Coventry Basin

Billypownall

Featured Posts

Newark!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what is wrong with Newark a truly wonderful town , now Worksop what a crap town.

Nothing wrong with Newark. We love it, one of our favourite moorings. However a lot of people we have spoken too have said that they have had or heard of people having trouble when moored opposite the castle on the moorings in the park rather than the locked moorings by the BW offices. As i said previously we have spent 4 or 5 days moored there this year and have witnessed no problems what so ever.

It only takes for one person to have a bad experience and then it gives a place a bad name. One couple who moored behind us bank holiday weekend where distraught that they couldnt get on the pontoon mooring as they had heard so many bad stories about the park moorings. In the end they had a great evening and realised they where wrong to worry. That doesnt mean you should let your guard down though. Leave the boat secure and tie it up in such a way that it is difficult to unrope easily by youths.

We spent a couple of nights (Friday & Saturday) in the Coventry Basin earlier this year and had no problems at all. I can see it would have been very frightening for the OP and his family - hopefully this was a fairly isolated incident.

If anyone's in the area do visit the transport museum - it really is good - possibly the best museum I've visited

Why coconuts?

It is part of a Hindu funeral rite.

Broadly speaking, Hindus believe that after death, their ashes should be cast into the waters of the ganges, along with offerings (the coconuts).

Clearly this is a challenge to Hindus in the UK, if they can't afford to have the ashes transported back to India.

So, a theological compromise has been arrived at. The ashes can be cast into any watercourse that will flow into the sea, on the basis that ultimately, the flow of the canal or river will lead some of the ashes into the oceans, the ocean currents will lead some to the mouth of the Ganges, and the tides will sweep some of it into the Ganges.

The ashes can be cast into any watercourse that will flow into the sea, on the basis that ultimately, the flow of the canal or river will lead some of the ashes into the oceans, the ocean currents will lead some to the mouth of the Ganges, and the tides will sweep some of it into the Ganges.

Although much of Grandma and Grandpa will be cleaned out of my water intake strainer when I'm doing a routine servicing. :lol:

Edited by fuzzyduck

Thanks Dave. Fuzzy, I have been on the Soar but not seen coconuts, shopping trolley round prop but no coconuts!

Didn't see any coconuts on Soar when in Dorella either. Grumpy git landlords but no coconuts!

you'll be on the lookout for em now.

But I would like to say, Ive had my will altered to state that I too would like my ashes to be flushed out of a jabsco with a garden hose at random marinas.

Edited by fuzzyduck

Very interesting....I live near Coventry...I have all my life, not exactly a Coventry kid, but close.......First trip we did this year when we got the boat was...yeah you guessed it, Coventry Basin. Of all the trips we'd done on the boat we'd never actually been to our own Basin.

Had an absolutely superb weekend......no bother on either night ...no rubbish whatsoever...coconuts yeah, but nowhere near as many as on the Soar comming up through Leicester a week or so ago. Who cares about coconuts anyway.

I got the Nicholson out and we read that...right we know Coventry I said, lets follow what he says to do in here and it will give an appreciation of what we might expect from places we dont know....So we did the Catherdral..we went into town...we had a meal in the old firestation...walked past the motor museum....had a couple of beers in a pub and went back to the boat....about 4 other boats in there with us. Had a couple of beers and got all nostalgic.

The thing is at 17 I used to walk through that basin when it was derelict on my way home from work. I worked at the Daimler works (then Jaguars Engine plant). I would come down Sandy lane and cut through the Basin...through the old buildings across the bridge and into town for a bus. So I've seen it really bad. Back then I used to get my illegal oxy/acetylene refills from Clubline on swan lane...(I used to mend cars to pay for motorbike racing).

On our way out that Sunday I stopped at the waterpoint just the other side of the tiny bridge...It was early and an old chap was walking down the Towpath towards me with a dog more decrepid than him. He stopped to chat...turned out he'd worked in the Basin right to the end...right up until it shut for good. He ended up at the ordnance works up the road..but kept living on his boat until very recently....walks down there every Sunday morning now.

I find it all incredibly depressing...the back of Courtaulds especially...I remember when that was mega busy. All the old factories gone..its horible.

Anyway sorry to here about you having problems....what does 'molested' mean - hope you weren't actually physically assaulted.

edited ..well I thought I'd better spell Courtaulds right.

Edited by z1100r

In 1995 we went to the motor museum to a home brew festival. We stayed in a hotel just up from the basin which had just been or was in the process of renovation, not sure as I had no interest whatsoever in canals or boating, thought it was beyond my means!. Just across from the front of the hotel there was a large old house, and the local yoof as they walked past kicked and banged the door and an old lady came out and shouted and waved a stick at them. This was repeated throughout dinner, poor woman.

I was also worried at the time as the only way across into the city centre was over a bridge and I was frightened of 'highwaymen' even then.

I was in Coventry last week at the CORGI Installer live awards at the Ricoh arena and all seemed peaceful but appearances can be deceptive obviously! No chance to visit the canal basin though unfortunately

Well maybe we were unlucky, but there was so much rubbish and green weed at the Coventry end that it stopped the boat completely, and we had to put an enormous amount of power on to get through the entrance bridge.

We did find out that the "Warden" who is normally based in the office in the basin had been on holiday for a week, so no clearing had been done for about ten days, but for that much rubbish to accumulate in ten days, does not say very much for those people who live alongside the Canal.

On our way out we actually counted more than ten Sofas and Armchairs half floating in the water between Coventry and Hawkesbury not to mention the hundreds of coconuts.

Three years ago we travelled through Stoke on Trent and passed through mile after mile of industrialized and developement areas, but the water was clean, and virtually rubbish free. if some cities can do it, why can't others?

Not our experience, I must admit, but it was 2 or 3 years ago we did it.

The canal was no better or worse detritus-wise than many urban areas, and certainly less flotsam in there than say when we passed through Leicester or go on the Southall to Brentford bit of the GU.

It was a little shallower than some, perhaps, but we still made good progress.

I guess my greatest apprehension would be that when we went the basin was very busy, and we took about the last obvious slot. I didn't get the impression that there were too many other options if you turn up latish, and find no moorings.

The transport museum is truly first rate, and that alone made the trip worthwhile for us.

The transport museum is truly first rate, and that alone made the trip worthwhile for us.

I agree I spent a good 3 hours in there and as you say makes the trip worthwhile. plenty else to go visit in Coventry if Motor transport is not your thing too.

I agree I spent a good 3 hours in there and as you say makes the trip worthwhile. plenty else to go visit in Coventry if Motor transport is not your thing too.

Now done 3 visits, earliest during 2002, 2008 than recently this August.

Original trip was quite depressing like any city seeing all the closed/abandoned factories & the canal was filthy.

Second trip it was still full of rubbish & apartments were appearing & factory sites being levelled & tidied, basin was full & we had to double breast & enjoyed the company of the boat along side us.

August this year we went down on the thursday morning knowing that weekends were busy (thats always been our fear of no moorings & we always ask boats coming back to Hawkesbury how busy the basin is).

We were pleased at the total lack of rubbish (No floating kids cars/bikes/planks of wood etc), not even the usual tesco bags!!

We were also worried with it being school summer holidays that the kids/youths would be troublesome, we had neither & were amazed how quiet the route was & only saw the odd jogger/dog walker.

On arrival at the basin we moored at one of the last spaces thursday lunchtime, chatted with other boat owners & shop owners, all very pleasant.

Were told by the locals that the club would be open but was policed by security during the late evening when it disgorged its clientele, never heard a whisper all night (the clubs soundproofed).

2 or 3 plastic (Blunketts) bobbies were patrolling regularly during our visit at various times of the day & the few youths hanging around were no problem.

CCTV was in evidence & positioned to cover along the path in front of the shops where we moored.

We thouroughly enjoyed our 48 hour visit to Coventry, revisiting the Motor museum, Cathedral, shops, Wetherspoons, Chinese buffet (very nice) & as daughter (14) was with us it gave her some retail therapy during our fortnights cruise!!

Daughter intends revisiting with friends, going by train from home ..so Coventry cannot be that bad :lol:

We chatted with a local (born & bred here) who had just finished his career in the merchant navy & had just returned to live in Coventry again, he told us a few stories!! but said its as safe a place as any city/town at night.

Personally i'd prefer to visit Coventry again than my home town of Luton :lol: or where i now live in Bedford, both are places to avoid at any time of day or night!!

Stories i heard during this visit said its safer in the basin than back at Hawkesbury junction where there have been a few problems apparently.

Saying all the above, i do prefer to moor in the countryside away from villages, pubs & signs of life. You cannot beat waking up in the morning to the sound of wildlife/birds/sheep/pigs/cows/foxes etc...

Each to our own i guess.

Edited by Teakbank12

Personally i'd prefer to visit Coventry again than my home town of Luton :lol:

When I said Coventry had improved immeasurably, in between living there and moving to nearby Rugby, I forgot to mention that there was a 6 month period where I had to live in Luton (Townsend) which was bound to make Coventry more appealing.

When I said Coventry had improved immeasurably, in between living there and moving to nearby Rugby, I forgot to mention that there was a 6 month period where I had to live in Luton (Townsend) which was bound to make Coventry more appealing.

I would say there are no navigable canals or rivers in Luton, so Coventry is obviously going to be more appealing.

But then, on reflection, would I rather live in Slough than Luton ? :lol:

I would say there are no navigable canals or rivers in Luton, so Coventry is obviously going to be more appealing.

But then, on reflection, would I rather live in Slough than Luton ? :lol:

Not much of a choice! Both should have considerable appeal to lovers of Asian food, though.

Not much of a choice! Both should have considerable appeal to lovers of Asian food, though.

Never noticed much in the way of quality restaurants in Luton but Coventry was excellent and the areas the best curry houses were found were also the safest, at night.

Never noticed much in the way of quality restaurants in Luton but Coventry was excellent and the areas the best curry houses were found were also the safest, at night.

One of the more pleasent things when running down the Coventry Canal to the basin is if you do it around tea time I have found the smell of exotic spices and meals cooking from the houses near the cut rather mouth watering and arrived at the basin damned hungry! :lol:

One of the more pleasent things when running down the Coventry Canal to the basin is if you do it around tea time I have found the smell of exotic spices and meals cooking from the houses near the cut rather mouth watering and arrived at the basin damned hungry! :lol:

I forget the bridge number but, where the canal runs alongside Courtaulds there is a pub (Duke of Westminster?) that did the most wonderful indian food.