Handling Course

anthony

Featured Posts

Cheers Jon. Here's an account of my weekend too.

We set off from Norbury Junction on the Shroppie, Saturday morning. 'We', being Terry, a couple who had some boating experience from hiring holidays and myself. The weather was cold and rainy and windy, but it didn't matter at all!

The boat was an ex-hire, 58ft cruiser stern, with enough space for us to have separate sleeping & bathroom compartments (with doors to close each area off), which was a relief cos I thought we'd be too cosy!

Three learners was a good number. I had worried about not getting my fair share of learning, but all-day boating & locking & nerves turned out to be totally knackering and I was glad to sit back and watch and learn for part of the time! I had to borrow some of Terry's wet weather gear as my mac was rubbish. Everyone else had waterproof boots or shoes and I had soaked trainers. Nice one Carrie.

The rain eased off and the canal was very pretty. We learnt how to get out of problems quickly, how to come alongside & leave a mooring, using the tiller and throttle. No use of poles or pushing off with hands throughout! Reversing, bridges, locks, ropes, knots, rescuing, engine checks, some maintenance, single-handed locking, winding, anchors, gas, diesel, petrol safety, signals etc.

Terry asked us questions all the time to check we knew what we were doing. We stopped near a canalside pub for evening meal and had lots of beer & wine. Good fun, good company & conversation. SLEEEEEP!

We had a very early start (breakfast at 7-ish) as we had a good distance to cover and it got dark so early. It was VERY windy which was a really good experience for us, then we changed at Aldersley junction up the Staffs & Worc canal towards Haywood Junction. A pretty winding stretch with lots of sharp bends under bridges. The rain stopped, the sun came out. I was just getting cocky when I came under a bridge too far right and saw a boat coming fast. All I could do was to continue over to rest on the right edge and wave him on. I guess we all have to be embrrassing wallys from time to time!

I got to have a go at doing a lock alone, which is something I wanted to try out. Anyway, I feel like I've gained loads of confidence over the weekend. I still need practice, but I know I can drive a narrowboat!

The best thing I learnt was about paddling. Don't know how many people use this, but it's widish, vigorous swings to the tiller (to the left or the right) to get the boat to respond quicker and better. I only mention this because I've never seen my 3 three friends on their boats, use it and I found it to be really useful.

Finally, just want to say, Terry was the right guy for me to choose to train with. I can't stand being patronised or bullied and he was a model of calm, patient expertise. He will also coach people on their own boats.

Contact details:

T.R Boat Handling (Terry Robertson)

tel: 01785 824 012

Cost: £150 for 2 days (I didn't ask about single days and I know you can do 3 days together too)

Oh yes, I forgot. I was also collected from the station and taken back there again afterwards. Bedding was available and breakfast and lunch were included in the price. We paid for our own pub meal in the evening, but Terry had a good stash of cider etc for us on board!

I was lucky, my course with LNBP was paid for by the local scout group (I'm one of their steerers) we had it as part of the Community Boat Management Course. We used "paddling", very handy when winding. The best thing we did though was bring the 70ft boat into the bank between two poles sticking out into the canal from the towpath 75ft apart without touching them! I did it on my second attempt, we gave much amusement to passing boaters!! It was a great week and the trainers were really nice people.

he best thing we did though was bring the 70ft boat into the bank between two poles sticking out into the canal from the towpath 75ft apart without touching them!

I'm impressed!

However it is not so much mooring up in the gap between two boats that is my problem - I can usually fit in to a fairly tight gap without hitting much - but estimating in advance whether the gap is big enough.

When looking for a mooring, there you are passing some boats and there is a gap ahead. No way will it fit in there you think, then as you pass it you realise there is 10 ft to spare.

Am I alone in finding it difficult to judge whether the boat will fit in a gap, or are there some tricks to help estimate the length of the gap?