Solar or Wind Power

Proper Job

Featured Posts

In an Internet trawl regarding solar panel etc, I couldn't help but keep coming across the grants that are available for those who live in bricks and mortar.

Grants of up to £2,500 are available for solar, wind and various other micro generation technologies

Has anyone ever applied for one for boat use?

I don't know about the availability to boat dwellers, but I do think that many of these grant schemes are a big scam at the end of the day. Funnily enough, when one of the approved companies comes to quote for the job, it nearly always ends up being the full amount of grant available. Generally speaking, it seems that the job without a grant will be a certain price. The same job with a grant will be the original price plus the amount of the grant - so you still get stung for the same amount in the end. You also need to use approved stuff from approved suppliers and have it fitted by approved installers - most of whom have paid to be on the list in the first place. All a lot of back handers is the bottom line.

We had a new gas boiler installed with a grant, and I know what boilers cost at trade price. It was only a case of removing one and connecting up a new one, but funnily enough the job cost exactly what the full grant amount was! Making the labour charge per hour an awful lot of money!

These schemes are all painted greener than green as well - though in many cases the nearest installer on the list will be driving half way across the country to get to you which hardly strikes me as the greenest way of doing things!

Andy

... I do think that many of these grant schemes are a big scam at the end of the day.

Funny you should say that...

Very recently I saw a link to a company who even had a web page that included the words "government grant" in the url. I clicked through for more information and was presented with a 'General enquiry' online form. I figured what the heck and filled it in. Before I even had time to get off my chair my mobile rang. Yes, it was that company pushing very hard for a 'consultation' at home. I explained that it was only a general enquiry out of idle curiosity and all I wanted was ball-park figures and an idea of how much grant would be available.

I got the 'We've selected your enquiry because we are offering very favourable rates to houses in your area" line.

I got the "Costs vary wildly, so we couldn't give you any kind of a figure without a no-obligation consultation" line.

I got the "We will also optimise your central heating installation free of charge which can save you 30 to 40% a year" line. (How would they know my system needs 'optimising'?)

So all-in-all it felt very like a scam, and if I were to install anything at home I certainly wouldn't use that company.

Tony

Funny you should say that...

Very recently I saw a link to a company who even had a web page that included the words "government grant" in the url. I clicked through for more information and was presented with a 'General enquiry' online form. I figured what the heck and filled it in. Before I even had time to get off my chair my mobile rang. Yes, it was that company pushing very hard for a 'consultation' at home. I explained that it was only a general enquiry out of idle curiosity and all I wanted was ball-park figures and an idea of how much grant would be available.

I got the 'We've selected your enquiry because we are offering very favourable rates to houses in your area" line.

I got the "Costs vary wildly, so we couldn't give you any kind of a figure without a no-obligation consultation" line.

I got the "We will also optimise your central heating installation free of charge which can save you 30 to 40% a year" line. (How would they know my system needs 'optimising'?)

So all-in-all it felt very like a scam, and if I were to install anything at home I certainly wouldn't use that company.

Tony

Unfortunately, this is the market that people who used to sell double-glazing and kitchens have move into.

Richard

I don't know about the availability to boat dwellers, but I do think that many of these grant schemes are a big scam at the end of the day. Funnily enough, when one of the approved companies comes to quote for the job, it nearly always ends up being the full amount of grant available. Generally speaking, it seems that the job without a grant will be a certain price. The same job with a grant will be the original price plus the amount of the grant - so you still get stung for the same amount in the end. You also need to use approved stuff from approved suppliers and have it fitted by approved installers - most of whom have paid to be on the list in the first place. All a lot of back handers is the bottom line.

We had a new gas boiler installed with a grant, and I know what boilers cost at trade price. It was only a case of removing one and connecting up a new one, but funnily enough the job cost exactly what the full grant amount was! Making the labour charge per hour an awful lot of money!

These schemes are all painted greener than green as well - though in many cases the nearest installer on the list will be driving half way across the country to get to you which hardly strikes me as the greenest way of doing things!

Andy

We live in north Suffolk and an elderly lady in the next village had her roof insulated under a grant scheme. The contractor came from Tunbridge Wells and made 3 visits in all.

We live in north Suffolk and an elderly lady in the next village had her roof insulated under a grant scheme. The contractor came from Tunbridge Wells and made 3 visits in all.

The roof insulation one certainly works as my father-in-law had his loft done through it.

Richard

The roof insulation one certainly works as my father-in-law had his loft done through it.

Richard

I'm not saying that the work won't get done, or that it won't get done properly. Just that the government are making this money available, and that each job is costing a lot more than it would normally do. So the money being spent could do a hell of a lot more good for peoples bills and for the environment.

We got a maximum grant of £2800 for our boiler as I was out of work at the time - and a new boiler at trade prices - what - 6 or 7 hundred quid? Leaving about 2 grand to connect a new boiler to the old pipes?

Andy

I'm not saying that the work won't get done, or that it won't get done properly. Just that the government are making this money available, and that each job is costing a lot more than it would normally do. So the money being spent could do a hell of a lot more good for peoples bills and for the environment.

We got a maximum grant of £2800 for our boiler as I was out of work at the time - and a new boiler at trade prices - what - 6 or 7 hundred quid? Leaving about 2 grand to connect a new boiler to the old pipes?

Andy

This is a fair point. I have absolutely no idea how much the insulators charged "the government" for this work.

Richard

Like most things the government funds, it knowingly gets ripped of and nothing is ever done about it, Mod equipment, various IT systems the list is endless!

This is a fair point. I have absolutely no idea how much the insulators charged "the government" for this work.

Richard

Charged who? Charged us don't you mean, unless you never pay any tax!

Andy

British Gas quoted us £4,500 for a totally unsuitable huge combi-boiler and they would take away the old one free!!! :lol:

Local firm fitted the correct size one for £1,850. :lol:

Got no grant though. :lol:

I had fun today with an EON salesperson(East European) who collared me in a store in London and promised she could save me money.

"Who is your supplier at present?!"

"Me"

(strange look,"no, who supplies your electricity?"

"Me"

even stranger look.

"I have solar panels and a generator"

"Well who supplies your gas then?"

"Me, from a tank"

"Oh"

"I'm really interested how you can save me money though"

"Well we have this deal and if you sign up we can save you money over .............................." :lol:

Me

I then explained ,and showed her a piccy, and also explained to her how domestic customers with similar sytems can sell back surplus electricity to firms like eon and make money, and we chatted for 20 minutes while she wasn't saving me any money, just wasting my time but gaining a dinner date...............

Hi

Several years ago i started investigating the use of solar water heating on my small bungalow, with a south facing roof. At that time the goverment ran a sheme giving i believe £500 towards the cost.(Greenskys or similar i seem to believe)

Well, i found that on the whole that solar water heating had become the new double glazing, You would not believe the costs quoted(or perhaps you would) and the systems themselves beggared belief. One "expert" who apparently advised birmingham uni.(think not!) stated that the water running throgh the collector then came straight out of your tap. What happens in winter i asked? Well the pump reverses so water fom the tank stops the collector freezing!!!!

Anyway. I eventually contacted a plumber who was so interested in solar power, he had taken himself off to germany to learn the pros and cons. He fitted a Viessman vacuum tube system. Cost to me £2500.

I used this for four years before moving, and it was brilliant.

I did not use any gas april/october, and in winter on a sunny day the water heated what ever the temperature outside.

This was a long term investment, and although i did not see the full benifit, it did more than a little to sell the house, so would certainly reccomend giving it thought.

John

Andy

That was my point Tunbridge to Lowestoft 3 times must add up to 600 miles at 30 mpg is 50 gallons of fuel, several days, lots of traveling time and who is paying for all this, US

I had fun today with an EON salesperson(East European) who collared me in a store in London and promised she could save me money.

"Who is your supplier at present?!"

"Me"

(strange look,"no, who supplies your electricity?"

"Me"

even stranger look.

"I have solar panels and a generator"

"Well who supplies your gas then?"

"Me, from a tank"

"Oh"

"I'm really interested how you can save me money though"

"Well we have this deal and if you sign up we can save you money over .............................." :lol:

Me

I then explained ,and showed her a piccy, and also explained to her how domestic customers with similar sytems can sell back surplus electricity to firms like eon and make money, and we chatted for 20 minutes while she wasn't saving me any money, just wasting my time but gaining a dinner date...............

Result!!!