starboard side.

3.Locks all boats seam to be on same side going different directions.

answer

2. there is no rule as I can see from all the reading I been doing saying you have to moor on port or starboard side, as said by someone else it is good practice to moor into the flowing water which makes it easier and safer to moor. This isnt always possible has you might have a 70' boat and are unable to turn the boat around.

3. this normal seams the case as there is only one towpath so boats will end up on the same side to wait for other boats to move away from locks just need to be safe and make sure other boater know what you are intending to do.

I think this is what you where after.

I always moor on the towpath side.

Richard

True. You are heading the way you are heading so if you stop you moor up on the towpath whether it be port or starboard hand. At locks you use whatever laybye is provided usually on the towpath side. In broad locks you use whatever side seems most expedient, sometimes the wind is a major factor. Its OK to pass the wrong side especially around locks as long as both parties grasp that is what is intended/going on. I doubt road use in terms of being opposite has had any influence nor the nauticalities of the past and steering boards or whatever. I guess each boat has some individualism which makes one side seem better than the other or mean that when at its more permanent moorings one side is favoured. For me it is that the aerial when stowed is more of a nuisance to embarking from one side rather than the other!

Right been looking at this and as others got a bit lost with it but think i might have it.

1.What they saying is that when you traveling along the canal you travel on the right side of the canal.

2.when you moor do you have to moor on port side or starboard side.

3.Locks all boats seam to be on same side going different directions.

answer

2. there is no rule as I can see from all the reading I been doing saying you have to moor on port or starboard side, as said by someone else it is good practice to moor into the flowing water which makes it easier and safer to moor. This isnt always possible has you might have a 70' boat and are unable to turn the boat around.

3. this normal seams the case as there is only one towpath so boats will end up on the same side to wait for other boats to move away from locks just need to be safe and make sure other boater know what you are intending to do.

I think this is what you where after.

not realy i am not seking advice as to what i should do.

i am asking what you all do and why

because it is an observation of mine that the inland water ways work aposed to the col regs

why is the toe path on the wrong side as far as col reg go?

i turn my boat round to starbord to if i want to run my gen as it exausts to port.

my new boat will be much more semetric so thats what got me thinking about the subject it wont mater which side i go.

and i have most of my boating experance on the tidal system.

because it is an observation of mine that the inland water ways work aposed to the col regs

i turn my boat round to starbord to if i want to run my gen as it exausts to port.

my new boat will be much more semetric so thats what got me thinking about the subject it wont mater which side i go.

So what you want then is:- The wife prefers a mooring where we are port side to so that when the side hatch is open you are looking onto the water rather than gongoozleers or dog muck on the towpath.

taking just the lock scenario...

on entering a big lock with no boats I would normally make for the left hand side because that is the side the throttle lever is on, so I can look down the side at the same time as controlling the throttle, this makes it easier to stop the other end next to something that Val can put a rope round.

If there are boats in I aim for a space.

On some Severn locks, when ascending, the keeper will tell you which side to go in on. At Diglis large lock he wants you on the right as the water will push you there anyway.

taking just the lock scenario...

on entering a big lock with no boats I would normally make for the left hand side because that is the side the throttle lever is on, so I can look down the side at the same time as controlling the throttle, this makes it easier to stop the other end next to something that Val can put a rope round.

If there are boats in I aim for a space.

On some Severn locks, when ascending, the keeper will tell you which side to go in on. At Diglis large lock he wants you on the right as the water will push you there anyway.

so for you the boat layout is the deciding factor

and for phylis

he is the smart car of the waterways but with one door :lol:

can any one answer my col regs question?

Not logical! The towpath is on one side of the canal which may be the left or right depending which way you are travelling. Nothing to do with colregs.

In broad locks when one gate has been opened by my crew, that gate will usually be on the towpath side, so that will be the side I go in. Whether I stay that side or not will depend mainly on the wind.

If both gates are open for me to go in, particularly if this is because another boat will be following me in, when there is no wind I usually go to the right because the prop-wash will walk the stern of the boat in to the right-hand side. If there is a wind, and I need to hold still to wait for another boat, I'll go to the downwind side if going down the lock, but the upwind side when going up because the wind whistles round to blow in the opposite direction inside an empty lock.

As the towpath physically changes sides, regularly, and the side it is on is dependent on the direction you're travelling, how can it possibly abide by the col regs?

If you find the TP is on the wrong side and the next winding hole is 5 miles further along the cut, do you travel those 10 miles, in order to be pointing the "right" way?

He is a she, the name gives it away :lol:

I thought he is a she is a car?

Not logical! The towpath is on one side of the canal which may be the left or right depending which way you are travelling. Nothing to do with colregs.

In broad locks when one gate has been opened by my crew, that gate will usually be on the towpath side, so that will be the side I go in. Whether I stay that side or not will depend mainly on the wind.

If both gates are open for me to go in, particularly if this is because another boat will be following me in, when there is no wind I usually go to the right because the prop-wash will walk the stern of the boat in to the right-hand side. If there is a wind, and I need to hold still to wait for another boat, I'll go to the downwind side if going down the lock, but the upwind side when going up because the wind whistles round to blow in the opposite direction inside an empty lock.

so that has exposed my inland waters ignorance thanks (so which side do you favor in the marina senario)

phylis my humble apoliges i thoght people did not use real names as handles thought it might be boat name

(i should know better as im named after a phylis)