Handling Course

anthony

Featured Posts

Not difficult at all Anthony, just takes a lot of practise to be able to cope with all situations. Having said that some people find it easier than others non car drivers surprisingly pick it up more quickly that others.

Not so long ago some hire companies would simply hand the keys over and point to the boat, perhaps some still do.

Not so long ago some hire companies would simply hand the keys over and point to the boat, perhaps some still do.

32658[/snapback]

Plenty of them still do, I had the misfortune to pass two Hire companies on changeover day this year and watched boat after boat leave the yard on a wobbly course as the boatyard staff waved them goodbye. At one yard three of them reversed out directly in front of me, I was already going past at snail's pace but still had to take evasive action to prevent one of the hitting me. When I complained about the lack of supervision to a member of the hire boat company staff, the reply was " Aren't you lucky to be so blxxxy perfect".

John, from most (not all) of the hirers, you'd think that was the case!

Anthony, I don't drive, and I think I've picked it up better than most. But saying that, kids do. I was 12 when I first took the tiller of a 48ft Narrowboat.

Just take it nice and easy.

Left for right, and right for left etc.

Boat pivots somewhere around the middle.

Have a centre rope handy..

We've been over this before in other threads. Just do a search :smiley_offtopic:

Hope you have a good time :lol:

Ive boked a handling course as Ive never sailed a canal boat before.

I have sailing experience in dingies but obviously its very different.

How difficult is it really?

I ask because i need to sail the boat before the course date comes up.

32655[/snapback]

Is this a new type of narrow boat with sails, Watch out for low bridges. :smiley_offtopic:

The way I explained the steering to the OH was point the tiller at what you want to MISS

Hi Anthony - got any mates in the know? That's how I've been able to get to grips with the basics, hanging around and looking puppy-eyed when they say they're off on a trip

Eventually they take pity on me and say - hey Carrie, wanna come too? Yippee!!!

For more confidence on the solo-locking side of things, I'm booked on a weekend course with T.R Boat Handling (07947 337492) cos I met the guy (Terry) and he seemed a really calm, experienced person. When's your course?

The way I explained the steering to the OH was point the tiller at what you want to MISS

32670[/snapback]

Works for the bows.

If your stern is coming close to hitting another boat, or the bank etc, then it's best to point the tiller away from the object.

Works for the bows.

If your stern is coming close to hitting another boat, or the bank etc, then it's best to point the tiller away from the object.

32682[/snapback]

Agreed but with this method it kept her in a fairly straight line, its amazing how many miles there are in one mile of canal :smiley_offtopic:

When she got used to it the 'natural instinct' she had to push or pull in the wrong direction was controlled then we carried on to the complicated stuff.

Then of course there was the other problem of speed control. :lol:

Bottle, lol.

Speed control? I always thought it was..

Push it forward until it stops (just to make sure) to go forward.. and pull it right as far as it will (just to make sure again) go to reverse..

Bottle, what was the more complicated stuff?

If you've sailed dingys, you will already have the nateral reflexs required for tiller work.

- The boat is obvoulsey longer, heavyer, and slower. So you have to get the feel of the delay involved. As soon as it starts to move the right way you can strighten up already!

- The boat wil pivot about a third of the way from the front, and will turn much faster when accelerating, so if there a steep bend, slow down early, and then you can always give it some bean round the corner to get the stearage nessary.

- Also depending on the direction of the prop, the boat will naterally turn better one way than the other, espcially in reverse when the rudder has a lot less affect.

Daniel

There's loads of tips and info we can all share about getting on the tiller.

How to wind, how to moor up, approach locks, bridges etc..

But, I think, the only way to get any knowledge, is to get some experience.. and get on the tiller and enjoy yourself :smiley_offtopic:

If I could offer just one bit of advice...Take it slow.

One of the biggest problems that people new to narrowboats

face is that they under estimate the weight and inertia of a steel boat.

If you go slow at the beginning and you misjudge things (and you

will), you a) have sufficient time to correct and think about

how the boat is responding to your touch and :smiley_offtopic: if you hit anything,

it won't do much damage.

Good Luck - enjoy..

If I could offer just one bit of advice...Take it slow.

Fair comment, but remember that the slower you go, the less control you have over steering. I've often seen boats hitting lock sides and bridges because they are going too gingerly, and wonder why nothing happens when they turn the tiller.

also remember that in shallow water the tiller will becomew much less effective. I had a disconcerting experience on the Caldon where I was heading for a corner with tiller hard over and the boat resolutely going straight on!

What do you do about fishermen?

Thanks for the tips.

32762[/snapback]

Avoid them, they dont seem to like being hit with a boat!

Seriously, most fishermen leave it about a thousand of a second before your bow reaches them before they pull the line out of the water.

I generally slow down past lots of fishermen/women, make sure they know you are there as you dont want their lines wrapped around the propeller.

I'm sure you will go cruising past a few who look like you shouldn't be allowed on a canal with a boat, almost like they own the place !

Edited by stuart

What do you do about fishermen?

Slow down a bit, and then really upset them by nodding or saying a cheery "good Morning" as you go past.

More seriously, stick to the middle of the channel unless they indicate otherwise. Don't worry if they seem to be leaving the rod across your path, they will always lift it in time.

Importantly, don't be intimidated by them; if they are fishing in a winding hole it's their problem when you stir it up as you need to use plenty of power, the same goes for coming out of lift bridges, locks etc. There's hundreds of miles for them to fish in, so if they are dull enough to pick an inappropriate spot that is their problem.

Most fishermen are fine, and are few are downright friendly but there are a few really thick ones.

This particular minority sit with several cans of lager and often fall asleep

while fishing. If you run over their lines because you were irresponsible enough not to have noticed that their eyes were closed, they will shout abuse and threaten all kinds of bodily harm (especially when they are forced to snap said lines because they cannot untangle the filament that has been wrapped 300 times round your propeller shaft).

I'm sure you are quite capable of looking after yourself, but my policy is to be polite, invite them on to your deck to clear the lines themselves (they never do and back away like a vampire being offered a holy water cocktail) and never step ashore to remonstrate with them.

Lastly, if you are forced to go ashore to work a lock or a lift bridge, take a windlass and don't let them provoke you into hitting them first.

Having said that, most just seem to think that they pay an extortionate angling licence and everybody else are freeloaders.

Most fishermen are fine, and are few are downright friendly but there are a few really thick ones.

This particular minority sit with several cans of lager and often fall asleep

while fishing. If you run over their lines because you were irresponsible enough not to have noticed that their eyes were closed, they will shout abuse and threaten all kinds of bodily harm (especially when they are forced to snap said lines because they cannot untangle the filament that has been wrapped 300 times round your propeller shaft).

I'm sure you are quite capable of looking after yourself, but my policy is to be polite, invite them on to your deck to clear the lines themselves (they never do and back away like a vampire being offered a holy water cocktail) and never step ashore to remonstrate with them.

Lastly, if you are forced to go ashore to work a lock or a lift bridge, take a windlass and don't let them provoke you into hitting them first.

Having said that, most just seem to think that they pay an extortionate angling licence and everybody else are freeloaders.

Also remember that in shallow water the tiller will becomew much less effective.

-  I had a disconcerting experience on the Caldon where I was heading for a corner with tiller hard over and the boat resolutely going straight on!

You may have been on the bottom ofcause, this happens to us every day, as soon as any part of the boat touches you lose all steerage and just slid forward along the mud/stone bottom

Daniel