John Jinks - a tribute

Laurence Hogg

Featured Posts

Nice breaking wave too ............

That's the Marston 'New Cut' which is concrete lined, he won't have been doing much harm :lol:

I remember him breaking about 4" of ice with the Severn Dolphin (Taygeta) when it had an HA3, no ice ram required on that Middle Northwich....

Tim

I have the John Jinks/Hercules video on one of Laurence's DVD which is entitled "23 tons to Anderton."

But surely the load was greater than that?

Small Woolwich motors regularly loaded over 20 tons - Comet in Roger Alsop's book "Working Boats" had 22 tons and still had about 6 ins more of dry side than Hercules.

So I would estimate that Hercules had nearer 27 tons which is quite a load for such a boat - unless there was ballast aboard or a particularly thick replacement bottom.

I'd recommend the full video on LH's Working Boats disc - much more to watch and less gimmicky special effects.

Can't get that bloody tune out of my head though!

Paul H

Edited by Paul H

So I would estimate that Hercules had nearer 27 tons which is quite a load for such a boat - unless there was ballast aboard or a particularly thick replacement bottom.

Paul H

An elm bottom will have roughly zero effective weight (saturated elm will sink, but not 'like a stone'). Steel will contribute most of its weight to the 'load', because it's so much denser than water. I've had Hercules on the dock here but can't honestly remember how thick the bottom is. If it was a Northwich repair yard job, it's likely to be 'solid' :lol: But then the boat with a wooden bottom will draw more for the same apparent waterline.

My head hurts already, someone else can work it out... :lol:

Tim

Edited by Timleech

(snip)

But then the boat with a wooden bottom will draw more for the same apparent waterline.

My head hurts already, someone else can work it out... :lol:

Tim

Just the difference between the thickness of steel plate - quarter inch say - and three inches of Elm: two and three quarter inches (for the same water line depth).

Nice little tribute, and thanks for showing it. Just a personal thing, but the only sounds I like to hear are the sounds of the boats and the cut, so the mute button was in use. The jerky effects don't go with what were still shots either, I think it would have been better if it had been kept 'clean'. Sepia and B&W are fine but not the reproduced scratchy and jumpy stuff.

Nice set of shots nonetheless, thanks. Never knew Mr Jinks, but must have seen him sometime, he looks familiar. Got a picture of Hercules somewhere, tied up at Middlewich.

Derek

Not much of shot really. I think this was 1988:

HerculesMiddlewich.jpg

Excellent work Lawrence, very much enjoyed the film, its my home stretch of waterways so know every part of it. What were the circumstances of making the video? why was he carrying along that short length? Regarding the shots of the working boats from times past, were they boats that John knew?

Charles

Excellent work Lawrence, very much enjoyed the film, its my home stretch of waterways so know every part of it. What were the circumstances of making the video? why was he carrying along that short length? Regarding the shots of the working boats from times past, were they boats that John knew?

Charles

At the time it was the last of several loads he had carried to the site, John phoned me and asked if I wanted to go and film, which I did. Hercules had already some ballast in her and machinery so the 23 tons added to that. The other pictures are from John's collection and are boats he ran and knew. I was remastering "Working Boats 1" and therefore had the film on the system, this allowed me to make the youtube film. "23 tons from Anderton" is considerably longer on the DVD. On that day the moored boat you see in one shot took from the gunnel was called "Once in a lifetime", now sadly it seems a omen as we never went out boating after that.

She is still earning her keep, too.

I passed Hercules going hell for leather imbetween Christleton and Beeston on the Shroppie at the end of July towing a mud hopper.

I think its great these old girls are still out there on the canal showing that the best designs will live forever and do the jobs, and more, that they were designed for.