Chalice is travelling.

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

Having worked long and hard to......

1) Repair sheared engine mount bolt

2) Change water expansion arrangements on the engine

3) Repair the stove

4) (By far biggest job!) Strip out stove, tiling & heat-proofing, and completely replace, (also seal chimney leaks)

.... we think we have earned a break!

Now boating south down the Grand Union, and spent first night at Fishery Lock, near Hemel Hempstead. At the moment it's me and son David, as "Catrin" is working, but spent last night with us, (if you see someone trying to get up a steep hill on an inadequate bike in Hemel this morning, please don't laugh!).

We saw forum boats Old Friends and Victoria (Royalty motor), but the only member in the flesh was Chris (Batavia) - the lettering out looks superb, by the way, Chris.

So give us a wave, if you see us. We will probably be somewhere near Iron Bridge (Watford) tonight, and possibly Uxbridge on Saturday night, (we have a wedding to get to in Alperton on Sunday, as you do, by narrow boat).

Hopefully we'll get the blog going again.....

Alan, David & Cath

We saw forum boats Old Friends and Victoria (Royalty motor), but the only member in the flesh was Chris (Batavia) - the lettering out looks superb, by the way, Chris.

I suppose for re-assurance I should say that on day 1 Owl and Hampton (Koukouvagia) and Rallentando (BullFrog) were still safely on their moorings, as was Lincoln (Strads) on day 2

We had an "interesting" day yesterday, as whilst David and I were involved in the allegedly more dangerous practice of trying to move the boat south, "herself" was busy injuring herself as work. Long story, involving staircases, paramedics, ambulances and "urgent care unit", but it certainly sounded like our holiday was about to end abruptly.

In fact. somewhat amazingly, Catrin is now re-installed aboard, and hobbling around, (can't work locks, so must do the steering - should keep sueb happy!).

Details to follow in blog, eventually, I'm sure.

Still above the infamously slow filling Iron Bridge lock, hoping rain may subside. Possible target tonight is Uxbridge, if we can avoid further incidents.

Porridge is nearly ready, I'm informed. :lol:

Alan, Cath & David

Enjoy the trip

Catrin appears to have taken this statement quite the wrong way - don't think she enjoyed yesterday's trip at all!

I suppose for re-assurance I should say that on day 1 Owl and Hampton (Koukouvagia) and Rallentando (BullFrog) were still safely on their moorings, as was Lincoln (Strads) on day 2

You missed me on day 1 :lol:

You missed me on day 1 :lol:

You are correct - I knew that and meant to put you in my list of amendments.

Just passed "Mrs Baldock" on Baldock above Denham Deep, but I'm fairly convinced she didn't recognise us.

But the paint-job does look fabulous, "Baldocks" - very nice indeed.

Now at Uxbridge.

You are correct - I knew that and meant to put you in my list of amendments.

Just passed "Mrs Baldock" on Baldock above Denham Deep, but I'm fairly convinced she didn't recognise us.

But the paint-job does look fabulous, "Baldocks" - very nice indeed.

Now at Uxbridge.

get that blog running alan, i need some reading for night duty :lol:

get that blog running alan, i need some reading for night duty :lol:

Your wish is our command!

First two days of this trip, including the whole sad story of yesterday, now published, thanks to free wi-fi at the General Elliot.

I'm even starting to be amused by the Karaoke - time to stop drinking, methinks!

Your wish is our command!

First two days of this trip, including the whole sad story of yesterday, now published, thanks to free wi-fi at the General Elliot.

I'm even starting to be amused by the Karaoke - time to stop drinking, methinks!

Cheers shipmate, a few more sherberts and those old frank sinatra songs roll out of the voicebox ever so sweetly

Cheers shipmate, a few more sherberts and those old frank sinatra songs roll out of the voicebox ever so sweetly

Apparently I got it wrong!

Last night at the General Elliot was a proper singer - perhaps why she wasn't bad at all.

It turned out to be tonight that's Karaoke - some of it still pretty good, but some at best an "acquired taste".

We are still outside the General Elliot, although did travel briefly earlier to charge batteries and heat water.

For the very first time in a long while, the blog is fully up to date, (link in signature). It won't last, I tell you!

Where's this morning's entry then? Up to date?? Pah...

Richard

And thank you for the description of your friends wedding. Really interesting and a great contrast to some of the other threads on here at the moment.

And thank you for the description of your friends wedding. Really interesting and a great contrast to some of the other threads on here at the moment.

Agreed, multi-culture at it's best. Sounds like you had Hindu/Muslim and other faiths, and probably some no faith at all, joining together to celebrate a wedding in a peaceful way, with everyone having a good time. Lot more peaceful than it's been on here recently!

David

Not seeing many forum boats.

We generally see Tafelberg, but it never appears occupied, so no change today.

Even the Baldocks, it seems, were not at their home mooring, (unless I just wasn't paying attention).

One favourite moment of the day was waiting for working boat Arundel to pass through a bridge just before it's unloading point. The front seems to actually get drawn down, (or at least masked by a build up of water around the bows), and the boat really shows very little free-board at all. I'd be interested what tonnage is typically carried, but it looks more than a motor boat might routinely have done in the past - most impressive!

Also a bit out of the ordinary for us was that it was well dark as we tackled out final lock. It was one ones with more than a 9 foot fall, and I was amazed how much deeper they look from inside at night.

Sadly we are now very much on our home run - probably home on Saturday, now :lol:

Alan

Not seeing many forum boats.

One favourite moment of the day was waiting for working boat Arundel to pass through a bridge just before it's unloading point. The front seems to actually get drawn down, (or at least masked by a build up of water around the bows), and the boat really shows very little free-board at all. I'd be interested what tonnage is typically carried, but it looks more than a motor boat might routinely have done in the past - most impressive!

Alan

Hi Alan, you must have passed us yesterday also, we are moored just south of Harefield.

Agree, Arundel loaded is very impressive, a couple of recent photos here: http://www.nb-anon.com/Diaries/0910_Oct/Di...26_Uxbridge.php

Happy cruising, glad you had such great weather for your trip.

Alan

Richard says he usually carries 30 tons (or maybe tonnes), I understand the 'normal' town class motor loading max is 39 tons, but you couldn't run with that much on for fear of sinking (if you didn't already manage that just loading up!).

Even back in the day, it would be rare for town class motors to have 30 tons on board as there isn't really the depth further north, but along here it's as deep as you like (6 foot?).

Mike

Richard says he usually carries 30 tons (or maybe tonnes), I understand the 'normal' town class motor loading max is 39 tons, but you couldn't run with that much on for fear of sinking (if you didn't already manage that just loading up!).

Even back in the day, it would be rare for town class motors to have 30 tons on board as there isn't really the depth further north, but along here it's as deep as you like (6 foot?).

Mike

Thanks Mike,

Yes, I appreciate that it's the short trip in relatively deep water that makes it possible.

Guess I'm kind of surprised it's not even more than 30 ton(ne)s.

I don't think it would make it along the much depleted Tring summit at the moment, certainly.

Guess I'm kind of surprised it's not even more than 30 ton(ne)s.

We also spoke to Richard about the weight of his load earlier in the year when we passed him near Cowley, he told us he was carrying 30 tonnes at the time.

Another photo can be found here:

http://www.nb-anon.com/Diaries/0908_Aug/Di...17_Uxbridge.php

I don't think it would make it along the much depleted Tring summit at the moment, certainly.

According to BW, the low levels on the Tring Summit – caused by depleted Marsworth reservoirs and a badly leaking gate at Cowroast - have repercussions as far as the pound between Leighton Lock and Soulbury. The levels here were a good eighteen inches down recently and I had a real struggle making it to the locks. Oh dear, I churned up the mud for about 500 yards and spoilt several fishermen's day. :lol:

According to BW, the low levels on the Tring Summit – caused by depleted Marsworth reservoirs and a badly leaking gate at Cowroast - have repercussions as far as the pound between Leighton Lock and Soulbury.

Do you know if that's why the "draw a paddle" / "leave lock empty" instruction has been removed from the gates at Cow Roast lock ?

AFAIK if you don't the lock cottage(s) still still have their cellars fill up overnight, won't they ?

I see thare are already dire warnings on Waterscape about likely restrictions next summer if water levels in the reservoirs don't recover over the winter - apparently they are asking you to only use the Aylesbury arm if you really, really have to. Must admit I can never understand that, as there always seems to be water cascading over the gates at the first few locks. :lol:

Perhaps BW has removed the notice so that the cellar can be used a as a side pound. :lol:

Certainly could have been when my brother lived there, (first cottage from the road, not the one that's up for sale). Often a "wellies" job back then!