To say hello or be silent?

Ange

Featured Posts

This probably only applies to a small amount of people. I'm a smoker for my sins, my husband isn't, so by mutual consent I never smoke on the boat (confined space - absolutley not fair on him - no problem). I'm also a night owl (note time of posting!)

This means I'm often sat at the front of our boat smoking a ciggie late at night. I've found it a bit of a dilemma whether to speak to walkers who happen to stroll past our boat late at night - if I stay silent and lurk in the shadows it might make them jump when they get near and see me, but recently I said a cheery hello to a chap walking past who jumped out of his skin, making me jump and nearly fall in the canal, all accompanied by his clearly upset barking dog!

Or should I sneak indoors when I hear someone coming?

Just wonder what others think.

This probably only applies to a small amount of people. I'm a smoker for my sins, my husband isn't, so by mutual consent I never smoke on the boat (confined space - absolutley not fair on him - no problem). I'm also a night owl (note time of posting!)

This means I'm often sat at the front of our boat smoking a ciggie late at night. I've found it a bit of a dilemma whether to speak to walkers who happen to stroll past our boat late at night - if I stay silent and lurk in the shadows it might make them jump when they get near and see me, but recently I said a cheery hello to a chap walking past who jumped out of his skin, making me jump and nearly fall in the canal, all accompanied by his clearly upset barking dog!

You're on your boat, you do what you like. If you want to have a quiet smoke, do it. No obligation to talk to passers by, just like if you are in your garden.

:lol:

could you set up a video next time so we can all enjoy the scene :lol:

Continue to be friendly but use one of these (cheap) little battery powered LED cupboard lights (or similar) so's to give the walkers half a chance of seeing your presence.

Continue to be friendly but use one of these (cheap) little battery powered LED cupboard lights (or similar) so's to give the walkers half a chance of seeing your presence.

Little red light on end of ciggie?

That, or develop a whistling habit. :lol:

Thanks for your replies folks - you've given me quite a giggle!

On the other hand, you could shout 'BOOO' very loudly, when they pass.

:lol:

I find moaning softly and occasionally groaning "Braiiiiiins" is a wonderful ice breaker ;)

These two made me think about all the Halloween costumes currently on sale - soooo tempting :lol:

hubby suggested shining a torch up from my chin for that super spooky look

just don't display any red lights or say or do anything digestive :lol: ............... otherwise there may be a case of towpath crawling to answer for. :o

;):lol:

I go with the 'Booo' vote :lol:

Won't they see the outline of your face as you take a deep draw on the ciggie. A bit like the gangster lurking in the shadows in the movies :lol:

surely an air horn would be best you don't want to choke on the ciggy smoke shouting out :lol:

You can speak to me any time I pass with our dog and if I see your fag end glowing I will probably speak to you first

spelling ed

Edited by ditchcrawler

Now me, I think Dave should start smoking... Problem solved!

:lol: I'll pass that suggestion on tomorrow (he's sleeping right now - another incongruity in our relationship - he's an early bird!)

You could try humming madly to yourself. Or do a Pooh tune like

Oh nobody knows tiddly pom

How cold my toes tiddly pom

how cold my toes tiddly pom

Are growing

get

when its snowing

Or similar.

They would then just avoid you and you would not need to deide whether to say "greetings pop pickers" or not.

Keith.

(1 bottle of wine and a few whiskeys have helped my spelling)

You could try humming madly to yourself. Or do a Pooh tune like

How cold my toes tiddly pom

Are growing

get

when its snowing

Or similar.

They would then just avoid you and you would not need to deide whether to say "greetings pop pickers" or not.

Keith.

(1 bottle of wine and a few whiskeys have helped my spelling)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

You bugger - you owe me a keyboard!!!

get a piece of string and tie it across the towpath, at the appropriate moment give it a tug and bite your lip {after removing your ciggy] :lol:

ooo - you folks are wicked! (but I like it :lol: )