Who Are The Most Manic Summer Hoiliday Boaters

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

I have received a PM from Graham ('Alnwick') this morning on this topic.

He suggests that "extreme boating" is a better term to use for people who choose to put in long days, or travel long distances, rather than "manic boating".

Yes, that will do as a term, although it wories me that we seemed to get so hung up on a word, when it was clear that what was meant was not the bald dictionary definition.

I have received a PM from Graham ('Alnwick') this morning on this topic.

He suggests that "extreme boating" is a better term to use for people who choose to put in long days, or travel long distances, rather than "manic boating".

I accept that suggestion, although I expect many will find either wording out of line with how they choose to boat!

For the avoidance of any doubt, I do not see 4mph either as some speed that one is entitled to boat at without question, nor as some holy grail that we should all aspire to.

I believe everybody should not boat at speeds greater than are sensible for canal conditions, and at speed that will not make life difficult for others. I would hope that not many forum members, even novices, would misunderstand what I was asking.

I do not take the point that everybody should be allowed to move as slowly as they wish, without ever moving over to let faster boats pass, nor that there should be absolutely no urgency in clearing locks when the cut is busy, and queues are building up.

I would love to have no restrictions on the time I, Cath and my family have to boat, but the reality is it will be many years before we can cast off and spend all summer getting to and from wherever we want to go. I could be dead before then, and life is too short to not be enjoying as many canals as I can get to now.

Maybe one day we can back off to "Zimmer Boating"!

p.s. I am not sure if a dictionary definition makes a big difference between "manic boating" and "maniac boating" - I certainly never meant to imply the latter!

I don't really care what label is used other than I dislike most labels. Why we have to pigeon hole each other into one kind of boater or another then get enoyed at all those that are not like us or are CCers etc is beyond me. Perhaps we should all try and be less tribal about it.

Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of how many miles you do or locks you go through in a day many or few as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter.

Sadly I think this is a scenario where forum moderation has made an issue not solved one.

I don't really care what label is used other than I dislike most labels. Why we have to pigeon hole each other into one kind of boater or another then get enoyed at all those that are not like us or are CCers etc is beyond me. Perhaps we should all try and be less tribal about it.

Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of how many miles you do or locks you go through in a day many or few as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter.

Sadly I think this is a scenario where forum moderation has made an issue not solved one.

Well, I haven't actually noticed any forum moderation going on here.

As far as I can see, Graham has contributed to the discussion in a private capacity, rather than ex-cathedra.

As to labels; Yes labels can be divisive, but they are also a useful tool to allow us to discuss things. They are a shorthand way of grouping a particular range of behavuiours, and contrasting those behaviours with other behaviours. Without labels it would be difficult to discuss anything!

Perhaps we should do that, and pretend that we are all the same (or sufficiently similar that we need not describe the differences), and then we can all stop having anything to talk about!

There is a spectrum of boating styles, ranging from the sedate to the extreme, all of which accomodate others, and suit the participants. Outside this continuum, there are further spectra of "getting under the feet to a greater or lesser extent" boaters at one end and "tear-arsing around destroying the tranquility" boaters at the other.

We celebrate the diversity of the middle band, and grumble about the outer bands. Why is that a problem?

You say; "Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of how many miles you do or locks you go through in a day many or few as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter.", but to some it is important, they enjoy the achievement of what they have done as others might enjoy a couple of hours moored watching wildlife. You would appear to be laying down what others should be permitted to enjoy, based on what you enjoy.

As we've now decided that "manic" is to be replaced by "extreme" ( :lol: ), am I to take it that the term "manic depression" refers to people who are depressed at speeds in excess of 3.5mph?

Doesn't "extreme" conjure up images of metal-tinted eyewear wearing loons engaged in activities liable to cause personal injury? Doesn't seem to alter the sense of the title in the manner in which is was intended.

Perhaps we should rename the thread "Who are the Summer Holiday Boaters who-do-the-most-boating-in-any-given-period-of-time-whilst-obeying-local-byelaws-and travelling-at-conscientious-speeds-with-due-respect-to-others" (gasp) to benefit the more literally minded amongst us?

You say; "Boating is supposed to be fun regardless of how many miles you do or locks you go through in a day many or few as long as you are enjoying yourself it doesn't matter.", but to some it is important, they enjoy the achievement of what they have done as others might enjoy a couple of hours moored watching wildlife. You would appear to be laying down what others should be permitted to enjoy, based on what you enjoy.

No you misunderstand what I was trying to say. I am and have not in this thread laid down how someone should enjoy their boating I am saying it matters not how you enjoy it as long as you do. So whether one enjoys long hours and many miles and locks in a day or shorter days with some lazing about on the towpath it is all good. In fact I expect many people are niether one or the other it just depends on mood and where you need to be.

I can easily understand as I have said in posts further up how the sense of achievement and satisfaction of reaching a challenging goal is enjoyable but it can be just as enjoyable to take another approach. I am not saying anyone must do as I do.

Edited by churchward

As we've now decided that "manic" is to be replaced by "extreme" ( :lol: ), am I to take it that the term "manic depression" refers to people who are depressed at speeds in excess of 3.5mph?

Doesn't "extreme" conjure up images of metal-tinted eyewear wearing loons engaged in activities liable to cause personal injury? Doesn't seem to alter the sense of the title in the manner in which is was intended.

Perhaps we should rename the thread "Who are the Summer Holiday Boaters who-do-the-most-boating-in-any-given-period-of-time-whilst-obeying-local-byelaws-and travelling-at-conscientious-speeds-with-due-respect-to-others" (gasp) to benefit the more literally minded amongst us?

Hey chill out dude. I'm off to get me a really tech windlass and some radical titanium alloy piling hooks

Richard

Yo! To the Max

It's been posted before, but this is more how I actually view "extreme" canalling......

Now if I could only do that with the boat, we would get our personal best at Farmer's Bridge down very considerably...........

It's been posted before, but this is more how I actually view "extreme" canalling......

Now if I could only do that with the boat, we would get our personal best at Farmer's Bridge down very considerably...........

BW didnt accept that i was trying to get my PB whilst trapping alng through Brayford. :lol:

Hey chill out dude. I'm off to get me a really tech windlass and some radical titanium alloy piling hooks

Richard

Yo! To the Max

I'm in the fridge, but I still don't feel any better.

Speaking of misleading topic titles, though, what about the one with "jackass boating" in the title? Just had a scan through that and was most disappointed not to find any tales of people nailing their genitalia to lock gates for a larf. What is going on?

Having a quick look in while waiting at Benson lock - the boat in front obviously didn't tell the lock keeper that we were following. Not surprised really because they passed us about half a mile back with their engines screaming and making a huge breaking wash that rocked us about all over the place.

There are frequent signs along the River Thames reminding boaters that the speed limit is 8 kph and that under no circumstances should boats cause a breaking wash. We were making just under 8 kph when the boat overtook us and without wishing to re-enter the argument about manic boating, I reckon that is a good example of the sort of behaviour that I object to!

These inconsiderate, irresponsible, selfish and 'couldn't care less' types do nothing to benefit the enjoyment of the waterways for the community at large . . .

And Axiom propeller ? :lol:

Hey, no man. That's just mainline heavy money - true!

Graham, I think you have identified that there is extreme boating and then there is still manic boating.

Richard

The other end of the scale:-

Lionheart No 2, summer trip, 2004, Four Counties ring, 3 months, 1 week, 2 days. And we cruised every single day.

Gibbo

Cool :lol: Just enough cruising to charge the batteries huh?

I think the laziest we have been is taking all week to go up and down the Ashby. The most Manic extreme is probably doing the Chesire ring in the late 1970s in under a week. Which was a lot more effort in those days than it is now particularly the Rochdale 9.

Having a quick look in while waiting at Benson lock - the boat in front obviously didn't tell the lock keeper that we were following. Not surprised really because they passed us about half a mile back with their engines screaming and making a huge breaking wash that rocked us about all over the place.

There are frequent signs along the River Thames reminding boaters that the speed limit is 8 kph and that under no circumstances should boats cause a breaking wash. We were making just under 8 kph when the boat overtook us and without wishing to re-enter the argument about manic boating, I reckon that is a good example of the sort of behaviour that I object to!

These inconsiderate, irresponsible, selfish and 'couldn't care less' types do nothing to benefit the enjoyment of the waterways for the community at large . . .

And none of the commercial operaters observe the rule. The Salters Cruisers and the freight barges travel at considerably more than 8kmh, to the point that one has to cross their wash at right angle to prevent the risk of rolling over, and as for the Thames Conservancy and River Police boats, are they designed for aquaplaning?

Edited by David Schweizer

And none of the commercial operaters observe the rule. The Salters Cruisers and the freight barges travel at considerably more than 8kmh, to the point that one has to cross their wash at right angle to prevent the risk of rolling over, and as for the Thames Conservancy and River Police boats, are they designed for aquaplaning?

Just planing

I have to say that the two Salters vessels that we encountered were extremely good - in fact I had made an awful hash of getting into Iffley Lock - completely misjudged my approach and had to reverse back and do a near 360 degree turn in front of the weir to get it right - while the big Salters trip boat was waiting patiently to wind themselves. They just waited and gave a smile and a wave before showing us all how to do it properly!

Edited by NB Alnwick

As a person who has had the extreme pleasure (or is that manic) of skippering a Salters steamer (and yes they are a pleasure to 'drive'). They don't cause a wash unless the river is shallow or has a very shallow gradient from the banks.

But, by heck, they have a hell of a wake and push an invisible wall of water along in front of them if being 'pushed' :lol:

I would say that your general comment about commercial operators and EA/police boats is a rare exception and certainly not normal

Edited by Proper Job

Did the four counties in 6 days ...
Yes 4CR and Hurleston to Llangollen and back in the seven days of a hireboat week: once in student days in 1972, and again in 2000 just to prove we hadn't lost the knack. First time was 199mls 136locks, in April so using 88% of available daylight; second time was in July, so even more light: slightly further because of turning the 70' in Nantwich basin but failing to do the turn Southwards on the way out, and having to reverse back into the basin to unturn, etc. Ho hummm.

So week trips with over a hundred miles and over a hundred locks: this one was good:

(15jun74) 244mls 250locks using 114% of available daylight, comprising both AvonRing and WarwickshireRing on a 70' camping-boat. We covered both of the H - verticals of Lapworh Junction North-to-South without even going across the middle (before the Lapworth Link), and none of the route was repeated, or covered in both directions (except the bit up and back to Rugby Wharf) if that makes sense. We did this one again in 2005, but in a lazy fortnight :-)

(27may94) 203mls 184locks 92% of daylight - Stockton Top to Middlewich via Llangollen

(14apr73) 198mls 233locks 98% of daylight Warwickshire Ring, Tardebigge, Severn and S&W

(26apr80) 196mls 128locks 86% of daylight Cheshire Ring and Ellesmere Port

and another thirty-three one-week trips with 100mls+ and 100locks+ over the years.

Some fortnight megatrips:

(2sep78) 439mls 169locks 102% of daylight - L&L, Trent, Erewash, Caldon T&M

(6sep80) 407mls 291locks 98% of daylight, Oxford Thames GU from Rugby

(25may91) 407mls 224locks 82% of daylight, Middlewich to Sheffield and back via T&M and Trent - a year that a man-from-Asda had closed the L&L as a through route, thus denying a repeat of the 1978 trip.

Manic? Extreme? Hmmm. 'Intrepid' maybe (for the long hours), Efficient, hopefully. Certainly 'fun'.

25. No person shall:

(f) Cause or allow any vessel to remain in a lock longer than is necessary for the convenient passage thereof.

We have come across a crew whose convenience included eating their lunch in a lock, and were not keen to give up their cup-ot-tea thereafter to let us through.

most of us would object to activities which intrude into the peaceful calm that these waterways normally provide.
However leisurely person-X is, it's possible to find an even-more-leisurely person-Y whose slowness is outside the toleration-boundary or trip-contingency of person-X. It's something we have to find an accommodation for, between us all. But asserting out own leisurelyness, effeciciency, or whatever, and saying that's 'ideal' or 'better', just doesn't help.

One practical suggestion: let's measure speed in MINUTES PER MILE. Then we have lots of gradation between 20mpm (normal progress on a 'normal' narrow canal) to 15mpm (southern GU occasionally on a straight-bit-between all-the-moored boats if there are no keep-nets about)

And 18mpm really does feel different to 20 or 16.